Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Challenger, thanks for the chuckle

MRT,
As with all studies, it's rarely pure science seems like 'someone' is always wanting to slant it one way or the other to prove their point (or increase their grant money !)

having worked in statistical analysis for about 10 years way back when, I proved that many times 'facts' can be easily misrepresented...

While I agree that those three are regular contributors, speeding is the least of them UNLESS the others contribute

What about the race car drivers doing 200 mph? Shouldn't they crash MUCH more ? I'll bet they don't even given that they are going at the limits of adhesion, the limits of their equipment, and the limits of technology... So, what's different about them than us ? Attentiveness... if you are paying attention and aware, you will be safer than if not...

Again, put everyone on motorcycles for the first 90 days of driving and they WILL pay attention! (at least those that survive will )

It's all what you are used to and comfortable at, once you prove yourself and your equipment, you may surprise yourself...
after all, for a LONG time, they thought the earth was flat and the four minute mile was impossible !
I like your post. Made me think outside the highway where we all get to drive.

Hmmm - I wonder what they do at the raceway with the slow drivers? Well just as an observation I think most of the drivers are aware that some of them are going slower than the faster ones. Statistically half of the drivers will be going less than the average speed.

By convention the slower drivers move to the left or right as dictated by convention and the faster drivers go around them when safe. It is part of the game they play. All understand and follow the rules, most of the time. When they do not follow the rules they have great accidents involving many cars with parts flying all over the place.

Seems like there is a parallel with life on real roads. Some drive faster, some slower. Slower drivers stay to the right. Faster drivers are/should be aware there are slower drivers on the same roadway and take appropriate action.

From the tone of the thread it appears the faster drivers are self indulgent and seem to expect slower drivers to "get out of their way". And if there is an accident it is the slower drivers fault.

IMO that is not the way the rules were developed or the way the rules work. Statistically you can prove almost anything. Just takes some creative accounting.

IMO if you want to drive at or above the speed limit you are the one responsible to keep out of the way. It is your responsibility to approach safely and pass safely. Actually a number of folks have used increased alertness when driving fast as a rationale for speed. Well it is time to step up to the plate and use that increased awareness to drive safely no matter what the conditions are.

Impatience is the biggest risk while driving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
What about the race car drivers doing 200 mph? Shouldn't they crash MUCH more ? I'll bet they don't even given that they are going at the limits of adhesion, the limits of their equipment, and the limits of technology... So, what's different about them than us ? Attentiveness... if you are paying attention and aware, you will be safer than if not...
NASCAR race car drivers change special compound race tires every 60 miles. The drivers have been developing skills to drive at 200 MPH for years. The drivers have safety equipment installed that the typical Motor Coach driver does not have. The cars are configured with down force equipment and wind tunnel tested to achieve high speeds on banked racing circuits.

Skill, attentiveness, specialized equipment, specialized race tracks, etc.

Not the equipment or skills the average Motor Coach driver possesses or even the 1% of drivers.

JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did they even have cars 51 years ago? Maybe they used horses
I promise not to drive on a NASCAR track.
I never been stopped or ticketed for driving 62-65 on the interstate.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I'll put my two cents in. I really think that most people that drive motorhomes and 5th wheels still think they are driving a car.
  • They drive fast just like they do in a car.
  • They think they can stop as fast as a car.
  • They think they can drive in any lane just like a car.
The problem is they are not driving a 3,000 to 5,000 pound car your driving a 26,000 to 60,000 pound RV. Anyone, and yes I meed anyone including the experience drivers, driving at 70MPH or more are reckless drivers. Why?
  • Your right on the edge of your tires ratings.
  • In an emergence there is no way you'll stop in time at those speeds.
  • The kinetic energy of an RV when the speed is increases by just 10MPH is extreme. KE in foot pounds for a 26,000 pound RV at:
    55 = 2,629,212
    60 = 3,128,981
    70 = 4,258,891
    75 = 4,889,033
    80 = 5,562,633. As you can see between 50 and 80 the KE almost doubles so you're basically driving a bomb.
Any sane person driving an RV will stay at the posted speeds for towing, 60 in virtually every state, even if you're not towing, except in CA in which case stay at 60 unless you're towing. Why? Because at those speeds you:
  • Have good control over you're vehicle.
  • You can stop in a reasonable distance.
  • You're not running at the edge of you're tires limits.
  • You will get the best milage.
So this is my belief and you don't have to agree but I'm sticking to it. If someone wants to drive outside these limits please stay away from me.

So nobody uses tires made to go faster than 70 mph?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Beside, driving that fast I always spill my beer.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #104

Some of us are just better at what we do than others are. Sorry that it bothers you.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
Speed

You are better than what? Breaking the law? So sad for you.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I set the cruise control for the posted speed limit. if 70 do it. recently a section of RT95 in Delaware had the speed limit raised from 55 to 65. reason was some were doing 55 like nice little law abiding drivers and most of the traffic was traveling at 65+ . Those nice slow drivers were causing to many lane changes around them and causing bottlenecks to traffic flow. Now that the speed limit is up most everyone is running faster and smoother.

I must add that there were several significant improvements in the highway merge lanes which also help to allow the increase in speed limit. I all for speed. Just keep a look out for tom and mary jane traveling slow in the fast lane saving on fuel cost. If we all travel the same speed we would be a lot happier
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #107

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447383741.263492.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	111795

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #108

I never said anything about breaking the law.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Pay Up, Slowpokes: More States Fine Drivers Who Dawdle in the Left Lane - NBC News

Like second hand smoke, sometimes, others get to enjoy your lifestyle choices.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #110

I thought everyone knew that there are only three speeds on a highway. The "perfect" speed (which is the one you happen to be doing), the "OMG, what a nut job" speed (the person who is passing you), and the "Holy crap, do you even have a license" speed (the person who is in your way).
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Pay Up, Slowpokes: More States Fine Drivers Who Dawdle in the Left Lane - NBC News

Like second hand smoke, sometimes, others get to enjoy your lifestyle choices.
Not sure, but did any of those who said they prefer to travel around sixty say they did it in the left lane?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Some of us are just better at what we do than others are. Sorry that it bothers you.
Is this a self evaluation or are you certifications from a recognized authority?