Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Wife is going to drive the MH

Since we've gotten our 35' Excursion in January I've been the exclusive driver. Not that my wife isn't capable by any means, just that she's probably as intimidated by driving this big thing as I was on my first test drive. We were looking for RV driving schools around Central Florida. It would have been good for her and for me too since I'm sure I don't know everything I should. But we have not seen anything except at a dealer across the state in Tampa, and we missed that opportunity.

Last trip we got stuck in a 7 hour traffic jam. After I while I had to use the facilities (so lucky to have them when stuck like that). So I showed her the basics of the air brake and the transmission buttons. Told her she had to press the brake pedal with the top of her foot, not the bottom since the hinge is at the bottom. She sat in the drivers seat for about an hour, moving up slowly (I think we went less than 2 miles in 7 hours) and then I got back in and a bit later we continued our trip.

Afterwords we decided that she should start learning to drive, if for no other reason than to give me a break for an hour or so on long trips. Today will be the day. Going to the storage lot and she'd going to take it out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Good for her. Tell her that I'm a 61 year old female and I drive my 38 footer with car on a tow dolly just fine. I firmly believe all females should at least try. She just might find she likes it, I do.

Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Good luck to the both of you at least she is willing to try.my wife still complains about the Tahoe being to big
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Our classic (maybe antique) motorhome is smaller, but DW drives most of the time in daylight. This works out well as I am better at using the navigation systems that we carry and we tend to go strange places (by design).

At the type specific rallies, she is often an instructor teaching the wives.

There are several single women in our group, and they don't have trouble with driving. The only problem they have ever reported was that one tried to handle the spare tire alone. (A lot of guys have trouble there - too.)

It also works out well when we have to do a long pull. With two good drivers, a one thousand mile day is doable.

It also works out for me as I get to sightsee while she is driving.

Matt
Old 08-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DW drives as much or more than I do. When she drives, I nap.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife drives ours with not concern. She used to drive school buses.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Since we've gotten our 35' Excursion in January I've been the exclusive driver. Not that my wife isn't capable by any means, just that she's probably as intimidated by driving this big thing as I was on my first test drive. We were looking for RV driving schools around Central Florida. It would have been good for her and for me too since I'm sure I don't know everything I should. But we have not seen anything except at a dealer across the state in Tampa, and we missed that opportunity.

Last trip we got stuck in a 7 hour traffic jam. After I while I had to use the facilities (so lucky to have them when stuck like that). So I showed her the basics of the air brake and the transmission buttons. Told her she had to press the brake pedal with the top of her foot, not the bottom since the hinge is at the bottom. She sat in the drivers seat for about an hour, moving up slowly (I think we went less than 2 miles in 7 hours) and then I got back in and a bit later we continued our trip.

Afterwords we decided that she should start learning to drive, if for no other reason than to give me a break for an hour or so on long trips. Today will be the day. Going to the storage lot and she'd going to take it out.
For a great campground and a driving school as well, Lazyday's in Seffner, FL, should suit all your needs for a few days getaway.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Before we even bought the coach we agreed driving was going to be 50/50. Our maiden voyage last year with the new coach was AZ to MA - r/t was 5200 miles. We swapped back and forth and each drove 50/50. I remember her first toll booth - which was tight - I asked if she was was going to make it okay - she smiled and said "we're going to find out!" Needless to say she threaded it like a pro.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

I drive ours exclusively and do the navigation as well. I guess we should start a threads that says my DH is finally learning to drive our rig��
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Find a good local school bus driver. That's what we did. Good friend of ours was a school bus driver and she took us first to a large parking lot (then on the road) and showed us (and helped us practice) important things like turning radius, backing up, using the cameras, changing lanes, merging, etc. I am the DW half of the team and what Becky taught me gave me a huge comfort level when I started driving the RV. Had never driven something that long before and I had been apprehensive. DH had been towing boats forever, so length wasn't an issue for him, but even he said some of her tips were very useful.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
RV Driving School and DON't YOU TEACH HER nor TELL HER HOW TO DRIVE. Because you both will drive differently.

BTY 50/50 split
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife drive 20' in 93,000 miles. Twice at a gas station, she pulled up 10' so I could gas up the toad. She liked the right seat and I liked the left seat. It worked real well for us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #13

Make sure to check her licence classification. In our state, most modern motorhomes bump you up to class B licencing anyhow. Most people only get class D when they get their licence. In fact, a lot of motorhomers don't know this in Illinois.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post

My question is: why in the world would you try to drive when you only progressed two miles in 7 hours?

Why wouldn't you just pull off the road and relax, watch tv, cook, sleep ... And wait for the traffic to clear?

Cheers!