Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Eric, I totally agree with you on knowing how to drive incase of an emergency. I do know how to drive her, I just prefer not to. I wanted to learn just because we may be in a position where it becomes necessary.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #16

In Australia there is none of this hopping into a big motorhome and driving with no training and you have to do a license conversion appropriate to the class of vehicle just as if you were a commercial driver, so when we converted the 40' 17 ton tag axle MC8 bus with 4 speed crash box, she passed the driving and theory test that on that bus is not real easy to do.
That said, we share the duties in other ways and I drive 99.99% of the time.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #17

My dh and I own a 24 ft class c view . I am so comfortable driving and running solo. We are going this weekend to test drive 40 plus motor home. I hope I am comfortable and can do it solo. We are full timing now and 24 ft gets very small especially when add grand babies.
Msterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We were at a CG once when fellow camper became ill and was not able to drive their coach. His wife had never even sat behind the wheel. She was actually looking for someone to hire to drive it home. Their daughter and son in law were with them and neither one of them could drive it either.

Make sure both of you can drive your MH. It takes some getting used to for anyone that has never driven one but it may become necessary some day. Go slow. Start it a big empty parking lot then try the road when there is little traffic.

My DW has no problem driving ours. We have a running joke about it though. Every time she drives it there are orange barrels (construction) ahead. Almost never fails.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #19

My DW was willing and able to drive our previous rig (F350 pulling a 38' fifth wheel). She didn't want to have to back it up or maneuver it in tight spaces, but that was fine.

We recently moved to a 40' DP and she says that she will drive it at some point. We are taking it from PA to CO this summer and I am sure she will drive on the interstate.
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjnick View Post
However, she prefers to sit in the co-pilot seat. I love to drive so it works for us.
That about sums it up for us.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #21

Wife not ready to drive it yet. She's capable, just doesn't feel comfortable. Will probably start off rest stop to rest stop during low traffic times. She is probably a better driver than I, but we'll get there!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There's not enough money in the world to get Annette to drive our MH!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I do all the driving and she does all the navigation.

It's a long story but in a nutshell the one time she did drive, which she is quite capable of, there was a guardrail, on a Montana hwy, looked really close, I cussed, now she doesn't drive.

She has cussed while I was driving also, but I haven't quit driving as it would put us in a very awkward situation.

We wouldn't have a driver.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #24

Lucky me, wife can do everything drive, setup, tear down, but we work as a team doing all of it together.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #25

I'm hoping it's a generational thing. It really is more practical to have as many drivers as possible.

But there's a difference between knowing how to drive and being able to do it competently and confidently when called upon. You have to keep your skills up, and that means time behind the wheel.

But here's a variation on that theme: When pulling into a campsite, whey do people always have the man driving and the woman directing?

It seems to me it should be the other way around. Given the right signals, a monkey could back an RV into a site, so the more skilled person should be the one doing the directing.

That would have the added benefit of giving the woman a little more time just sitting in that seat moving the steering wheel and pressing the pedals.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I flew the plane and she drove the RV and toad to a flying convention. She said it took an hour or so before she was comfortable. We'll see if she'll feel as comfortable driving the Camelot. Doesn't it look like one of the leveling jacks is down??
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
With photo this time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	122051  
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Open road and good weather the GF drives as much as she wants. Back roads, parking, after sunset and bad weather she prefers I take wheel. Plus the driver controls the radio and we have very different ideas concerning what is entertaining and what isn't.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome