RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #71

If I were to pull in, would it be better to make a left hand turn into the driveway versus making a right hand turn?

C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #72
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Make sure you have a spotter to help you for the first few times.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAN View Post
To scale in AutoCAD. Its a tight one.
Attachment 260140
Wondering why you would start with the vehicle right against the curb on the other side of the street ? At what point do ya cut the wheel and drive into the curb?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Hello! I am looking at a 38 foot class A to purchase shortly. I have two driveways to park it on. I'd prefer to park it on one over the other since it is level and more protected. I drew a map of the driveway. Will I be able to manuever a 38' class A into it?
-No preference forwards or backed in
-The road is a cul-de-sac that goes uphill
-The driveway has a firm 12 foot clearance, one side is a retaining wall starting at a foot and gradually increasing to about 3 feet while the other side of the driveway butts right up to a large tree
-My neighbor has a fence right at the edge of the road opposite of my driveway so there is no room for the tail backing up a little over the grass there at all
@@@@
Should be able to back it in easy, assuming that the driveway is level and there are no worries about the tail dragging on the driveway. Will the tree be dropping stuff on your new mega investment ? May be something to think about also does the tree attract or have any critters like s squirrel or some such? They too may like your new rig!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The best thing I learned from driving semis is......always back in on your drivers side ......lot less chance of a accident. So up around the circle and back in. You will have the big drivers window and your mirror.If you are towards the drivers side of the driveway ya know you are ok on the passenger side.

Imho, this is the correct way and only one turn

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #76

Get a packet of red solo cups and set them out in a parking lot to simulate the size and give it a try. This is the easy way. Send your wife elsewhere when doing it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by completelymo View Post
Imho, this is the correct way and only one turn
x2!
The easiest approach is going to turn her around in the cul-de-sac heading out. Pull towards your drive, plant her tail at the end of it and 45 your rig across the road. Then you are using your drivers side view. Over time you will associate land marks on the road and aside it that will put you in the perfect spot at the perfect angle every time!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #78

What about that neighbor's fence? While trying to move the rig back and around, you don't want to impact the fence, so......

a. could you offer to move his fence 5' off the roadside?

b. could the county or city setbacks allow you to demand some relief?

c. could you offer the guy some money in order to make your life easier?
Old 09-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAN View Post
To scale in AutoCAD. Its a tight one.
Attachment 260140
Man I read some silly responses here! This is the answer your looking for. At worst, your rear wheels would cut across the grass at the entrance to the driveway. Definitely doable. We too have a tight situation. Oh and backing in would probably be the better way but thats my preference
rcnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #80

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The best thing I learned from driving semis is......always back in on your drivers side ......lot less chance of a accident.
And how steep is the incline of the road? When backing into a spot from an inclined road, it is better to back uphill, not downhill.

So, I agree. Turn around in the cul-de-sac. Come back. Then back into the drive.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Hello! I am looking at a 38 foot class A to purchase shortly. I have two driveways to park it on. I'd prefer to park it on one over the other since it is level and more protected. I drew a map of the driveway. Will I be able to manuever a 38' class A into it?
-No preference forwards or backed in
-The road is a cul-de-sac that goes uphill
-The driveway has a firm 12 foot clearance, one side is a retaining wall starting at a foot and gradually increasing to about 3 feet while the other side of the driveway butts right up to a large tree
-My neighbor has a fence right at the edge of the road opposite of my driveway so there is no room for the tail backing up a little over the grass there at all

Fortunately there is no cul de sac at our location, but a through street. However we have a telephone pole on one side of our driveway, and a mail box fairly close on the other side.

We pull into our driveway (preferred with mail box side on our right) by driving on opposite side of road and making the turn into the drive. We pull in and stop short of the parking place for the coach...and unhook the tow car, then pull the rest of the way into the parking space. Fortunately when it is time to hook up for the next trip, we have a grass spot beside our driveway (that is shared with a neighbor behind out place) and the next driveway that we can back into to get turned around for egress... back up towards the tow vehicle, hook up then proceed to drive out the driveway by staying as close to the telephone pole on the right to turn left onto the road.

We are driving a 40' Monaco Windsor DP and towing either a Ford Explorer Sport Track or a Lincoln MKX.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Get a packet of red solo cups and set them out in a parking lot to simulate the size and give it a try. This is the easy way. Send your wife elsewhere when doing it.

BEST answer ever! Way better than my long post.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #83

I suggest you take Just for Fun's advice.
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #84

Backing up 38ft into driveway

I just bought a 38ft last month and I have a 10ft wide driveway with the street being 24ft wide. If you drive in facing the cul-de-sac, you can cut the corner on the grass into your driveway. Then you should only have to pull up one or two times to get the coach backed into the driveway. That was how I was able to get my coach backed in. If you have trees lining your street, make sure the limbs are high enough for clearance.

paulkee1 is offline   Reply With Quote