Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Wife drives motorhome?

After seeing another thread pertaining to this subject, i thought i would start this thread. I know from reading posts on this site that many women/ wives do not drive the motorhome. I dont know why because women can drive as well as, and even better than us men. My wife drives our motorhome very well and we trade off the responsibility on most trips. (She probably is a better driver than me) what about everyone else?

motohomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
I guess it's just always been my job to be the navigator and he does the driving. It's been that way for 45 years, why change now. I also do not put gas in the car either. Different generation. We have talked about my driving and he doesn't care one way or the other. I'm not against driving, I just like being the passenger. It works for us.

Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #3
I agree,
my wife can back a 53 foot trailer into a hold in one shot most of the time, it takes me three trys.

She's a class (A) CDL holder, but I have to gag her when I drive, because she's also a self proclaimed driving instructor.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
DTW, I had a chuckle at that. My kids used to tell their dad "why don't you let mom drive, she could get us in that parking spot" whenever we went to town and their was only parallel spots.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
She does, and learning more about all aspects of the coach. On our first test drives she did better than me on tight corners and speed control. I think sometimes us guys need to learn to get out of the way.
2015 Itasca Ellipse | 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lv2Roam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
My wife drives about 60% of the time. The only things she doesn't care to do are parking/backing and "off roading" on BLM boondock areas. She gets antsy when I drive down steep grades on a dirt road.

She mainly drives as a defensive mechanism because I tend to get bored and fall asleep. For some reason, it scares the snot out of her when my head starts nodding! So, whenever I don't feel like driving, I start nodding my head and she immediately orders me to pull off the highway and let her drive. Works for me!
2010 WGO Vista 30W, 1993 Geo Tracker
Just a user with no RV or mechanical expertise
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
First detail is, we are not married. Other then that minor detail, I have tried to get her behind the wheel. Explained to her last month that should I become unable to drive we would be stuck. She gave me a maybe so we are getting closer from an absolute no way.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones who's GF drives the RV... She really enjoys driving it (might be a control issue )...

We are weekend warriors and having the extra driver helps when we are desperate to get to our destination... time is always a factor.. would love to be able to take leisurely drives, but that's just not in the cards right now.. Someday !!

Additionally, for all those who say "He drives, I navigate, we've always done it that way".. my only recommendation is... LEARN how to drive it and be comfortable with being behind the wheel... God forbid the unthinkable happens.. there may be a time and place you will need to take over... it would be in everyone's best interest if you had some time behind the wheel and had the confidence in driving it down the road, in a campground or in a "city" environment...
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife was born and raised on a farm. She was used to driving farm equipment. We purchased our first MH in 1992 in Knoxville and when we were 1/2 way home I pulled into a rest stop and said I go my 50% this far you get your 50% the rest of the way home. She did well and has been driving since. She has problems backing with the mirrors. I don't think the farm machinery had mirrors.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
Though I sometimes wish she would get behind the wheel, she in not comfortable with driving the coach. So I end up doing the driving. It works out, in that after 8 - 10 hours of driving, I am ready to stop for the day. I once did 14 in a day, and promised myself never again. We started at 5 in the morning and got to our destination at about 10 that night. It was a very long day and not one I want to repeat.
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some people can drive a motorhome or tow a trailer well, and some can't.
Each group is made up of male and female, silly to think otherwise.

However, I am not able to afford my wife driving our coach......body work and paint repair
is just too expensive.

I already have a good scratch on the rear cap near the top where she was guiding me back into a spot. She was focused on the wheels snd did not think about looking up

There are just too many more things to worry about on a13ft high 40ft coach

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
When we were looking for our first motorhome my wife wanted a small Class C ~25', thinking it would be easier to drive. She was out of town when I bought a 31' Class C at an auction. She drove this RV solo most of the time going to dog shows.

We since have bought a ~38' Class A. She has driven this all over the eastern USA by herself also.

However, when we go somewhere together I will do +95% of the driving. This is also true in the day to day vehicle driving, I will drive most of the time.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
When we purchased our coach,( our first) the wife and I hired an instructor for a few days of driving instruction and learning how to care for the coach. I wanted my wife to be able to handle a 45 ft coach should I become unable to do it while on the road.
She does quite well and is even able to parallel park it!!! However, she prefers to sit in the co-pilot seat. I love to drive so it works for us.

Susie, John, and Babygirl (doberman)
Tiffin Zephyr 45ft
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Blue Ox
Air Force One
drjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife Susan usually drives 50% or more of the times, especially on long trips. She does great. I snooze, she drives.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote