Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Good point, Gordon. I went from a 40-footer with a poor turning radius to a 45 footer with a good turning radius. I can put this 45 in places where the 40 would not go.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the reason for the excess is a more demanding buyer. Personally, I think the manufacturers forced the larger coaches down the throat of the public. They could make a 41' - 45' coach on the same chassis, with the same engine, but charge thousands of dollars more for that few extra feet.

In 2005 we were shopping for a quality built 36'-38' with a 400 ISL. They were hard to find. Almost EVERY dealer told me that no one wanted one in that length. I would ask what happen to the new 36' you got in last week......oh.....we sold it right away.

I think many buyers now realize they can get all the amenities they want in a 36' - 40' and can still squeeze into Federal, State and local parks. The government parks have been slow to adjust their campground sizes and may never go big enough to have multiple sites that will fit 43' plus coaches.

If I were to go full time, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 45', but for average use, they can be limiting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think its simply the fact 40 coaches have become really popular. 15 years ago, the average coach had 1 or 2 slides so the extra 5 feet was very important to most buyers. Today a 40 foot coach has 3 or 4 slides, providing as much or more room as the older 43 and 45's leaving many of them on the used RV lots for sale. The square foot difference between a 40 and 45 is about equal to a standard bathroom in the average home. Many of us are willing to sacrifice that area for a coach that is easier to handle on the road and park when we get where we're going.
Just my take on it.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of the manufactures we're starting to get to heavy in the non tag coaches. I remember when we first started looking and we we're looking at a Winnebago 40cd. When I optioned up the coach the way we wanted it and got the weight from Winnebago we we're down to under 2k ccc closer to 1500 lbs if I rember right.

The next year you could no longer get a non tag Winnebago Tour. Since we we're going fulltime that left us with the decision that we really should be looking for a tag coach.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #19

People are selling what was popular a few years back. About half of our small local RV club has changed motorhomes in the last 2 years. The smallest rig that was bought was 38'. All the others were 40'. Most of the people that changed came out of 33'-36' coaches. So in our group the trend has been to go to 40' from smaller and not to downsize. We do have one new member family who just joined the club and they just took delivery of a small Mercedes class B of 22' with no slides. I almost fell over when I found out they paid 129,000 for it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
People are selling what was popular a few years back. About half of our small local RV club has changed motorhomes in the last 2 years. The smallest rig that was bought was 38'. All the others were 40'. Most of the people that changed came out of 33'-36' coaches. So in our group the trend has been to go to 40' from smaller and not to downsize. We do have one new member family who just joined the club and they just took delivery of a small Mercedes class B of 22' with no slides. I almost fell over when I found out they paid 129,000 for it.

The smallest we carry in diesel class A is 40' I think. That $129,000 class B sells like hotcakes, we sell a ton of them.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Good point, Gordon. I went from a 40-footer with a poor turning radius to a 45 footer with a good turning radius. I can put this 45 in places where the 40 would not go.
MRUSA14
I don't doubt that....but common sense dictates that my 35 footer can be "put in" a lot more places that your 45 footer can.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Why So Many Big-un's for Sale?

I would venture that length has a lot to do with how you use your RV as well.

If you are going to be full timing, and staying in one spot for months, and only in resorts, then more length might allow for a better living arrangement.

If you and traveling most of the time, and want to stay at National Parks and not as many resorts, then you may want less length for an good driving and maneuvering experiance.

As I fit the latter category, a 33 to 38 foot length seems to fit my needs better. Regardless, as I park mine on a pad at the side of my house, I know that with my driveway configuration that 38 feet is the maximum that I can fit in to this parking space...

Ted & Kathleen
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
MRUSA14
I don't doubt that....but common sense dictates that my 35 footer can be "put in" a lot more places that your 45 footer can.
Mel
'96 Safari
Well, you know where you can put it then.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #24

Always wondered why Newmar don't make a 36 foot King Aire??
Old 12-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"HHIDan".....I agree with you......maybe not 36', but at least 38' - 40'. There most popular coach is a 40' Dutch Star. I bought it because it was the length I wanted with the most amenities.

They've made the shorter coaches so heavy now, that they're having weight issues. I think a amenity heavy Mountain Air, London Air or even King Air in 38', 40' and 42' with an ISX motor would be popular choices. I know I would buy a 40' Mountain Air with a 500 ISX in a minute!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

It is conversations like those preceding this one that makes me even more content with my little 'ol 36' Discovery with the 24v, 5.9 Cummins engine. She is not all bright and shiny, lacks modern graphics and a lot of bling. All I can think of right now that doesn't work is the basement lights and one 12vdc outlet on the dash, neither have bothered me enough to fix them. And best of all, ~10 mpg and no payments!
Yes, I do admire the bigger, late model coaches and sometime feel out of place with my 'ol coach, but she is easy on fuel and repairs, and for what a newer, bright and shiny one would cost I could paint and update mine several times over.
IMHO it all boils down to what makes you happy. For some only the latest and greatest will do. Others look at owning a depreciating asset that gives them joy while others don't feel comfortable unless they are making payments every month. Only you can choose the path you take.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think its simply the fact 40' coaches have become really popular ... Today a 40 foot coach has 3 or 4 slides, providing as much or more room as the older 43 and 45's ... The square foot difference between a 40 and 45 is about equal to a standard bathroom ... Many of us are willing to sacrifice that area for a coach that is easier to handle on the road and park when we get where we're going.
X2.

Quote:
I think many buyers now realize they can get all the amenities they want in a 36' - 40' and can still squeeze into Federal, State and local parks. The government parks have been slow to adjust their campground sizes and may never go big enough to have multiple sites that will fit 43' plus coaches.
X2.

We looked at larger coaches and decided that it was either an extra bathroom <OR> a MH that would be easier to squeeze into [established] government parks. For better or for worse, we ended up in a 40' coach. We have not missed the extra bathroom, and really love camping in all of the great state parks.

My hunch is that today's shoppers are doing similar A vs. B comparisons and opting for the 40 footers. I imagine [many] existing owners of 40 footers are making similar comparisons and staying where they are...

JM2C,

/ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
It is conversations like those preceding this one that makes me even more content with my little 'ol 36' Discovery with the 24v, 5.9 Cummins engine. She is not all bright and shiny, lacks modern graphics and a lot of bling. All I can think of right now that doesn't work is the basement lights and one 12vdc outlet on the dash, neither have bothered me enough to fix them. And best of all, ~10 mpg and no payments!
Yes, I do admire the bigger, late model coaches and sometime feel out of place with my 'ol coach, but she is easy on fuel and repairs, and for what a newer, bright and shiny one would cost I could paint and update mine several times over.
IMHO it all boils down to what makes you happy. For some only the latest and greatest will do. Others look at owning a depreciating asset that gives them joy while others don't feel comfortable unless they are making payments every month. Only you can choose the path you take.
Agree with you. We looked at several newer coaches and cannot seem to pull the trigger. Our 1990 DP, 32 foot coach runs like top. No slides, but 102 inches wide and no payments. We have made multiple updates and we get close to 10 MPG pulling our toad, Mazda 3. It is a matter of desire. I personally would stay at 36 foot or below, DP.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale