Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
So far, I do it all - toad setup, driving, utility connections, navigation. The DW knows she has to learn, as she is very worried that something might happen to me. But, she just can't seem to find the right situation where she's willing to give it a go. I like the earlier posts' strategy that faked nodding off or an emergency to get her to take over. I also like the driving school strategy. She'd go for that. The risk for me is that I'd find out I'm really a bad driver!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #86

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
So far, I do it all - toad setup, driving, utility connections, navigation. The DW knows she has to learn, as she is very worried that something might happen to me. But, she just can't seem to find the right situation where she's willing to give it a go. I like the earlier posts' strategy that faked nodding off or an emergency to get her to take over. I also like the driving school strategy. She'd go for that. The risk for me is that I'd find out I'm really a bad driver!
The driving school can be just one person or two. When we had the TT, I let dh take that class as if something happened, I would ditch the trailer and just use the truck. But with the MH, I knew I needed to learn.

southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
I'm quite happy to be the passenger. (I'm an excellent navigator!) My DH is like a long-haul driver. He can drive forever. I drive a Suburban at home, but driving a big MH is something else entirely. We are both in our early 50's and I figure I have to learn how to drive the monster. I think I should take a driving course because I don't think my DH would be a patient teacher!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
My DW showed no interest in driving our MH until about a year and a half ago.. we were out locally for the weekend and I experienced a heart attack our second night there, and was hauled out in one of those seriously custom class C units with the cool flashing lights, etc., leaving her there alone with the dog. Since we were "local" (within 70 miles of the house) we didn't take the toad with us, so she was basically stuck.

She called her nephew who drove about 150 miles to come get her and take her and the dog home (he's a really great guy...), and that changed her mind. A week or so later after getting out of the hospital, we went down to pick up the MH and get it home... during the drive she decided it would be a good idea to learn to drive the MH. Since that time, she has spent a good deal of time driving it while I sit back and enjoy the passing scenery. It's nice to be able to relax and enjoy the trip from the passenger seat from time to time, and she's a pretty darn good driver!

We still have the standard routine of when arriving at our site, she takes care of all the inside stuff while I do all of the leveling and hooking up, but she has learned how to do all of the outside stuff as well, just in case.

That's my .02 cents....

Kyle
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #89

American Coach Owners Club
My wife does not want to drive so therefore I do not want her to. Having to drive in a emergency is not even a concern because if it is a health emergency that's what 911 and ambulances are for, what is someone going to do drive the MH to the hospital? She know's fully well how to unhook the toad, which we always have with us, so she will not be stuck anywhere. A mechanical issue will involve CoachNet, mechanics or tows, not her. She know's I will drive till I get tired and then pull over for a nap or find a campground, makes travel stress free besides leaves her free to make me coffee and navigate.
So if the husband has no problem driving I don't feel it's necessary for the wife to learn, unless she wants to and then drives enough to be fully competent in all situations.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello IRV Fans!

As I post this DW just expertly coasted out 35' Bounder to the I75 right shoulder with a DEAD V10!

Good Dam(Sam, sorry) Roadside tow is now enroute to tow us to the nearest CAMP not repair shop!!!
Oh, anyway DW is our PIC 98%!
I navigate, load and make minor repairs as we try full timeing!!

Cheers to Wives Driving!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #91

My wife can "drive" the motorhome fine. She is every bit as good a driver as I am. Or if you ask her, she is better. But she prefers I drive. Also, large diesel pusher motorhomes have lots of things to keep an eye on when driving that you don't do on a car. Like oil pressure, temp of coolant and trans, air pressure to ride system and tires, and so on. She does not know about these things and does not want to.

Frankly I wish she would drive more.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
And if something happens to you in the back end of nowhere, she will regret that choice. Cause SHE will be stuck.
That's why I signed up for GS Travel Assist. They will send a driver, or let you bring your own driver, to get you home. A couple years ago, we were 800 mi from home when I pulled a hamstring while working as a rescue diver. We were worried about how we would get home. Luckily, I was able to drive the next day with only minor pain, but it was a wakeup call.

She has driven a few times for short distances, but isn't comfortable and doesn't like it. She's also another one that will not use her mirrors while making turns. I try to encourage her, but I will not force it on her. I have been driving, backing, and pulling big horse trailers since before I was legal to drive.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At the RV dealership, my favorite customer is a lady at least closing in on 70 if not older. She and her husband own a very nice DP that's 45 ft long. If there is any work to be done on it she will bring it to the dealership, drop the toad, and come back when it's ready. Asked her the other day if she did most of the driving, and she said her husband didn't like driving it, so she does most of the driving.

Quite frankly, my wife scares the living you know what out of me when she is driving the MH. She is to nervous and uptight. We are moving to a 45 footer next year and she will be taking driving lessons.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skino47 View Post
Hello IRV Fans!

As I post this DW just expertly coasted out 35' Bounder to the I75 right shoulder with a DEAD V10!

Good Dam(Sam, sorry) Roadside tow is now enroute to tow us to the nearest CAMP not repair shop!!!

Cheers to Wives Driving!
Not to steal the thread, but is Good Sam towing you to a camp, not a repair shop by YOUR CHOICE? We have GS and I'm pretty sure it says they are required to tow you to the nearest location qualified to repair your vehicle . . . .

Also, please let us know what the resolution on the tow and the engine problem was
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
2 summers ago when we had a engine failure, Good Sam ERS wanted to have us towed to a campground. I argued with them and said a campground would not allow or let us have the unit repaired at a campground, and then I would have to call for a wrecker again to be towed to a repair facility.They said if towed to a Campground we could stay the night in our motor home.. I demanded that my Rig be towed to a ford garage. It was on a Sunday. They finally dispatched a wrecker which towed me to the Ford Garage in Twin Falls Idaho, which was only 9 miles away. We then rented a motel room across the street for the night. We got the motor home repaired the next morning and were on our way by 10:00 am.
Mel
Old 04-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
2 summers ago when we had a engine failure, Good Sam ERS wanted to have us towed to a campground. I argued with them and said a campground would not allow or let us have the unit repaired at a campground, and then I would have to call for a wrecker again to be towed to a repair facility.They said if towed to a Campground we could stay the night in our motor home.. I demanded that my Rig be towed to a ford garage. It was on a Sunday. They finally dispatched a wrecker which towed me to the Ford Garage in Twin Falls Idaho, which was only 9 miles away. We then rented a motel room across the street for the night. We got the motor home repaired the next morning and were on our way by 10:00 am.
Mel
What the heck happened to your coach that a Ford garage could repair by 10:00 am? Heck, the paperwork would take at least 3 hours!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope you do not have the trouble I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skino47 View Post
Hello IRV Fans!

Cheers to Wives Driving!
Skino47 hope you get it up and running. Here is the thread on my engine troubles hope you did not throw a rod like mine but if so this might help you: Engine threw a Rod or 2..need advice

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #98

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
What the heck happened to your coach that a Ford garage could repair by 10:00 am? Heck, the paperwork would take at least 3 hours!
It was a hot day, temps in the high 90's. Weak fuel pump in the gas tank. It was vapor lock on the infamous Ford 460 V-8 in a old 1997 Georgie Boy Motor Home. After setting all night and cooling down it was OK and started right up. Ford wanted $1200 for new Fuel pump and no guarantee that would stop the vapor lock. We went on our way and made it 180 miles, 15 miles from home when it started to vapor lock again. It was afternoon and the temps were in the 90's again. I pulled into a Flying J, where I took a Hour draining the Black and Gray tanks and flushing them, while the Engine cooled down. I Filled the motor home with Gas and headed for home. Was barley able to make it in the driveway. When it started to vapor lock again. A week later when it was cool early in the morning I took it to a dealer 50 miles away and traded it off.
Mel

Tags
motorhome