RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #57

So is this just the storage place for the RV or will you be loading and unloading it from this location. Will you be getting into and out of the basements from this location?

If it's storage only then backing in will be fine. If you will actually be accessing the coach and loading it up and getting into the basements then you might consider driving it in and hugging tight to the driver side. This will give you lots of room to get in and out for the loading/unloading process.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Congrats on the new rig. Post a picture when it's parked in the driveway!!
Thanks! Will do.

C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
So is this just the storage place for the RV or will you be loading and unloading it from this location. Will you be getting into and out of the basements from this location?

If it's storage only then backing in will be fine. If you will actually be accessing the coach and loading it up and getting into the basements then you might consider driving it in and hugging tight to the driver side. This will give you lots of room to get in and out for the loading/unloading process.
For the next 2 months I'll be making modifications and repairs to the RV, then I'll cover it and store through winter.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Review this video starting at 32 minutes, Backing into a Campsite. This is how we back our 38-footer into our driveway and the street is only 24 feet wide. We try to keep it solely on thicker, reinforced half of the driveway, which is 10', and are successful most of the time. You have a lot more space in the road than we do so you should be successful 100% of the time.

One thing to be aware of is the "wheel cut" of your motorhome. That's how far the wheels turn and how sharp a turn you can make. Most Ford F53 chassis's are 50 degrees, unless you have the 22,000 GVWR chassis with 22.5" wheels, like I do. Then it's only 42 degrees. That makes our turning diameter about 72' versus 67'. In practice, I like it better. We can start our turns sooner because the off-tracking is smaller. If you're not familiar with off-tracking there is a good RV Geeks video on it.

HTH,

Ray
Ray, Thanks for the video share. It was one of the first driving videos I watched when I started my research.
Loved it.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
It will be tight but doable. I would remove the top 3 courses of the railroad tie wall. Your tail could come close to impact either backing in or pulling out.

Sorry if I missed it what coach are you buying ? How long is the coach behind the rear wheels?
Peter, Im buying a 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. It does have quite a bit of a tail...I don't know how long.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #62

To scale in AutoCAD. Its a tight one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fit.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	260140
YAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Will 38' Fit in this Driveway?

Easier if you donít start the turn from the far right side. Some of us didnít play with Tonka trucks when we were kids or play with big trucks when we got older
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking Look around town for another RV'r

Faced with the same dilemma three years ago and unwilling to make the purchase without certainty of the fit I found another party in town with a 38' class A and prevailed upon him to come take a shot at my new driveway and gate. Gave him some cash for his gas and time and he was more than willing to help out. Much to my surprise he swung right in on the first pass and made it look easy. Thankfully I took pictures as he made his approach so I could do the same thing when I got my own rig a few months later. RV folks are very helpful and nothing beats the experience of a seasoned hand when it comes to fitting in tight quarters. Ask around and you might get lucky like I did and get some help and confidence at the same time.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAN View Post
To scale in AutoCAD. Its a tight one.
Attachment 260140
Yamen, here is a picture of the motorhome. Will the tail overhang make a difference for the placement of where to start? Someone suggested earlier to start in the middle of the street.Click image for larger version

Name:	00C0C_2vPfKgytAQp_600x450.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	260150
Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #66

That shouldn't be a problem

The trick is beginning the backup from a 40-45 degree angle (or as close as you can get to it). The street is already 36 feet wide so turning your 38 foot coach to a 40 degree angle shouldn't be a problem.

As you begin to back from that position you will mostly watch your rear passenger tires to see when they clear the retaining wall on that side. I usually have to adjust the passenger side mirror at a more downward angle to clearly see the tires. Once you see daylight between the the tires and the retaining wall cut the wheel all of the way over to the right until the coach becomes parallel to the retaining wall and then maneuver into the position that works best for you. By maneuvering the coach from the right hand side of the street to the 45 degree angle at the beginning, once you begin backing you will already be pulling away from your neighbors fence so that shouldn't be an issue. As in any backing situation just keep your head on a swivel checking where your front end is swinging to as your go through the maneuver.

Keep in mind you need to leave yourself enough room to be able to open the door and exit the vehicle. I back my 43 foot Dutch Star off of a 20 foot wide street onto a 25 foot wide driveway without issues. Be patient with yourself the first few times you do it and you'll be fine. After the first 8 or 10 times you do it your muscle memory will kick in and then you'll be answering this question for someone else.

Good Luck,

Les Evans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_0001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	260149  
levans1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #67

No a 38 foot motorhome will not fit in a 35 foot driveway. Not even sure why you ask the question.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by levans1788 View Post
The trick is beginning the backup from a 40-45 degree angle (or as close as you can get to it). The street is already 36 feet wide so turning your 38 foot coach to a 40 degree angle shouldn't be a problem.

As you begin to back from that position you will mostly watch your rear passenger tires to see when they clear the retaining wall on that side. I usually have to adjust the passenger side mirror at a more downward angle to clearly see the tires. Once you see daylight between the the tires and the retaining wall cut the wheel all of the way over to the right until the coach becomes parallel to the retaining wall and then maneuver into the position that works best for you. By maneuvering the coach from the right hand side of the street to the 45 degree angle at the beginning, once you begin backing you will already be pulling away from your neighbors fence so that shouldn't be an issue. As in any backing situation just keep your head on a swivel checking where your front end is swinging to as your go through the maneuver.

Keep in mind you need to leave yourself enough room to be able to open the door and exit the vehicle. I back my 43 foot Dutch Star off of a 20 foot wide street onto a 25 foot wide driveway without issues. Be patient with yourself the first few times you do it and you'll be fine. After the first 8 or 10 times you do it your muscle memory will kick in and then you'll be answering this question for someone else.

Good Luck,

Les Evans
Thank you Les! I will find out on Saturday. I will be having my brother ground guiding me. Lol, I should have him take pictures of my mistakes and I'll post them on here for laughs!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
No a 38 foot motorhome will not fit in a 35 foot driveway. Not even sure why you ask the question.
Mike, my driveway is 55 feet.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I use to park our coach in the driveway at the old house, which has similar dimensions of what you show, except the width of the street was only ~25'. Both the street and the drive were at an incline, with the drive being slightly steeper.

I could either pull in or back in and had enough room to fit.

I preferred backing in, I would do it so my back drivers side would be visible while backing in and I spot the back wheels and make the cut when the wheels were just in front of the drive. Not a problem at all.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote