Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Bob, I have seen this comment about preferring table/chairs to dinette come up a few times in this forum. I'm curious why that would be? It would seem that dinettes would be more comfortable.
Can push back my chair when I'm done -- can't push back a dinette bench. Plus, if I gain any more weight, I might not fit ...

I echo many of the previous comments, and especially stress that you need to walk through a coach with slides in as well as out, to see what you can get to or not. We like a bath-and-a-half layout, even though there's only two of us. A big shower to turn around in, and a king bed (for us and the dogs) with nightstands on both sides, and room to get around. We like a full-wall slide, so there's not such a bottleneck at mid-coach. Pantry space in the kitchen. Stacked washer and dryer, with plenty of wardrobe space left over. The list goes on ...

Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
My wife is adamant about the Kitchen on the drivers side. This way the dining table overlooks the patio.... and not the sewer!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Bob, I have seen this comment about preferring table/chairs to dinette come up a few times in this forum. I'm curious why that would be? It would seem that dinettes would be more comfortable.
We had a booth in our first motorhome, and table and chairs in this. We have a leaf for the table, so if it just the two of us, we have a smaller table with just two chairs. If we have guest(s), we add the leaf and get the extra chair(s) out of the basement. However, we miss the storage under the seat in the dinette. Converting the dinette to a bed is no longer an issue, since the grandkids are too old to travel with us. Having said that, we have seen both in the coaches we're considering for replacement, and we can do with either one--no strong feeling either way. However, some folks feel strongly about one or the other. It's all about what works best for you.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
FWIW. 90% of the time there is just two of us and the table & 2 chairs take up less room. Then when we have company, the table is extended out and we have more room than a dinette/booth for more comfort. It's a win, win either way.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Can push back my chair when I'm done -- can't push back a dinette bench. Plus, if I gain any more weight, I might not fit ...

I echo many of the previous comments, and especially stress that you need to walk through a coach with slides in as well as out, to see what you can get to or not. We like a bath-and-a-half layout, even though there's only two of us. A big shower to turn around in, and a king bed (for us and the dogs) with nightstands on both sides, and room to get around. We like a full-wall slide, so there's not such a bottleneck at mid-coach. Pantry space in the kitchen. Stacked washer and dryer, with plenty of wardrobe space left over. The list goes on ...
x2^^^ and emphasis added! After narrowing our choice to a particular coach we spent most of the day at the dealership inspecting it and "visualizing" how we would use the space; if there was enough kitchen, comfortable seating etc. We were ready to sign the check and only one thing remained... a test drive. The salesman retracted the slide behind the driver and I couldn't sit in the driver's chair! (6'4", 220#'s) Instant deal breaker of course but it did further my MH education and what to look for.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Personally I would not want the stove next to the couch, and would need to have access to the rest of the MH with the slides in.

Yep, me too. I didn't want any seating by the stove. Didn't want a couch at all. I only looked at a few and had opinions really quick.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #21

For us, there were a few things we were looking for:

* light colored interior
* lots of light up front
* able to watch the TV without having to twist one's neck 90 degrees
* space for our two Cairn Terriers to run around
* a "throne room" or bathroom with a door
* had to work with the slides in (because we are often in situations where we can't
deploy the slides)

With our layout, the living only has a couple of "squeeze points" with the slide in -- and they aren't all that tight. It's right up at the front where the "J" of the J lounge is, and the other is in the recliner if you have it reclined, it is a little tight for someone to walk by you. In back, the slide in doesn't require anyone to climb over anyone else to get into bed (as some laterally-mounted beds do).

As far as dinette versus table, for us, with just two chairs and the table turned o the long axis runs fore-aft in the coach, we end up with a ton of floor space. And we have even pulled the table over by the J lounge, and had six people around it for Thanksgiving without it being all that bad!

I've attached a picture from when we first got the coach as an illustration of what I mean... I don't have a good pic of the front with the slide in (should take one some day)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summit5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	70619  
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

This is a very interesting topic.
I used to think the same. Initially my main concern was appearance. So many used motorhome's look like a 70's nightmare!

But I rented a 28' class c that had the rear bed in the corner and discovered after one night I never wanted to have that. You had to crawl into bed and were sandwiched between two walls. We then purchased our first motorhome which seemed to fit the bill and was great to us for 3 years. However, I soon discovered I also did not care for the overcab bunk. I'm 6'4" and the sofa nor the table area was big enough, so the bunk was it. UGH...hot, tight, and getting up and down was a nuisance.
Another selling point of the a we bought was that the tv was in the cabinet opposite the sofa and table. And it can be viewed even with slides in. I've seen some tv's that are partially blocked if the slides are in. Our previous c had the tv above the table. The kids were always complaining about having to sit at the table because they had to twist the necks too far to watch Spongebob.
I also discovered I did not care for the table being across from the sofa= everyone is in one tight area. I knew my next motorhome would have them side by side.
And lastly, my wife wanted the shower to be separate from the mirror/sink/bathroom. Something about humidity, blow drying hair, make up....
So, that was added to the list too.

So I soon realized the floor plan and how much time one wishes to spend inside their motorhome (comfortably) is very vital to how much one will enjoy their motorhome.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #23

Totally agree with the "floorplan first" comments. For us, table/chairs over dinettes (just two of us, me 6', DW 5'3" and chairs just work better.) Next time I'm going to look for a patio-side eating area... current one has the dinette right over the usual area where the hookups live.

Sometimes its the little things too... our prior RV had end-table/cabinets on each side of the bed for books etc. Older style square edges, not the newer rounded European types. Was perfectly positioned to nail me in the kidney every time I got out of bed.

Our current one has a pair of very nice kitchen cabinets with the doors opening into the slideout travel path. Take a bumpy road (or forget to close tightly) and when putting the slide out you hear this crunch...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1 high school kid, 2 college and one gone so more often then not it is two of us and often another couple. Bath and a half is a must. Current coach has a booth with a table that extends so we can use chairs. At this stage I would still really prefer the booth for extra storage, bedding and size. The small table and dealing with tying down chairs for travel just does not seem worth it to me. I like opposing couches, more seating better for conversing/cocktails and we can each lay out if we want, plus the extra bedding is always helpful. I absolutely do not like the two recliner look. The more kitchen the better. Hate the oven, much prefer storage, right now the oven is nothing more then a storage box for the toaster oven. Never buying another coach without an all electric residential style fridge. Would love a ceiling fan over the bed. Every camper has dirty laundry, why not have a built in hamper in every coach. I mean jeez, 40 plus feet and no room for a 2x2 hamper?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #25

I think many first time RV buyers don't pay that much attention to floorplans because they don't there are differences or what the differences are. I've seen many first time buyers at RV shows who were more concerned with how the RV looked inside, (colors and materials) than the functionality. Those who've owned RV's no more what they want and what works for them.
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #26

I want windows on both sides...when traveling with the grandkids, if I say look at the train, I want them to be able to look out the side windows. The passengers should be able to see our great country as we travel down the road. As for the dinette, we like the bench, not the table and chairs. Floor plan is indeed important to us.
JMHO
Old 08-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our last coach had a walk through bath between th living area and bedroom. At first we thought it was great because it gave us a huge dressing area. After owning it a while we realized it just used up too much floor space for the little time we used it each day. This made the floor plan very important when we bought our present coach. Now when looking at new class A's, floor plan and storage is the number 1 consideration.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #28

Now this is funny--actually made me go register and stop lurking! We are looking at giving up our sailboat (or not) and purchasing a MH, and absolutely one of the most important things is the floor plan!!! Might be because we knew after my husband growing through sailboats for almost 40 years you really need a livable area to make small quarters, well, livable! When we look at actually spending a lot of time in a limited amount of space suddenly having a L shaped couch towards the front and being able to turn the captains chairs around and having a conversation area around the TV (and yes I'm a silly woman in FL so desiring a fireplace I am insisting upon it) that it is now one of the only floor plans we will look at--along with having a 1/2 bath. It is the same as wanting open floor plans in homes, or split plans. We all want what we want. My husband insists on at least 450HP, would really like more. But as well, if we only wanted to do weekends that would be much easier. Wouldn't care so much if we had the TV in the middle next to the dinette and our couch was forward -- and can we really see that? Or our guests? Doesn't matter so much then!

To each their own- love seeing everyone's different purchases and why.

Nice to meet you all!

Monica