Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Over the past nine years my disability has slowly grown worse and my wife has take over more and more of the driving duties. Last year she gently suggested she do all the driving. She was afraid of hurting my feelings, but I was happy.

I now sit in the navigator seat and help her with unseen traffic hazards, speed changes, lane blockages and watch the GPS.

Last trip when I broke out the coffee and cookies, between naps, she commented that I am having too much fun being navigator. She is right.

She has been a transit bus driver, so she can handle our rig with ease.

As the future is so uncertain, both partners need to know how to drive, and operate all the features of the rig.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife took Lazy Days class and found some interesting things that made her comfortable to drive our 40'. New Jersey did not require a class B at the time however Texas does require a non commercial class B. Good luck and enjoy
house2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
My question is: why in the world would you try to drive when you only progressed two miles in 7 hours?

Why wouldn't you just pull off the road and relax, watch tv, cook, sleep ... And wait for the traffic to clear?

Cheers!
That's easy. Traffic was closed because some dummy took a few shots at a state trooper. There were police and emergency vehicles flying up both sides of the breakdown lanes.

In retrospect however, you're right. If there had been any decent spot to pull over we could have just hung out till it cleared and watched TV or whatever. Of course, at the time all we knew is that there was someone shooting nearby. would have been tough for me to take a nap.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #18

Florida does not require any special tickets to drive a Class A. In fact, from my observations they don't even require double digit IQs to pass the driver's test.

That aside, my wife did great driving. We went about 30 miles mostly on the highway. Only thing she needs work on is keeping the passenger side wheel on the correct side of the white line. I have the same problem. She also has a heavier foot than I do. Told her she needs to keep it between 60 and 65, which is where I like to drive.

To be honest, I think she did much better than the first few times I drove it.

Also to be clear, my wife is a great driver, but whenever we travel (even in a car) I just seem to do all the driving. She usually works on her laptop or sleeps.I cannot sleep while someone else is driving, just a nervous nellie I think.

I'm definitely going to find out when the next Lazy Days thing is. I think it would be good for both of us.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
My wife would drive our 38' gasser on interstates for a couple hours a day on long trips. Really helped my fatigue factor. We bought a 40' DP in March. She has been hesitant to drive it. And in fairness, she has had two stents, and two eye surgeries since March.
Yesterday, she ask what we had going, I responded not much. She said, maybe a good day to take a short trip and let me try to drive the rig. So we went and I got the MH out of storage, then she dove us to a small local town with great Chinese food. She drove about 50 miles on four lane, and 60 miles on two lane. A little slow at first, but she did great.
Needless to say, I am pretty proud of her!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
....We were looking for RV driving schools around Central Florida......But we have not seen anything except at a dealer across the state in Tampa, and we missed that opportunity...
+1 on the RV Driving School. They have numerous instructors all over the country. Www.rvschool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
......we decided that she should start learning to drive, ........Today will be the day. Going to the storage lot and she'd going to take it out........

Good for her!! When we started fulltiming in '12 my DW had never driven anything larger than a Lincoln Navigator, and was hesitant to drive. She said she wanted to learn, but we could never seem to find a time when she felt like working on it.

About two years ago we planned a stay in Livingston for a few weeks to change our domicile to TX. Perfect opportunity. After a bit of practice we both went and took the written and road tests for the TX Class B, and we both passed easily. DW scored higher than I did on the written test. I'm sure your wife will have no problem.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Easy for me. No wife. No problems!

:-))

I love it that way!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #22

I, being the DW, took the Lazy Days course 3 years ago. While it's not as in depth as I probably need, it's certainly a valuable course. We then took the MH out on a Sunday afternoon to a vacant business parking lot so I could practice. I drove it back to the storage lot. And, that was the end of it. I haven't driven since. I am so intimidated, I don't think I can do it. Actually, if it becomes part of the deal that I drive, I think I'll suggest we sell it.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
I would highly second or third RV Driving School. After my wife took that course last year she went on to get her CDL. She has far more training and drives better than I do. We made the decision when we purchased our first MH that it was imperative that everyone could drive the motorhome in case of an emergency.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
RV Driving School

Another vote for RV Driving School. Wife took lesson back in March while we attended Boot Camp in Tucson. After several hours of driving/practice parking/entering a campsite (with cones), highway & residential mix, she was ready to help on the return to home.
We just returned home yesterday from a vacation in Colorado, and although she'd prefer the highway time behind the wheel and leave the city part to me, having her ready to give me a break whenever needed is great!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My DW drives as much or more than I do. When she drives, I nap.
Yahooooooooo,
Some one else thinks the same as I do. My wife's been driving everything we've owned for decades. All motor homes, boats, everything, except our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. She's too short to hold that big beast up on two wheels.

But as for the motor home, she's great at it. I giver her the reins and, I move over to the Co-pilots seat, adjust the seat-back, put my feet up on the dash and, snooooooooz for a bit. It's just so nice to able to get your concentration off the road etc. for even a short bit. She's very comfortable being there.

I taught her and the kids to drive the big rig for multiple reasons. The most important one is, if I get ill or hurt which, has happened more than once. It's really nice to have a second driver while on trips.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #26

We've done the Lazy Days course and I'll be signing my wife up for this one in the near future.

RV School
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
We are doing the RV Driving school next month. She drove and backed in a parking lot with no issues so I think this will be a
good confidence builder. I'm sure we'll both pick up some good tips and learn a lot.

2002 National Sea Breeze LX 8341
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #28
RV LIFE Support Team

As a DW that drives a majority of the time and does all the backing up I feel it is imperative that both know how to drive. In case of emergency, illness or whatever if there is only one driver what happens.

To me, personally, it is irresponsible to have only one driver.

When we bought our first MH after years of towing a 38' 5th with an MDT I hopped into the driver seat and moved it from the parking spot to the office(maybe 1000 feet), around 3 turns. I didn't even hesitate, this was a delight to drive, so much shorter. Totally impressed the guy who gave us the tour of the MH. He was very much surprised.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote