RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Will 38' Fit in this Driveway?

Pull in on the left side as you drive in. When your drivers seat is even with the “tree” turn to the right and pull forward so your angled to your drive. The rear wheel should be just forward of the tree corner very close to the edge , not the back of the rv .. the rear tire . ( might be better if the “tree” wasn’t there but that depends on how big it is) you should now be sitting angled sideways in the entry drive, the rear now pointing at the other sides retaining wall corner . Cut the wheels hard to the left and try to turn that driver side rear wheel as tight as possible around that corner.
Watch the front pass side for the fence and the first time for sure , have a spotter watch that the pass rear wont hit the retaining wall.
It all “ looks” doable

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #16

12' is fairly narrow but the 36' adjacent driveway should make it doable.

You may have to jockey it once or twice but it should fit no problem.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #17

Thanks!
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

You don't say if it is paved and or cement curbs.
I do exactly what you have. Driver side wheels in center of street, pull up past the driveway, ( to a specified point), backup and cut wheels to left hard while backing until rear tires hit the far curb. You paint a strip on that curb for a rear wheel target, then moving forward turn front wheels into driveway. Backing out is the reverse and the two stop points are just trial and error until you have them established. In my case I pull up until I (my eyes) are even with the end of the neighbors house, then back up.
As I pull in my drive, my right side tires come up over the curb, so I have built an 18" ramp for them to climb up. I have to do this to keep the rear frame/hitch from digging into the pavement. This gives me about 1" of clearance, but nothing scrapes.

I think you can do it, may need an extra set of eyes while you establish your stop points.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just measured the street in front of my house and it's 38 feet wide. I back my 39 foot coach into the side of my house through a 11 foot gate opening that sits back about 30 feet from the street.

Do as others have mentioned...go to your turnaround so it's a bit easier to see.

I painted white lines at the far end of where It sits so I can center it as I back in. I have exactly one inch on either side when the bay doors are open so getting it centered is.....interesting.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Winniman, if I understand, you suggest backing in like in this drawing:
If your diagram is to scale,, no problem!

I haven't driven a 38 footer so don't know for sure. But I would think backing it in would be doable and the way to go.

I agree that backing in left is a bit easier but really not all that much more difficult than backing in right. Either way, at least until you get better used to it, make sure to have a spotter or two to keep you from getting too close to surrounding obstacles. With a 12 foot driveway, I imagine there's a chance the rear tires will miss the driveway at the start of the turn. Also, you may end up getting close to the tree if your forward departure is left into the street.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My approach is slightly different then stated. I have to back my 43 foot MH into our driveway but it is much wider than yours.

Here's what I would do and it is worth the try.

Turn around in the cul-de-sac. As you approach your drive way stay close to the curb. (Use a spotter/guide) When your left back tire gets to the first edge of your driveway swing out to the right and back to the left in a "S" shape move. As your rear tire gets just to the edge of the other side of the driveway, stop. Now cut your wheels and start your back-up procedure. you may have to pull forward a little and back-in until you are where you want to be. Sometimes I do it on the first try and others I need to maneuver a little. My wife is ALWAYS my ground guide.

Do think of widening your driveway a little or a lot,
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #22
NXR

Review this video starting at 32 minutes, Backing into a Campsite. This is how we back our 38-footer into our driveway and the street is only 24 feet wide. We try to keep it solely on thicker, reinforced half of the driveway, which is 10', and are successful most of the time. You have a lot more space in the road than we do so you should be successful 100% of the time.

One thing to be aware of is the "wheel cut" of your motorhome. That's how far the wheels turn and how sharp a turn you can make. Most Ford F53 chassis's are 50 degrees, unless you have the 22,000 GVWR chassis with 22.5" wheels, like I do. Then it's only 42 degrees. That makes our turning diameter about 72' versus 67'. In practice, I like it better. We can start our turns sooner because the off-tracking is smaller. If you're not familiar with off-tracking there is a good RV Geeks video on it.

HTH,

Ray
Old 09-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Winniman, if I understand, you suggest backing in like in this drawing:
Yes. Its always easier to back in on your drivers side. You can see in the mirror much better. That is also why your spotter should always be on the drivers side at the rear. You can see them much better than in the passenger side mirror. After you have done it a few times, and backed into 50 campsites, you will be a pro. Go for it.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #24

I think you could get in there with a 45 footer! That's a lot of road to work with. If you can't get in there, I don't know how you'd ever get into a back-in campsite as most of those aren't wider on the pad than your drive and you usually don't have 38' width in a campground road to work with.

The posted drivers course will give you all the info you need on how to set up the motorhome in the street to easily get into your drive.

All that said, I assume your driveway is NOT at a steep slope to the road. If it is, be sure to have someone watching the back end very carefully the first time you back in to be sure you won't hit the skid bars on the back of the coach into your drive.

Going in forward shouldn't be a problem either, if that's your preference.

Net...should be easy-peezy!
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #25

I have a 38’ and back it in just as you will. I have about the same width but only about 30’ in the rural road with bar ditches. I agree with backing in with you drivers side mirrors. Just take it slow and you will get use to it.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #26

A 36ft wide street to start your turn from, Ray Charles could put it in there.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
We routinely back a 45’ motorhome into a 14’ wide parking space with a 25’ wide road in an Arizona RV park. You will have absolutely no problem getting in.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #28

I think it would much easier to plan your approach if you would make a drawing to scale. For instance, in your drawing, your 12' wide drive is the same size as your 36' street. Make a drawing where the street is 3 times as wide as the drive. You really can't plan anything with that drawing.

C5c5 also has a drawing where the length of his 38' motorhome is about half the width of the 36' street, and the 36' street is the same size as the 12' drive.

Start with a drawing that is to scale and cut a scale size piece of paper to represent the coach size..