Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #57

Invariably when I'm going South on I 95 and there is a traffic "bottleneck" I find that it's an RV going 8 to 10 mph under the speed limit and everyone is trying to get around him or her.
If you're going to drive that slow get off the interstate and on to the "blue highways" for the safety of all of us.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #58

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
And therein lies the reason that I avoid California.
I will in the future after paying the fine earlier this year. New to us MH, quiet and a very strong engine, going down a hill with a long runout at the bottom. 67 in a 65 zone but I had the Ody on so 12 over!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A couple of observations.

First: The low flying RV in the original post COULD have stopped in an emergency.. Of course it might have been one of the more Impressive stops with pieces flying in a thousand directions and people going to hospital by lifeflight, but he'd have stopped. They always do stop.

Second: I would like to say "I don't know about you" but in this sense I do. You and I and the guy with the pilot's license are all going to the same place.. Our Funerals.

Now me.. I'm not in any great hurry to get there.
Kind of like flying, takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is going over the speed limit an age related thing? I'm 64 and work in a service related industry. However I will admit... when I'm driving especially work related...I do not let any grass grow under my feet!!!! However driving a 35ft MH and a gasser on top of that..towing a car behind it!!....and with in my opinion at least on the F53 chassis...CRAPPY brakes..I tend to keep it at 60-63 on a 65 limit highway. Now with that being said I am NOT adverse to going around someone doing under the limit and...my having to do 75mph for a short burst to do it!!!! Now it that short distance if I pass someone,say the OP for ex. does that make me someone who is "flying" down the highway? It could look that way..but I assure you doing that kind of speed for any long distance in that type of vehicle is neither healthy- wealthy or wise! Jus my $.02
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #61

I travel appropriate for conditions, or situations as needed and interpreted by me. If I am out of line my DW is quick to bring my confusion to my attention.

With that said here in the SE I will usually lock in the cruise right 70 and it will swing between 68 and 72. This will keep me in what I call a "neutral traffic position" Im not being passed much, nor passing much.

However, I am not one to drag my ass if I need to pass and will drop the hammer when needed as I do not like to hold traffic up. A couple of weeks ago heading east on I-10 I know I past a few coaches during my travels, if I startled you I apologize. Average speed that trip 66, max speed 86.
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
OK so rain is a factor but my question is why was he going over the speed limit for any reason? One more reason we try to stay off the interstate. While we do of course encounter unsafe drivers everywhere, we find less on secondary
I try my darndest to stay at 60 on the interstate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
I travel at about 55-60 and that is where I feel safe. I seldom if ever get out of the right hand lane except to pass those going slower than I.

I'm retired, I've got all the time I need to get where I am going and I plan 300 mile days. Other people may not have that luxury so I just watch their speed in awe and if it's really necessary I give them ample room to do their thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
62 MPH max. See no need for any faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
And i get stuck behind a motorhome doing 53 in a 70 zone with not enough lane length for me to pass and others are taking chances passing the slow guy. I kinda like the guy going 75. Whats more dangerous ? We all have our opinions.

I agree, some of you guys that have all day to get there because you are retired, what about those that want to go the speed limit or a little over, you are in the way. Not all of us are retired and have all day to get there.

I do the speed limit or more.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I agree, some of you guys that have all day to get there because you are retired, what about those that want to go the speed limit or a little over, you are in the way. Not all of us are retired and have all day to get there.

I do the speed limit or more.
I stay out of the way by traveling in the slow lane. When there are truck lanes on big hills I pretend I'm a truck and stay right in those slow lanes also. On two lane road I use any provided pullouts to let people pass and when there are no convenient pullouts I use wide spots that allow me to get out of your way.

Sorry but I will not make you comfortable and happy by making myself uncomfortable and unhappy traveling at a speed I am not comfortable doing. You do have to remember that the posted speed limit is the allowable maximum one can legally drive and in no way is it mandatory for me to go the posted maximum.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #64

Interesting thread. Clearly, the common theme here is that just about everyone vehemently justifies why their speed is the appropriate speed for a motorhome. I suppose that's natural.

I could wax on about a lesson I learned early in life when T-boning a car at less than 25mph in my 62' Chevy Apache truck while bracing myself for the crash, and why I wished I would have at least had my lap belt fastened! Or, how I had to lock up the wheels of a 16 ton motorhome to keep from hitting two bighorn sheep that jumped in front of us. Talk about a long stopping distance and some serious shifting of our payload

Well, so much for the waxing To each their own. I've driven slow and I've driven fast and I know what I'm comfortable with and that's the only thing I have direct control over.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Cletus View Post
I stay out of the way by traveling in the slow lane. When there are truck lanes on big hills I pretend I'm a truck and stay right in those slow lanes also. On two lane road I use any provided pullouts to let people pass and when there are no convenient pullouts I use wide spots that allow me to get out of your way.

Sorry but I will not make you comfortable and happy by making myself uncomfortable and unhappy traveling at a speed I am not comfortable doing. You do have to remember that the posted speed limit is the allowable maximum one can legally drive and in no way is it mandatory for me to go the posted maximum.
I am just saying that not only are fast drivers possibley asking for trouble, the ones going much slower than traffic are just as much of a problem, imho.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I am just saying that not only are fast drivers possibley asking for trouble, the ones going much slower than traffic are just as much of a problem, imho.
You're right! Going slow does create a hazard for others trying to get around you. I set the cruse control at 60mph because that's where I get the best mileage. And that works ok on the highway out between cities. But I've noticed that as I get closer to or actually within the city limits the traffic gets thicker and also moves faster. I do speed up then to keep up with the traffic and not force a bunch of people behind me to have to try to get around me. After I get out of the city limits and the traffic thins out a little and people have ample room to get around me I'll slow down to cruse at 60 again. I cannot understand why people that don't want to go with the flow of traffic and insist on going slower than the long line of vehicles behind them "because that's their right!" can't at least pull over to the side of the road to let the congestion get by. That's when you see people trying to pass 6 or more vehicles at a time trying to get past the slow poke up front, and that's where accidents happen.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #67

My brother is 71. And still drives like a teenaged boy. I cringe when I'm riding with him. I will not let him drive any of my vehicles. I've repeatedly told him that if/when he kills someone because of his aggressive driving I'll never visit him in prison.

It's something some would like to call innate, but I'm not so sure.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Maybe he's doing 75 because he's not 75. Just because a speed is too fast for you doesn't mean its too fast for everyone. The rain that blinded you in a car might not affect the motorhome driver that sits higher and sees over the spray. He's also got ABS on that modern coach and can stop just fine because his reaction times haven't dulled yet. 75 is a perfectly normal speed in many parts of the country, and vehicles don't magically become unsafe just by crossing state lines.

Stop judging unless you wish to be judged.

Judging? Running 10 mph over the speed limit in heavy traffic in the rain affects everyone. Old or young stuff happens and in no way was what is described safe. Now if he chooses to take risks with his life I have no problem. Unfortunately his decision will affect everyone when he looses control.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
...Do you drive your MH 700 miles a year or 7000?

I run about 20,000 per year...and enjoy every mile.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I travel the speed limit, so out west 75 in a 75. 65 in a 65. Once in heavy traffic I tend to drop down 5 miles to allow room for breaking. But I don't drive 90 when in Texas...

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote