Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #57

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
When we bought our Bounder she drove it home from the dealer 60 miles or so. We started sharing the duties with her doing most of the duty. Until..............

We lit out for Florida for our first long trip. She drove right through Atlanta no problem. She drove down the east coast of Florida right down the middle of Daytona no problem. Me? All I did was blow the tires. (Long story in another post) She drove it through Tampa / St Pete and at one point noted the wind was pushing her around. (Pre-CHF) I took over for a while to the next rest stop on I-75. When she got in the saddle again and up to speed she said immediately the wind was almost to strong for her to handle. Then a semi came whizzing past sucking her into the rig (we didn't hit it but it was close). Once the semi passed we went halfway into the left lane and the wind almost blew us into a guard rail all the way back across the right lane. She got the rig stopped on the right shoulder and had to sit there for a few minutes to collect herself. We then eased up the shoulder to the next exit and switched. She hasn't and will not drive the coach on the road unless emergency. She's an excellent driver in the driveway though.

Note: After the CHF was incorporated she did drive it 10 miles on I-75 but was not comfortable doing so.
One of the benefits of weighing 50,000#'s + and having a tag axle is never feeling that terror! And terror it can be!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
I drove our 45 ft yesterday for the first time in the country with no traffic. I intend to learn to drive it, so that I can give a break occasionally and to be prepared. BF scratched his cornea on Fla beach in the blowing sand this winter. Fortunately we were parked for 3 days so it could heal. I doubt I will drive much. With many thousand miles in a semi, he is just a more experienced, better driver. But should I need to drive, I want my learning experience to be controlled so that I will be more comfortable if I HAVE to do it.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

However, I am not able to afford my wife driving our coach......body work and paint repair
is just too expensive.

Dan

I hope for your sake that your wife doesn't follow this forum!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife drove our super c with a 20' tailer behind it all over the country for 5 years. When we switched to the class A with the same trailer, she was a bit nervous but tried it and did well. This week she handled it on her own with my daughter. She got herself into a tight situation at a Flying J while trying to park for the night but managed to get herself through the maze of parked vehicles. Proud of her!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #61

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
When I was in negotiations with my DW about buying an RV, one of her conditions was that she would never drive it. For the most part, I enjoy driving. But on long days, I have to admit it would be nice to get a break for a couple hours. But oh well, it is what it is!
And if something happens to you in the back end of nowhere, she will regret that choice. Cause SHE will be stuck.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
My wife can and does drive our coach. She's good for 30 (..ish) % of the driving on most extended trips. She tends to "cherry pick" her shifts - leaving it such that I'm behind the wheel when we're about to hit major cities as well as arriving at our destination (or anywhere else that "last minute" turns are likely to be required).

She does fine behind the wheel as far as simply driving the coach goes. However, her sense of direction is not the best - so she struggles a bit when faced with negotiating her way through cities. Unless she knows the stretch of the road she's on - she sometimes struggles with picking the right lane to be in to set up for upcoming merges / turns, etc. I tend to be a little stronger in that regard than she is - which means that all too often I end up needing to tell her where she needs to be and when she needs to be there. Of course, no good ever comes out of that situation.

We're both happy to avoid the stress - and simply have me drive the stretches where it's likely we'll encounter the issue.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #63

That's part of the reason I got rid of our DP with air brakes. She didn't have her air ticket and didn't want to get it. I don't know why, she's a very good driver. After five minutes behind the wheel of our "smaller" unit, she had it down perfectly. We didn't lose much living space, and have more storage, and she drives. Perfect!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #64

My wife occasionally scrapes her car on our driveway gate because she does not use her side view mirrors. She also runs over the curb sometimes in her Jeep when turning a corner cause she misjudges the turn. I recently added a drive shaft disconnect to my 4 door pickup so we did not need to switch cars if I did a trip without her. Do you see where I'm going with this answer on her driving the motorhome ?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
My wife occasionally scrapes her car on our driveway gate because she does not use her side view mirrors. She also runs over the curb sometimes in her Jeep when turning a corner cause she misjudges the turn. I recently added a drive shaft disconnect to my 4 door pickup so we did not need to switch cars if I did a trip without her. Do you see where I'm going with this answer on her driving the motorhome ?
Oh, no. She would be, so much more, carefull with the MH
Old 03-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
And if something happens to you in the back end of nowhere, she will regret that choice. Cause SHE will be stuck.
Why would she be stuck? My wife won't drive the MH for a lot of the previously posted reasons, but that is not something to worry about should I not be able to drive the MH for whatever reason. She has several choices, she has a cell phone, a Toad, and can always fly my son out to drive it home if it were that bad. I wouldn't give up all the fun in the MH just because she doesn't want to drive, nor would I expect her to do something she is uncomfortable with. I would honestly worry more about her panicking and crashing the MH than I would being "stuck" anywhere.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #67

Carolina Campers
Five years ago a couple I know was driving cross country in their fifth wheel. He did the driving, she didn't. They were headed from WA state to FL for a convention. Came by our place in Knoxville. We were waiting on them to show up for dinner when she called and said he had fallen off the roof and broken ribs, etc. Was at the local ER.

Thankfully she did have cell phone access and her son was able to take time off from his job to come drive the rig. But many of the places they had been did not have cell phone access and not easily accessible to an airport. And what would she do if her son hadn't been able to fly to her and then have time to drive the rig home?

Honestly I understand not wanting to drive a TT or a fifth wheel and she could have driven the tow vehicle without the rig. But a MH...

Where we travel doesn't always have cell phone access or a close by airport. I didn't say I drive ours but I do know how to do it so if my husband couldn't, I could. That is why I had the classes...so I could be comfortable behind the wheel. No, if I had not had the class or time in practice, I wouldn't do it if it was an emergency. But I can do it and do it well.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Five years ago a couple I know was driving cross country in their fifth wheel. He did the driving, she didn't. They were headed from WA state to FL for a convention. Came by our place in Knoxville. We were waiting on them to show up for dinner when she called and said he had fallen off the roof and broken ribs, etc. Was at the local ER.

Thankfully she did have cell phone access and her son was able to take time off from his job to come drive the rig. But many of the places they had been did not have cell phone access and not easily accessible to an airport. And what would she do if her son hadn't been able to fly to her and then have time to drive the rig home?

Honestly I understand not wanting to drive a TT or a fifth wheel and she could have driven the tow vehicle without the rig. But a MH...

Where we travel doesn't always have cell phone access or a close by airport. I didn't say I drive ours but I do know how to do it so if my husband couldn't, I could. That is why I had the classes...so I could be comfortable behind the wheel. No, if I had not had the class or time in practice, I wouldn't do it if it was an emergency. But I can do it and do it well.
Ok so if we are in a spot that doesn't have cell phone service, She drives a car everyday when we are at home. If she can't figure out how to drive the Toad just because we are out of town, then we have a bigger problem than being stuck. She doesn't need to know how to drive the MH, just how to get help if needed, and she's not stupid. I don't care whether you are towing a 5th wheel or driving a MH they are all a big difference than driving a car, so she doesn't want to(I know she could if she really wanted to). As for how far the Airport may be who cares, she probably wouldn't drive the MH that far anyway, but she would drive the toad as far as needed. If we had an emergency such that I couldn't drive, the expense to fly our son out would be the least of my worries. Even in your scenario they did what we would do "she had cell phone service and her son was able to come drive it home". They certainly weren't stuck out in the boonies. I would just hate for anyone to not enjoy the RV'ing life because the Wife(or other half) not wanting to drive. Their are several solutions in the event of an emergency.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
A Funny Spouse Driving Story Recalled

Quote:
... I do know how to do it so if my husband couldn't, I could. That is why I had the classes...

A late friend was 74 years young, he and his very athletic 60-year-old wife took their Class A gasser to the top of Pike's Peak.

At that scenic perch, something possessed them to adjourn to the stateroom for a little afternoon delight. The combination of high altitude, my buddy's age, and the vigor of his better half blended to trigger a heart attack. She dressed, lept behind the wheel, and barrelled down the mountain while her stricken mate lay gasping in bed.

He would live several good years after that, and always enjoyed telling the story
Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My DH handed me the wheel on our first adventure and I white knuckles it up the road from pendleton or, to the top of the pass on emigrant springs. Pried my fingers off the wheel, took 20 minutes to shake the blood back in and have never looked back. That was on our 36 foot gasser, I now run a 45 ft dp down the road and through traffic (I loathe rush hour in Lubbock tx). I have one more hurdle and that is pulling in for fuel. For some strange reason that scares the heck out of me. I think any GF or DW should know how to drive their rig. Not saying that they have to do it all the time but to be able to do it if needed and safely.

Tags
motorhome