Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Why not two AC at once

we have a fleetwood flair 32 ft with two ac unites. 30 amp service looking around and reading isee where it said i could run the two ac with the generator but one at time when plug in out side power. what would be the reason you could not wire it to run at same time when plug in to out side power i do not think you would need have not used any yet just bought like i said just thinking [ to much time on my hands lol]
thank

angelo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your generator puts out more amps then what you normally get from shore power. That's why it will run two A/C's.

Each A/C will consume about 12-14 amps each when running and compressor is on.

You could re-wire the rear A/C to work on a separate power cord that you would run from the 20 amp receptacle to the RV.

Front A/C using your 30 amp shore power cord and rear A/C using another shore power cord plugged into the 20 amp receptacle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Our Airstream has a 50 amp supply cord, but when we are hooked to a 30 amp supply we can usually run both airconditioners - but of course not much else. Obviously depends on what circuit breaker is on the shore end.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

when i read this thread, i couldn't hold but laughing... in past couple days i have been thinking why mine was configured exactly opposite - i have two ac units, the controller has zone 1 and zone 2, normally i would expect zone 1 for galley and zone 2 for bedroom... but, but, but... the reality is - zone 1 is not connected, zone 2 controls both ac's. in another word, i can not run only one ac at any given time... god knows why they did it that way.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
when i read this thread, i couldn't hold but laughing... in past couple days i have been thinking why mine was configured exactly opposite - i have two ac units, the controller has zone 1 and zone 2, normally i would expect zone 1 for galley and zone 2 for bedroom... but, but, but... the reality is - zone 1 is not connected, zone 2 controls both ac's. in another word, i can not run only one ac at any given time... god knows why they did it that way.
What thermostat system do you have? It is possible some one changed a AC board and set the switches wrong. so both boards are set for zone 2.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
What thermostat system do you have? It is possible some one changed a AC board and set the switches wrong. so both boards are set for zone 2.
duo-therm/dometic "comfort center".
Old 09-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
duo-therm/dometic "comfort center".
I have the same system and you can set each zone temp individually.
Zone 1 is the front A/C- heat pump and Zone 2 is the bedroom A/C - heat pump.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

My 05 Inspire is zone 1 in front zone 2 in back also. Where ever the wife is-that's the one that's on.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

On your control board there is a set of switches which will have what they turn on next to them. the list will read zone 2, zone 3, zone 4, heat strip, furnace, ECT. the board for zone 1 should not have any zone switches flipped it sounds like both of your AC boards are set for zone 2 which is why they come on together.

This pic shows a board set for zone 1 with no options.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

I have a 33 ft flair. 2004. I am in Maine right now 84 degrees . My 30 amp service is running 2 airs with no problem. Even watching tv.My ECCis taking good care of us. If I use microwave it will shutoff one compressor until done then turn back on.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why can you not run them both at one time on 30 amp shore power?
Eva Gabor Disease of course... I will explain.. She played Mrs. Oliver Douglass on the TV show Green Acres and was always plugging in so many appliances that she blew the generator (he did not have mains power on the old Haney Place he got suckered into buying)

Now enough tv

I have two air conditioners, one is a 13,500 BTU Carrier Air V and the other is a 15,000 BTU Advent air upgrade to a Carrier Air V,, Both draw 13.5 amps EACH
That is running, total draw running (And yes I measure it) is 27 amps. MOST park breakers will carry 27 amps for a while, but not for long.

Fridge 3.5 amps Add that to the 27 above and you now have 30.5

Converter.. 1-11 amps

TVs, Computers, VCR/DVR, Sat receiver, Radio and other low power stuff 1-2 amps

Add it up.. With just the fridge we broke 30 amps

Now, the generator,,,,, Is likey a 5,000 or 5500 watt device, it has both a 30 amp breaker and a 20 amp, the 20 amp is for the rear Air Conditioner (And nothing else) 5500 watts is 50 amps at 110 volts.(If power factor is 1.0, but you do not need to get into it that far)

So now you know,, 30 amps you can run both A/C. but you can not even put the Fridge on A/C, your house batteries have to be at full charge and even watching TV (Which greatly ups it's power draw) can trip the breaker... So can the compressor re-starting.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
On your control board there is a set of switches which will have what they turn on next to them. the list will read zone 2, zone 3, zone 4, heat strip, furnace, ECT. the board for zone 1 should not have any zone switches flipped it sounds like both of your AC boards are set for zone 2 which is why they come on together.

This pic shows a board set for zone 1 with no options.
thanks. i tried to open up the "comfort center" but to no avail. fearing to break it, so, could shed some light on how to take it part?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
CountryFit,

That board is located in each of your rooftop A/C's not in your 5 Button Comfort Control Center.

Each board has to have the Dip Switches set appropriately otherwise they won't work correctly.

Do you have the manuals for the A/C's and the 5 button CCC?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #14

we only have a 30 amp plug and I run both A/C's all the time during the days. The T-stat may do some load sharing however I just turn them both on and let it go. The only issues I had with running both is off my 20amp garage circuit with a 12/3 extension cord. They will run for 30 minutes or so before tripping the breaker. The time it happened I didn't realize the rear A/C was on.