Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #99

Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
It was a hot day, temps in the high 90's. Weak fuel pump in the gas tank. It was vapor lock on the infamous Ford 460 V-8 in a old 1997 Georgie Boy Motor Home. After setting all night and cooling down it was OK and started right up. Ford wanted $1200 for new Fuel pump and no guarantee that would stop the vapor lock. We went on our way and made it 180 miles, 15 miles from home when it started to vapor lock again. It was afternoon and the temps were in the 90's again. I pulled into a Flying J, where I took a Hour draining the Black and Gray tanks and flushing them, while the Engine cooled down. I Filled the motor home with Gas and headed for home. Was barley able to make it in the driveway. When it started to vapor lock again. A week later when it was cool early in the morning I took it to a dealer 50 miles away and traded it off.

Oh, that makes sense. It's unfortunate that the Dealership wanted to throw parts at it at your expense with no guarantee anything would happen except they would get a $1,200.00 job. . .

Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #100
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just for future Info. If you would have tried putting several spring clamp wooden clothes pins on the metal fuel line in the engine bay the wood from the clothes pin would have absorbed the extra heat and prevented the vapor lock. I have done this successfully on many engines with a carburetor.

Steve n' Tammy with Ella Mae the "Shippet" in a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 32' on a Ford F53 Chassis and a V-10 gasser pulling a 2013 Ford Edge on a EZE Tow Dolly
c92vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #101
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm trying to teach my wife to motorhome. She has driven it a couple times, once on about at 20 mile stretch, scared us both a little, but she is interested. So hopefully overtime she will learn. She always pulls it up in parking lots etc. Oh in rush hour/ construction traffic she has taken the wheel so I could hit the head. A friend of ours wife drives all the time, so that helps my wife. If I could get an hour or two on long trips here and there, I would be happy with that. I enjoy driving, so it's not a big deal. I do have to get on her about learning the hook ups etc. Shown her a few times but no real interest there. Happy travels!
2005 Coachmen Encore Sportscoach
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #102
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Wife has tried to drive our old Airstream 345 but I couldn't stand the screaming.

On a two lane road every time she met a vehicle she screamed and I think she even closed her eyes.

I dept telling her the center line was her friend and to stay off the shoulder, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it, so we gave up. She will pull it up in the camp ground, but that's about it.

To be fair she did drive it on an interstate with light traffic for a while and did okay, but the Journey we have now is a lot wider and she doesn't want to try driving it.

That's okay because when I get tired we just park for the night.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #103
Back in the 90's, we bought a 93 34' Adventurer with a chevy gas engine. We had always had Suburbans and that was her favorite vehicle. (with the exception of her Mercedes 450SL convertable) The Adventurer had the same steering wheel as her Surburban, so she tried it. It worked very well as she would only have to drive for a couple hours while I took a nap. Later, we went to DP and it was more than she wanted to learn. She had the motto that if I needed a break, find a shady place to park and lay down. Now, when we are in heavy traffic or on a narrow road with our 75' long MH and trailer, I'll ask her if she would like to take over. I can't repeat her answer her, but it amounts to "NO". She would not feel comfortable driving nor would I. I happen to feel very relaxed, but not everyone can feel ok handling our length and weight when passsing or pulling into a fuel stop. I drive and she reads along with bringing me drinks and snacks. Works fine for us.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #104
Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW my wife drives were about 50-50 on driving. We did the baby step thing like from Rest area to off ramp, from ramp to gas station, from gas station to pulling into the camp ground, backing it in at the storage lot. She is about ready for a Girls weekend that is where she will go to a camp ground she is familiar with about an hour away and take her girl friends for a nite or two of camping then home. Of course I will be ready to go help her if needed but she is getting pretty confident in driving and setting up. I am all happy she wants to do this and this is her goal! She wants to use it to! I use it with my friends to go hunting several times a year!

Alan & Terry2000 Fleetwood Storm 34D
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar, RVi brake 2system
2015 Jeep Trail Hawk (Toad)
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #105
Tiffin Owners Club
Although we don't travel FT (yet), wife was willing to take a professional driving lesson at RV Boot Camp in 2015. Since then, she splits the full day drives with me. I do a couple of hours, she does a couple, then I take over again. She likes to plan the time so she gets open road and not city driving, but I am OK with that.
One observation she had after the lesson was that now no matter what vehicle she's driving (toad or RV) she uses the mirrors in ways she never did before the lesson. so she thinks it helps her everyday driving to have taken the lesson.
2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH/2012 CR-V EX-L Toad
Invisibrake/Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DH and I both drive, even passed our Texas license requirements. I prefer open road, but have muscled it through Lubbock rush hour in a 45 ft dp with a 12 ft trailer in tow, while the DH and pooch stayed calm and cool. Outside of utilizing my shipyard vocabulary at the idiots that have no concept of LG moving mass and stopping time all went fine. I have 1 more thing to conquer and that is fueling the rig. I do plan to take a driving course this fall. I figure there is always more to learn.
Lynn and Linda Day +Tank (pug)
2012 Foretravel Nimbus (42'); 15 Chevy equinox
lady puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #107
Yes it is very important for the wife to know how to drive the coach. If only one knows how to drive and he/she gets sick, then they are in trouble.

My wife actually taught me how to drive our first motor home. She drove a 40" diesel pusher Thomas school bus for thirty years, so for her it was a piece of cake. But having her sitting on the co-pilots seat and watching me drive is almost like having a highway patrolman on the passenger seat. LOL!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #108
This wife drives

We purchased our first MH in 2008, after 3 trips my husband sustained a brain injury. My choice was to give up RV'ing or learn to drive it. It was a Coachmen Mirada, no slides. 2nd hand but it was never used as the original owner developed a brain tumour and passed away before they had a chance. ( I think it was cursed ) After 1 year using it, we upgraded to a 2004 Southwind 37C. We spent our 1st winter in Florida Jan - Apr 2015. I'm still not sure if I was brave or stupid, but the trip was essentially uneventful in terms of issues.
brownedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #109
Monaco Owners Club
Wife finally drove ours this weekend. She did pretty good. I told her she needed to try before she takes the driving class next week. She signed up for a behind the wheel session at the Ramblin Pushers Maint. rally starting this week.
I am looking forward to her doing some driving again. She handled out 31' C pretty well. The A intimidates her.
2003 Monaco Camelot (New to us Dec 2014)
BennieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #110
On our upcoming trip, I plan on giving the DW some behind the wheel time. Starting out with large parking lots, moving up to open road. You never know what can happen.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #111
I should have added that she did some maneuvering on a previous trip, had a big smile on her face...
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #112

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It does feel good, once you get over the initial scare of driving something that big.

Lynn and Linda Day +Tank (pug)
2012 Foretravel Nimbus (42'); 15 Chevy equinox
lady puffin is offline   Reply With Quote