Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #1

WHY RV sway may be a good thing ! ?damage?

WOW so ... yeah i know i am about to get it from all sides but i think it really needs to be talked about

i wish i had better editing software but i did what i could and hope many under stand what i am trying to say and show in the video

this post is to talk about the good side and bad side of reducing RV sway as installing HD sway bars air bag control systems and HD shocks and to help make a list of RVs that are really safe for these types of updates made by are RV community

giving today's low cost manufacturing these type of damages is being seen with out these types of add on,s and as they say a truck rids like a truck

i would full screen the video as you cant see alot of the info in the video that you cant in the small window

there are i know many of you that have installed many updates like this and we want to hear from you but befor you do i want you to think about a few things and if you have seen this happen to your RV tell us as i would like to see this post become a info page THEN see many posts saying i have had it for years

things we would like to know if this has worked out nicely for you
that updates did you use
was your RV stored under cover out of the rain
what are the miles driven with said update as time installed is not a factor
did any thing show up that was side in the video like water leaks

there are many tipes and tricks to see if this some thing like this is happening to you

blue painters tap ..... add one piece to the windshield and piece to the dash butted up to each other with a black line on them

if the windshield is moving in place you well see it move on the line with the tap .. if it is had to see and you have a gopro then you can set it to take video and look at it after your trip

tipe 2 you can find many types of red lasers are any hardware store
in a longer class A rv this lasere can be temp installed on the inside of the roof over your bed in the back of the RV and aiming it to a spot on the dash well show the large amount of movement in any RV

all so if any one feels i have said some thing wrong or that i could word it better in the video i am ok with that as not every one can be right
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

here is some reference on just one of the air systems you can install

again i am not bashing on any ones product line at all but if any one can better help us to under stand how there system works it would be the maker of said system

i have seen SS post here befor and i would like them to talk more about how there air say system works

what troubles me is what is said 49s in

Old 12-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

This should be an interesting thread to watch!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
This should be an interesting thread to watch!
i just hope this thread becomes more info then drama and some real info can come of it

i see you as well have alot of updates like this .. you have any windows or water leaks pop up and you cant seem to get to go away

i hope we get some good RV owners out there and have alot of miles on said updates and not biased on said info to defend there purchase
Old 12-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
i just hope this thread becomes more info then drama and some real info can come of it

i see you as well have alot of updates like this .. you have any windows or water leaks pop up and you cant seem to get to go away

i hope we get some good RV owners out there and have alot of miles on said updates and not biased on said info to defend there purchase
No problems so far, no leaks or separations. I've got about 10,000 mi on my modifications. Improved ride, real good on sway control, very good on side winds and semis don't bother it. However, with mine being the Ford F-53 chassis with a front engine and springs, it's a different animal than what you were analyzing.

You've really done some in-depth work there and it'll be interesting to see what diesel pusher owners say.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
No problems so far, no leaks or separations. I've got about 10,000 mi on my modifications. Improved ride, real good on sway control, very good on side winds and semis don't bother it. However, with mine being the Ford F-53 chassis with a front engine and springs, it's a different animal than what you were analyzing.

You've really done some in-depth work there and it'll be interesting to see what diesel pusher owners say.

thank you

it did take me some time to make the video and giving what i did for a living on moving loads this type of work

if this works out well i well make more videos on how and why on slides and other parts of the RV
Old 12-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Terry;
Well thought out and presented thoughts on the topic. I hope it will provoke a meaningful discussion. There will be thoughts from both sides of the topic, hopefully posted with objective facts.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

I love it_ "improved shocks should be installed to increase carrying capacity."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

slide damage ? did you do that ? or is it my RV

here is one more to think about

this is again for class A with longer slides

small bed / type of slide installed this way is not a factor
Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I love it_ "improved shocks should be installed to increase carrying capacity."
yes there are many HD shocks with helper springs or airbag in them

you see them all the time on a C7500 and other HD trucks

fast pic of any one i could find there for a car but i am sure you get it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4014e.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	81158   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	81159  

Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #11

terry you should know, none of those things increase legal carrying capacity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Waaaaay too technical for this old boy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you saying this would be the same for the Ford chassi (53) gas
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many issues have two sides, I know that, for example, the government wants us to burn booze in our gas tanks cause it burns cleaner (True) and we are saving oil (False, takes more than a gallon of oil to make a gallon of booze and you do not get as much energy out of booze)

I think many of the issues cited here are like that, There is a "Flip Side" to the coin,, The sway one being the biggest,, How much stress (And thus damage) does a RV Body cause to the frame when it sways back and forth v/s the stress put on it by controlling the sway.. The video, shows one side, what is the "Flip Side"?

I'm only asking questions here, not suggesting answers, Though this rubs up against my field, Well...Not enough overlap.