Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Boy I don't know $32.00 for propane for a month and a 1/2 isn't too bad. I use it for cooking also. Using the camps electric to run a spare heater is just wrong. Then I wonder why are campgrounds prices going up.
If you can't afford the gas get rid of the MH.
J M O,

Tim
I don't get this. If i pay for 30 amp service, then shouldn't i be able to use up to that 30 amps?

We too use a 1500 watt space heater, UL listed with tip over protection, on those cold nights. But i rarely run it on high. On our smaller coach, the 900 watt setting works fine. The propane furnace assists when it's really cold outside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #30

I stayed in Pleasant Lake CG, here in NY, back in May.

The brochure and recipt both stated that no electric heaters be used. If discovered, you would be asked to leave.

The power was metered and AC was not mentioned. My best guess was a fire hazard.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I stayed in Pleasant Lake CG, here in NY, back in May.

The brochure and receipt both stated that no electric heaters be used. If discovered, you would be asked to leave.

The power was metered and AC was not mentioned. My best guess was a fire hazard.
My guess is they're cheap. Portable propane heaters are equally hazardous, if not more. It's also possible that their wiring is inadequate.

In my experience, a lot of independent campgrounds, particularly family-owned, operate on somewhat folksy business models. Low costs are often their main goal.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Point,
I use the genie for AC rarely use it, too Loud, and its about the only time I get to use the Genie. While sno-birding we pay the electric per month $20-30
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can arrange your heat just about any way you want. We like to be comfortable. For us that means about 70*. I know folks whose standard winter regimen is to set the Thermo at 55* and wear lots of sweaters, night and day. Not for me.

Whether you're going for the so-called free electricity or not there are a couple of things you have to remember: 1) if your outside temp goes below 38-40 degrees the heat pumps will lose efficiency rapidly. In many MHs the HVAC system will auto magically cut out the heat pumps below a certain point; and, 2) if your temps are solidly cold- like low 20s or below- stuff in your water bay will start to freeze. Your propane furnace is the only thing that will feed warm air into the water bay. Heat pumps won't hack it. If you really love to squeeze as many nickels worth of "free electricity" as possible out of those greedy campground owners, you could put a 100W bulb in the bay on an extension cord. That might help. Go for it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Your propane furnace is the only thing that will feed warm air into the water bay.
JFXGS
I use an electric space heater in the area of the water bay controlled by a Themo-Cube, (which turms it ON at 35 degrees Fahrenheit, OFF at 45 degrees Fahrenheit): https://www.walmart.com/ip/21154717?...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #35

Quote:
You can arrange your heat just about any way you want. We like to be comfortable. For us that means about 70*. I know folks whose standard winter regimen is to set the Thermo at 55* and wear lots of sweaters, night and day. Not for me.

Whether you're going for the so-called free electricity or not there are a couple of things you have to remember: 1) if your outside temp goes below 38-40 degrees the heat pumps will lose efficiency rapidly. In many MHs the HVAC system will auto magically cut out the heat pumps below a certain point; and, 2) if your temps are solidly cold- like low 20s or below- stuff in your water bay will start to freeze. Your propane furnace is the only thing that will feed warm air into the water bay. Heat pumps won't hack it. If you really love to squeeze as many nickels worth of "free electricity" as possible out of those greedy campground owners, you could put a 100W bulb in the bay on an extension cord. That might help. Go for it.

What "free electricity"? Are you talking about campgrounds that don't charge a campsite fee? If so, that's a different story. I'm not talking about one of those. What i'm referring to is a campground where i pull in, go into the office, and PAY for my campsite. The electricity is not free when i do this and i expect to be able to use up to the amperage (30 amp service in my case) that i paid for.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mud, you missed my point. I agree with you-- thus the quotation marks used around the words free electricity to denote the sarcasm. I have no problem using the electric I've paid for, but I won't go so far as to excessively load my devices by running them in environmental conditions for which they were not designed, or willingly subject myself to an uncomfortably cold living space just to avoid burning a few bucks worth of propane. I know people who do both, when it's not necessary, and that's just silly, IMO.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
JFXGS
I use an electric space heater in the area of the water bay controlled by a Themo-Cube,.......

Yup, I know many folks who use either a small space heater or a light bulb.
Just out of curiosity, what's your reason?

Old 10-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Mud, you missed my point. I agree with you-- thus the quotation marks used around the words free electricity to denote the sarcasm. I have no problem using the electric I've paid for, but I won't go so far as to excessively load my devices by running them in environmental conditions for which they were not designed, or willingly subject myself to an uncomfortably cold living space just to avoid burning a few bucks worth of propane. I know people who do both, when it's not necessary, and that's just silly, IMO.

I should've have caught that. And i agree with everything you just said.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmetz View Post
>
>
I'm wondering why more people don't just use the heater that's in the coach. We just bought an itasca (2000) & plan on going to northern Michigan in late October, is the coach heater going to be inadequate ? Is there something everybody isn't telling me ?
I am not sure about other people, but we have a 2016 Ace and running the furnace does two things: 1. Uses propane. 2. It is noisy.

If parked with full hookups I would rather use a quiet electric heater using their power than the furnace. However, if it gets too cold you will likely need to use your propane furnace...
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
JFXG
The reason I have an electric space heater permenatly installed in the water bay area of my coach, (always plugged into an "ON at 35degree/OFF at 45 degree" Thermo-Cube), is because that space heater automatically prevents the waterlines and tanks in the basement of my coach from freezing in outside temps as low as 15 degrees Fahrenheit anytime I have shore or generator power... and I'm heating the living space with electric space heaters, (aka: NOT running the propane furnace).

When traveling, overnighting or camping in cold/freezing weather, (where I have no shore or genset power), I run the propane furnace.... which heats both the living space and the basement.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles, (mine since '01)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #41

Quote:

The light bulb assists the mice in finding the quickest way to get up to where the food is stored!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:32 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We run our propane furnace when we camp during the winter, or if it's cool at night when traveling. When our MH is parked for any period of time at home we use an oil heater to keep things warm at night. It doesn't have to be toasty warm, just warm enough to keep condensation down and the pipes from freezing up. We use our MH year round so it doesn't sit empty for long.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater