Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #15

I don't recall ever passing a moving rv , but I have been passed by hundreds. There was a horrific crash in Draper, Utah in 2003. Nearly an entire family killed when the mh left the road just before an overpass and slammed nose first into the pavement below the bridge. I remember the stories at the time, it was a rental, the driver was in the left fast lane, it was windy with ice on the roadway. I think witnesses said he was doing between 60-70 mph when he veered onto the median. You can see after nose diving to the pavement below the overpass it still had enough momentum to slide up to the top of the opposite embankment. Awfully sad story.

http://http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=87178

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe because Maverick and Goose said so?

Maverick: I feel the need…
Maverick, Goose: …the need for speed!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
As long as it does not affect me, "go fer it"

Yes, what it.... 1000 times over.... but I don't spend my few precious moments trying to legislate others...
Ditto...
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I travel at about 55-60 and that is where I feel safe. I seldom if ever get out of the right hand lane except to pass those going slower than I.

I'm retired, I've got all the time I need to get where I am going and I plan 300 mile days. Other people may not have that luxury so I just watch their speed in awe and if it's really necessary I give them ample room to do their thing.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Yes, what it.... 1000 times over.... but I don't spend my few precious moments trying to legislate others...
When he tops a hill and finds the traffic stopped and he can't stop and plows into a school bus. Then you will be affected. The calls for driving classes and and special licensing for motorhome drivers will begin. The news media will start in about the old people being unsafe and having slow reflexes. I am 75 years old. I remember back in the seventies when there were calls for Motorhome special licensing. The industry only won out when they asked legislators to show stats. that proved motorhome drivers were having more accidents than normal. They found that motorhome drivers were older and more careful than most car drivers.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I spent part of my work life managing a road network of about 2000 miles. One of the less desirable tasks was to investigate all fatal accidents in my area to determine whether the roadway contributed to the accident in any way. We looked at grades, cross section, signing, sight distance, etc.

I was given a copy of the police report. It did not affect our investigation as we looked for compliance to the current road building standards and specifications. In most cases the reports listed excessive speed. Not exceeding the speed limit but driving faster than conditions warranted.

The sad part was I would occasionally find small toys the cleanup had missed.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #21

Why..............because he could. Plain and simple.
MH has the engine to run at 75 mph towing a full size vehicle and make it seem like it's no different then driving his regular vehicle.

Ever heard the saying from folks towing "Didn't even know it was there"
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #22

In general, I have not found that speed is the most relevant thing when it comes to being a safe driver.

Knock on wood; No accidents or tickets in car/truck, motorcycle or bicycle.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Maybe he wanted to get home before he ran out of fuel...

or, maybe all MH drivers do not use good judgement.
I have been passed by far more 5th wheels than MH's in our travels. Usually it's a lifted toy hauler, and 4 wheel drive P/U with big tires and lifted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #24

His ego told him that if he drove fast and passed everyone it would give more people a chance to admire his beautiful rig.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
65 is my sweet spot at 1700 RPM. So, I travel with the truckers pulling the boat or the Jeep. Sometimes they pass me and vise versa. Once in a while a MH passes and I figure he's in his sweet spot. But most of the time it's 5th wheels and travel trailers flying past me and everyone else. Seems guys driving their diesel pick-ups need to show off their power. I might to since they probably paid way more for their pick-up than I did for our MH. On long hauls in Washington, though, usually you'll see them again along the side of the road with those blue and red lights behind them.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #26

Some people are just slow learners and it takes a few moments of panic, or in the worst case a hopefully minor accident, for them to understand the folly of their actions. I usually run 70 on the interstates, but that is adjusted significantly in adverse weather/traffic conditions. I hope he made it to where he was going in one piece without hurting anyone else.

Steve
Old 11-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #27

62 MPH max. See no need for any faster.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #28

Quote:

Not trying to legislate, but it does affect me as another driver on the road trying to get home safely! Most of the vehicles were trying to get out of his (or her) way as he/she was flying down the left lane.

Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote