Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Will I be Sorry Choosing a 45' DP

I am seriously looking for a new MH and keep finding myself drawn to the 45 footers, mostly '06 / '07 vintage. There must be some drawbacks besides the obvious, but with 40' having been my largest, and 34'-36' more often over the last 45 years, I would hate to make a mistake because I overlooked something I should have considered.

Any thoughts for me before taking this plunge?
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

I will be taking the plunge soon, but buying used. It is my opinion that I can't get it right or wrong. I will make a good decision or a bad decision. If I don't know what the drawbacks are, then I'm not ready IMHO, because every motorhome has drawbacks, compromises, and our needs will change in the future.

For me, I have to do a lot of due diligence...an endless list. You have an endless list as well, just from a different perspective, from what I've learned so far.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is a 43, that measures a little over 44'. Had it for over a year and have no regrets. This is also our biggest one yet and we absolutely love it. Just drove 1100 miles in two days and the ride and handling of these big ones is better than most luxury cars. The roominess of the coach,with all 4 slides extended, makes us feel right at home and not in each other's way. Sure, fuel mileage is less because of the size and weight, but if that were a consideration we would never have adopted this lifestyle. Jmo. Randy
Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Even though you're drawn to the 45's, don't miss looking at the 42's and 43's. When we bought our 43' Tiffin, we also considered their 45' and found we liked the 43' floorpaln better. When we took delivery of the 43' we measured it and found it actually about 44' and the floorplan was more livable.

We went to the 43' because loads on the 2 axle 40' Bus were very close to or above book limits. In addition, we lost some basement storage due to going to a side radiator, but we feel we more than gained it back in inside storage and utility of how the space was laid out. We also find the turning is easier with the tag dumped, although you need to stay aware of the large overhang and overturn you get when making a max effort turn.

Finally, the additional storage room for something that big can be a determinant for some folks. We had to push one bay of our storage barn out 6'.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think you can make too big a mistake as long as you go slow enough and carefully enough to properly check out your concerns.

A lot of people have 45' coaches, and absolutely love them. Of course, the first thing to love would be the tag axle.

Possibly you need to extensively look through a few, and actually drive one or two. I think that will help you to make a decision.

We checked out a 42' coach, and walked away without a test drive. We felt that we weren't ready for that length of coach, at least at that time. Maybe sometime in the future.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
I am seriously looking for a new MH and keep finding myself drawn to the 45 footers, mostly '06 / '07 vintage. There must be some drawbacks besides the obvious, but with 40' having been my largest, and 34'-36' more often over the last 45 years, I would hate to make a mistake because I overlooked something I should have considered.

Any thoughts for me before taking this plunge?
Yeah, if you don't like it I'll trade you for my 38'er.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

No regrets.....we love our 45'er. BUT, 42's & 43's are nice too! For us that extra footage was more closets and basement storage. The very big deal for us is the TAG when pulling Mr. Toad.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
No problems, use due diligence in your purchase. You'll soon get over the "is this too big" and really enjoy the ride, room, and style.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

I really appreciate all the feedback. However you do realize that you are spending my money in fistfuls with all these positive comments. Don't know whether I like you guys or not.

StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
I really appreciate all the feedback. However you do realize that you are spending my money in fistfuls with all these positive comments.
Then our job is done here.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #11

I love my 45-footer and have been from AK to FL. Don't rule out an older Prevost conversion. Don't worry about seemingly high mileage as these are million mile chassis. Prevost-stuff.com is a good place to find them.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

StuartT
The only drawback for me would be the number of state and federal parks that do not have sites big enough for such a rig--for instance along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just finding a site sufficiently level for our 38 footer when at our favorite state park in the mountains of SW Virginia can be difficult. Jacked up our coach once and won't do it again. If you never had problems with this in your 40 footer, then it's not an issue for you. Might suggest a Monaco product in your listed vintage years--they made some mighty fine coaches, especially the semi-monocoque chassis in the Dynasty and above. That includes Holiday Ramblers and Beaver/Safari, too. We are excited for you.
Frank W. 09 Cayman 38SBD
Lake City, Florida
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Only sorry you didn't buy one sooner!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I'll bet you'll be happy you bought a 45' a lot more than you will regret buying it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote