Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
My favorite quote:

"Stupid is as stupid does". F. Gump

g
My favorite quote comes from DH: "The stupid will be punished."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Maybe he wanted to get home before he ran out of fuel...

or, maybe all MH drivers do not use good judgement.
I went back and read some earlier posts and I re-read the post that I made.
I should have said "not all" MH drivers use good judgement.

I did not mean that all MH drivers use bad judgement.

Good judgement is clearly indicated by the majority of the posts to this thread.
There are always exceptions.

I used to be young and stupid, but I'm not young anymore...

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone has their own opinion of what a safe speed is dependent upon the conditions. Under the conditions mentioned in the op, some may think 60mph was too fast, others even 50mph was too fast. I've certainly been passed by some that I thought were crazy to be going as fast as they were, but I never came upon them down the road involved in an accident so I guess the speed they were going actually was safe. The state of Wisconsin is in the process of raising the interstate speed limit to 70mph except in busy urban areas. Some residents are upset and think that's too fast. I think many accidents are caused by too low speed limits that cause boredom and lack of attention. When in our mh I set the cruse control at 60 for economic reasons- I get the best mileage at that speed, not because I think it's unsafe to go faster. Everyone probably thinks they are using their best judgement and everyone else is wrong and going either too fast or too slow!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #32

I was running the Southern Tier expressway one day last fall, speed is 65 there. I was blown off by two high end homes running together, each with a load of either Jeep or Harley. Wet and windy conditions, wondered the same thing as you.

I was in my Jeep, not the motor home.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
You have old pilots
You have bold pilots
You don't have old, bold pilots
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #34

Maybe he's doing 75 because he's not 75. Just because a speed is too fast for you doesn't mean its too fast for everyone. The rain that blinded you in a car might not affect the motorhome driver that sits higher and sees over the spray. He's also got ABS on that modern coach and can stop just fine because his reaction times haven't dulled yet. 75 is a perfectly normal speed in many parts of the country, and vehicles don't magically become unsafe just by crossing state lines.

Stop judging unless you wish to be judged.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #35

Most men's problems are their pride and EGOS! They go make a lot of money and lose respect for fellow man. Sad.

"life happens, enjoy it".. 🇺🇸
2008 HR Ambassador DP 360 38'
Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #36

I agree with the OP. Whether it's judging or not, to me, the risk/reward factor is too heavy on the risk side for my blood.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWanderer View Post
I agree with the OP. Whether it's judging or not, to me, the risk/reward factor is too heavy on the risk side for my blood.

X2 on that!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #38

Maybe there was a family emergency.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #39

Why the need for speed?

You won't see me running 55 or 60 on the interstate. The speed limit is where Im at. I feel safer there. Lots less vehicles passing me. No excuse for him running 10 over the speed limit.

Russell
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Maybe he's doing 75 because he's not 75. Just because a speed is too fast for you doesn't mean its too fast for everyone. The rain that blinded you in a car might not affect the motorhome driver that sits higher and sees over the spray. He's also got ABS on that modern coach and can stop just fine because his reaction times haven't dulled yet. 75 is a perfectly normal speed in many parts of the country, and vehicles don't magically become unsafe just by crossing state lines.
Stop judging unless you wish to be judged.
I agree, I see a lot of posts on here that think we are endangering ourselves to run 75 mph. If you are uncomfortable with that I see no problem, just like you should see no problem with me running the posted limit. Greyhound buses and over the road semis run the speed limit all the time. Use common sense and adjust your speed accordingly for weather conditions. None of us are perfect, and life happens, whether you drive 60 or 75. Randy
Old 11-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I am not the fastest motorhome on the interstate and by far not the slowest but somewhere in between. I will usually try and drive the speed limit as this way I'm not overtaking too much traffic or causing a delay for others. On the flat I will usually try and blend in with the truckers. On the hills I'll gauge my position so that I can overtake slower trucks on the steeper grades.

I do however notice that there are motorhomes being driven at very slow speeds (still legal) but definitely causing others to bob and weave around them. Excessive speed is probably as bad as very slow drivers.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #42

And i get stuck behind a motorhome doing 53 in a 70 zone with not enough lane length for me to pass and others are taking chances passing the slow guy. I kinda like the guy going 75. Whats more dangerous ? We all have our opinions.