Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #29
To restate an answer to your question, look into Lazydays in Seffner

Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #30
Fleetwood Owners Club
When we got our rig my wife wanted to drive it but we took baby steps for her to feel comfortable. I would pull into a rest area and let her drive from there then pull off on the exit ramp, swapped seats and I would pull it in the gas station. She would pull out of gas stations and so on. She got comfortable behind the wheel enough to pull into and out of tight situations and she likes to drive it now. Also it seems she also gets all the constructions zones and the traffic jams. It sure helps and if anything happens to me I know she will be able to drive.

AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #31
I took a CDL course thru Central Tech in Drumright OK a few years ago. They have an excellent program with practice course and top notch instructors who are also certified by the state and are road test officials. Every once in awhile they offer an RV course with these same instructors who are also experienced over the road drivers. They have about 15 tractor trailers and our class had five on the course at one time. For the T
RV course you use your own RVs.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
When we first were shopping for an RV my wife wanted one of the real small Class C's thinking it would be easier to drive. We looked for a while and just by chance, when she was out of town, I went to a dealer auction and bought a 31' Class C. My wife actually used it solo more then we did together as she would go to dog shows.

We now have a ~40' class A and pull a Jeep GC. When we are on a trip together I do a bulk of the driving but my wife still takes it solo to dog shows. She has learned pretty much everything she needs to know but I still get the occasional call at this or that doesn't work and I talked here through it.

We have friends and the wife has never learned to drive the Class A, which I think is a mistake. In case of an emergency the spouse should know how to drive.

I think your wife is making a wise decision on learning to drive the coach. It will give you some relief if you need it and provides a backup in case of emergency.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #33
Not happening here, by mutual choice
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #34
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Florida does not require any special tickets to drive a Class A. In fact, from my observations they don't even require double digit IQs to pass the driver's test.......
Nor even speak English. The test is available in Spanish!!! How a non- English speaking person is going to read and understand traffic signs is still beyond my comprehension.

Or if you prefer you can take the test on line!! (Have your friends help you with the answers)

The old joke of where did you get your license? In a box of Wheaties? May come true very soon!
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #35
My wife drives our Outlaw pulling the FJ as much or more than I do. I usually work from the passenger seat during business hours. At first she was nervous about driving, but a few times around the parking lot of a truck stop took care of that. Now she drives like a champ. I think it's important that the DW and DH can both drive the MH for many reasons. Lack of confidence doesn't mean lack of skill.
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #36
My wife can also drive our 37 ft. Outlaw. She has this confidence gene that seems to kick it whenever she tries almost any new skill. I did some short driving lessons around town with her and she was good to go. She has even driven the rig back from Nebraska to AZ with my son twice when I had to fly back to resume work.
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
She has been good about learning to drive the rig. But I am banging my head against a wall, when it comes to learning to dump😜😜😜😜
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
I'm the DW & wanted to learn to drive our 40' DP as soon as we got it. I was nervous, so lucky for us, the local Community College had a truck driving school. We stopped there & asked if anyone could give us RV driving lessons. Sure enough there was a guy there for us. We went one Sunday & he put us thru the paces. By the time we left, I felt much more confident. I probably drive about a 3rd of the time & my husband takes a nap when I do. I also feel it's important for both parties to know how to drive & at least practice on a regular basis. Just this summer, my husband got sick as we were leaving a campground. Luckily, our destination wasn't too far. I drove, dropped him off at the hospital, took the RV to the campground, set it up & went back to the hospital in the car. I have made sure I know every part of driving this RV. I always encourage women who don't drive to at least learn. You never know when you might need it.
Karen & Collins & Snuggles (our Shi-pooh)
Full timing & loving it!
Monaco Diplomat 2006
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #39
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen some information on this site that are very helpful . Try asking for this type of information and someone will direct you to the correct place.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
My DW and I definitely agree with having two drivers - you never know when an emergency will arise. That being said, she learned to drive with both feet. She hasn't been able to even drive a car with one foot. The habit is too strong. The steering column is adjacent to the pedals on our rig and keeps her from trying. Should've thought of that when making the purchase.
Marty and Denise chased by Casey our GR
'06 Monaco Knight 40 PDQ followed by '08 Honda CR-V
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #41
iRV2 No Limits Club
I envy you guys that can get your wife to drive! My DW won't even drive her car anymore and never has driven an RV, even the 17' Type B MH she wouldn't try.
So, enjoy it if you can get them into the drivers seat.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #42
Texas Boomers Club
I have been a truck owner past 40 yrs. About 20 years ago we purchased our 1st Motorhome 32 ft bounder so my DW was used to a big rig but would never drive. On one of our trips to Sturgis after we got out of town on open highway I told her I had to do something she needed to drive I set the cruise control and stood up she grabbed the wheel then I went to the couch few minutes later she woke me up and said you said you had to go to the bathroom I should know I had to do something and I was doing it taking a nap on the couch she still doesn't like to drive our 40 footer but she does in a pinch and does an excellent job. As I get older she does you more and more of the driving and I get to relax more and more
God bless Texas!

Dealer53 is offline   Reply With Quote