Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That one is easy.. Remember the Cholestrol..er. Fat.. Er.. Burger King.
"The Bigger the Burger the Better the Burger the Burgers are Bigger...."

Well.. "The Bigger the Motor home The better the motor home the motor homes are bigger at our dealership"

Yes, I know not as melodic but the idea is the same.

And both are equally true (Which is to say not very true).

But: This is true; The bigger the Motor home the Bigger the price tag the commissions are bigger when the coach is as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I believe the "Bells & Whistles" along with the "Go Big or Go Home" sales pitch, turned into OMG.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMO, like most things, there are many things in play. There does seem to be a large number of baby boomers trading up from big to big or bigger.

We had a 36' DP and it was great for travel and maneuvering. We rarely found a place we could not fit. I wanted a bit longer, tag axle coach for our retirement travels so we looked for the shortest tag axle well made used coach we could find. We did see a lot of 45' used coaches. The one I really wanted to work was a 2005 Essex 41' with tag and 500hp ISM. However, the coach just had not been cared for like we wanted. We ended up with the Allure 42' and really love it. As noted, with the tag raised, it turns as tight as the 36' Journey we had. We expect this to be our last coach but I could see us downsizing if we are blessed with the ability to continue the RV lifestyle into our later years.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #32

Interesting thread, with good perspectives that can be seen coming from different view points - which is what RV'ing is all about. What is important to one owner, may not be so to another!

OP - why so many coaches for sale at that size now? The pure volume of larger rigs in general. As mentioned by some, this is mostly a combo of the manufactures looking for higher profits, and a high volume of buyers interested in these larger and higher content coaches. IMO, their are now probably a 2 thirds to 1 third mix of RV'ers. With 2 thirds going from RV Park/Resort to RV Park Resort, and 1 third doing a mix with more of a slant to National/State parks - and or boon docking. (Please understand, it just my opinion and I have no proof to back this up. And I admit that our travels have been more in the Western States, which as I understand it, have larger parks in general then many of the Easter side of the Mississippi, with the exception of Florida, which has many good size parks and resorts.)

But, as we look at the future ahead, I suspect we will see a shift back to the 30-36' range of higher end coaches. Both gassers and DP's. So in 10 years, you could easily see the volume this size rigs being higher. Why. More demand for the smaller units. More demand for higher efficiency by buyers. And I suspect we'll see more governmental influence to spin the direction to smaller units. I also would not be surpassed to see penalty/tax on larger less fuel efficient units by both States (CA) and the Feds. These combined forces, will most likely force this shift. I talked to Chief Ranger at a National Park (to not cause him problems, I won't share the park), and he asked how could the park system improve the experience for RV'ers? When I said with the higher volume of larger rigs, that parks should expand and relay out existing parks, to accommodate: 1) Easier access; 2) Wider spaces to accommodate slides; 3) Longer spaces for the larger rigs; 4) More full services of 50A, Water & Sewer. Well his response was that at some conferences he'd attended, the direction was to actually restrict access to larger rigs, not expand it. I countered with take Madison park in Yellowstone. In stead of multiple RV'ers running their generators, the NP's could install one high efficiency natural gas driven generator, to power the sites. It could be made to quieter, and would have less environmental impact overall on burning of fuel, and noise. He admitted that he had never heard that mentioned in any of his conferences.

I also suggested that the NP's also make more boon docking only spaces available, as their is for sure a good mix of campers that would like this too. To do this, ease of access out to these boon docking sites would be beneficial.

I suppose on a thread sometime in 2025 - we'll see what way the industry moves, and how the NP and State parks respond!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #33

We hunted for months for our 36 footer hard to find and put a deposit on it site unseen, Plenty of room for us with one slide. Lots of power and it turns sharper than any we had in the past. Very good quality and fits in a 40 foot garage. If something happened would look for another just like it. We do travel a lot, like the state/ federal parks so makes it an easy decision.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #34

Let's not forget that there are now gas coaches that approach that 40' range that are much more competitively priced than a DP. We have a gas Winnebago 37f that has a great floor plan that allows me to get into sites that even a 40'er would have trouble shoehorning into. Earlier this week I talked to a very proud owner of a 36' gas Tiffin. He pointed out that for an extra $100k he could have had the same floor plan, but with tile, on a DP.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #35

