Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
We carry a coleman stove and a coleman outdoor kitchen which we sit up when we camp. We really like to cook outside and spend as much time as we can outside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #58

I carry an electric grittle and and cookerput it on a folding table an I an cooking out side. We very seldon cook inside.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #59

Country Coach Owners Club
We rent a Grand Tour, and one (of the many options) it has is an "outside kitchen". Not a big fan at all. 1) Bays are already very limited, 2) only includes two induction burner, dorm size fridge and a coiled water hose small work top and tiny storage area. Does have a connection for natural gas connection for BBQ. Just wasn't a good use of space IMO. See it here: http://www.sharemycoach.com/Vehicle-...20%201883.aspx
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #60

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's the brochure for that above-linked 2009 Newmar. You're correct. If you look at Picture #14, it seems it's a separate additional inside kitchen in the rear of the motorhome where you would just serve the food on the shelf. There's a pullout grill below. To me, that's just wasted space. I'm sure it didn't sell well.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-conten...mebrochure.pdf
The reason the AllStar went out of production is because Spartan quit making the mid engine diesel chassis. Newmar was the only one using it and there just weren't enough sales to continue the chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Then you would probably love a 2009 Newmar All Star!!! The kitchen opens up to the outside.

Here is one that MHSRV had at one point

Used 2009 Newmar All Star
Umm, kinda lose the bedroom space there.

I have a compartment that is full passthrough just behind the front axle. I intend to put a slide out fridge/freezer and counter/sink above that for the fun side of the coach. I have a nice Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner (30,000 BTU ea) grill box. griddle and oven accessories that will set up nicely on the patio and store well in the same bay. I will add the required plumbing for the sink and a propane hookup. Other patio equipment would go in the same bay from the other side.

There is a window between mid entry door and passenger window that is in an area I plan to convert into an office/entertainment center and would like to build in an outside TV in the window opening since the window would be blocked during the office conversion anyway, for games etc while tailgating or just having fellow travelers visit us at our camp. I prefer to be outside whenever possible. Food and fun are better shared than solo IMHO. But then I love cooking and grilling so.....

Link to the page where I will post the updates is in the sig below. Waiting for the off season to get her ready for next year.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #62

Having a kitchen on a DC motor slide out was a MUST for me. We enjoy the outdoors and cooking outside. This is especially true when the summer temp hit 85+ degrees AND when the wife wants to run the convention oven inside!

Our coach has a gas hook directly to the 30 gallon main propane tank, the grill hooks up to the galley slide out, a sink with hot and cold running water and plenty of stainless steel counter space for a stove top range or griddle for waffles! Plus a small frig and 2 storage cabinets...all next to the TV/entertainment center. Watch out Football season there we are

Yes we lose some storage space but as my wife says "less in more" and I agree.

Don't know about bunk beds all kids grown up!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #63

many of the Thor models have exterior kitchens, not elaborate, but the essentials. Plus, many have the drop down bunk over the cockpit and the outside TV.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhomes are built to sell. The manufacturer will put in anything that the majority of customers want. I was there in the early nineties when Bluebird said "If you want a slideout, it will have to come from someone else. We will never add slides. Their sales went way down and the next thing you know they were announcing the all new slide equipped Bluebird. Manufacturers almost never offer a extra unless it is in high demand.
We had a customer one time who raised hell about not being able to reach the light fixtures. She was a tiny woman, about four feet tall. I thought it was crazy for her to demand that all coaches be built for someone who was in the less than 1/10 of 1 percent of the population.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #65

We went from a 35 ft travel trailer with outdoor kitchen and bunkhouse to 29 ft Class A gasser. We have 2 small children and need sleep space for them, but we don't have a bunkhouse in the Class A. The couch to bed and overhead bunk that electronically comes down in cab area works fine. We liked the outdoor kitchen ok, but we are fine not having it with our class A. We never cook on the stove or in the oven inside the motorhome. We just carry a portable grill and grill on it all the time and carry a fold out table. Easy to set up and fold down and put away.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #66

It's pretty interesting and ironic to me that a "waste of space" theme is always talked about within the context of an outdoor kitchen when many DP Class A manufactures want us consumers to buy rigs with at least 3 tv's, counting the one outside that is rarely used if not at all! We saw a $268K rig at "show price" displaying a 55" tv over a dinette area, 7 feet away was another 48" tv over the fireplace! A 3rd tv was over the windshield, a forth was in the bedroom AND, of course, there's the 32" tv for your viewing pleasure outside!!! Yes, I agree, if you want an outdoor kitchen on a class a, it would have to be custom built. AND like everyone else new to the class a world, my own "customization" will have to consist of a grille, stowed away along with the collapsable table, a bucket of water for a "make-belief sink," a cooler, etc...all of which, guess what, takes up lots of space--go figure! So far, this setup is working ok for us even though it WAS a very nice feature on our previous 5th wheel--the outdoor kitchen was on a slide, the backside of the living room entertainment center. It came with a fridge, 2 burner cooktop, sink, microwave, plenty of storage and lights and gfi outlet! No, there was NOT an outdoor tv! Point is, a class a builder like Nexus, will install an outdoor kitchen if wanted for that pretty penny! They said they could do it where that famous outdoor tv exists! The design idea didn't appeal to us as we understood it! Still, we love our "customized" upgrade to the class a! Best wishes and happy trails to y'all!
TimnJamie
Old 03-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
It would be interesting to see the marketing/demographic data that drives the industry's design choices. Some lament the plethora of TVs and lack of an outdoor kitchen. Others are all about the TVs and electronics. It would be interesting to see how target user age, target unit price point and desired features all line up.

I bet it would be an eye opener for many folks who feel they're somehow "connected" with what people want.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #68

I suspect that most RV manufacturers want to make money. They want profits, because they make RVs to sell, and will put into them what they think people are willing to buy.

I suspect if lots of purchasers complained about no outside Kitchen, they would start making a model or two with them, to capture that purchase.

I suspect that most makers of RVs do consider how much it costs to make a television mount for this spot or that, and also consider how much a second kitchen costs and what people are willing to pay for it...

At the same time, I do not suspect that they are trying to modify behavior here. I do not think they are trying to make people want this or that, as much as expecting they already do like certain things, and are willing to pay for those things.

This presumes the same in the other direction. I suspect that if they purposefully withheld certain items that people want, that those people are likely to buy elsewhere, and that would hurt their market share.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
mtofell - We had the opposite problem. Here in Oregon we have found they all have outside kitchens which we really don't need along with an outside entertainment unit. I wonder if some dealers go one way or another. We did end up with a kitchen and TV but only because we couldn't find any without.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #70

Because your food can get dusty when you cook outdoors?

Tags
class a, door, rvs