Biosensal - Gas coaches are great when you are parked. When you are driving a coach with the motor 40' back of you and riding on air springs is much much more pleasant. I love driving our coach. The last front motored class A gas coach I drove was not fun at all. It was very susceptible to truck wash and side winds. The motor screamed when going up long grades. And it rode very rough. I did own a gas coach that had none of these problems that I really loved driving. A 1975 GMC 26'. It drove like a big Cadillac. Was fast and handled well. It had a very smooth ride comparable to our 42' DP. And the motor was well sealed for noise. Unfortunately GM did not keep making and improving them. The GMC had all kinds of 1970's GM fragility issues, but nice ride and good driving with low noise were not issues. There were also a few read motored gas coaches built around 2002-2005 called the UFO chassis. There likely were much quieter and rode well compared to the usual front motored gas rigs.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #36

Carolina Campers
Why So Many Big-un's for Sale?

Where is that picture of the can of worms when you need it..... Lol

Ted
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Biosensal - Gas coaches are great when you are parked. When you are driving a coach with the motor 40' back of you and riding on air springs is much much more pleasant. I love driving our coach. The last front motored class A gas coach I drove was not fun at all. It was very susceptible to truck wash and side winds. The motor screamed when going up long grades. And it rode very rough. I did own a gas coach that had none of these problems that I really loved driving. A 1975 GMC 26'. It drove like a big Cadillac. Was fast and handled well. It had a very smooth ride comparable to our 42' DP. And the motor was well sealed for noise. Unfortunately GM did not keep making and improving them. The GMC had all kinds of 1970's GM fragility issues, but nice ride and good driving with low noise were not issues. There were also a few read motored gas coaches built around 2002-2005 called the UFO chassis. There likely were much quieter and rode well compared to the usual front motored gas rigs.
When I shared with my wife what I had written, she was totally surprised. After being blown all over the road, in admittedly very strong winds, on our first cross-country trip with this coach I was ready to quit RV'ing. After almost $8k in suspension upgrades, it is better, but not nearly what our previous 2 gas coaches were. Twice we almost pulled the trigger on new tag-axle Newmars. At this point my plan is to pick up a gently used 2014-2015 Newmar 43'er for all the reasons we both mentioned.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #38

Biosensal - Sorry for your problems. I spent quite a lot on my previous GMC to replace worn front suspension parts. Thousands. After doing that it drove very well. When I look back though on all the coaches I have driven I would say that handling well just is or isn't on that particular rig. If you drive something and it drives well then you have a good driving rig. This is especially true on lighter rigs. Some coaches have good balance and driving and some do not. I guess what I am saying is, don't necessarily pick just a brand and size of coach and assume it will be good. The proof is in the driving that particular one.

My system for getting a good driving class A back six years ago was to buy a CD from this outfit in WA State called the RV Consumer Group. They were the only people I could find that rated hundreds of different years and models of RVs. They had a "handling" rating. I mostly only test drove coaches that had 90% or above handling. The particular coach I bought had 100% rating on handling. I carefully looked through this CD for over a year shopping. One of the things I found was that even within brands and models things like chassis length, CCC carry capacity, and motor size varied a lot on some brands. For example you talk about Newmar, which I think is a good maker. Three of my friends bought Dutch Stars within a short time of each other. Two bought 40' and one bought a 38'. The two 40' loved the handling of their coaches and the guy that bought the 38' did not. He had Newmar come out and do all kinds of stuff to try and get handling better. When I looked up their rigs on the RVCG data I found that the 38' came with a much shorter chassis compared to the 40' models and it's handling rating was much lower. To me that was some proof of the long chassis argument and the RVCG ratings.

Good luck on looking for a new rig. Be sure you test drive the coach long enough to see if you like driving it. That is what sold me on our rig. It seemed like it was on rails going down the freeway.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
... optioned up the coach the way we wanted it and ....we were down to under 2k ccc closer to 1500 lbs ....
Traps90's comments hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. The 32'-36' units we looked at were simply too cramped for our liking.

We looked and liked lots of units in the 38'-40'. However, once you started crunching the numbers - CCC in the 1,500 - 2,000 lbs range were simply way too restrictive.

The improved ride and stability combined with a CCC of 6,773 lbs made the jump to our HR Endeavor 43 DFT an easy one to make. The ability to haul an extra 2 TONS of my stuff if I see fit easily justified dealing with the extra 3-4 feet of coach.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale