Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Exclamation Will not start !

We have a 2000 HR Endeavor and can not get our RV to crank. We got new batteries and this didn't help. Can't get generator to start and even plugging into a 50 AMP outlet....nothing! Is there some kind of fuse or something thats bad? We are totally lost as to what to do.

Thx

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

Have you checked the inline fuse on battery wires. Do you have a engine battery disconnect.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, so many possibilities. When you put in the batteries did you turn off the switch in the battery compartment? There are 2 round dials inside the battery compartment. One on each side wall. Make sure they are both on.
Do you have radio? Interior lights? Horn? How long has it been since you drove it.

I have the same unit 2000 HR Endeavor 40ft dp
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same, right now it cranks but wont fire, just died in driveway while idling! Yours does sound like battery related, need more to go on like mentioned above!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Thx for the suggestions. This will give us a starting point. As you can tell we are clueless about what to try. We've been lucky and not had any kind of problems until now.
Its not been driven in about 3 months due to the not starting and instead of waiting on the hubby to try and figure it out, so I am taking the bull by the horns and doing it myself! lol
Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Good for you, get in there and learn! lol If its been sitting for three months batteries could be dead, if you have no power at all without plugging in and battery switches in on position then most likely they are drained.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

We did put new batteries in and that didn't help at all. Well i guess i will jump in and see if I can figure this thing out because I am ready to go camping !!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just make sure while jumping it you don't crank too long, and let the starter cool down after 3 attempts. No sense running up another repair bill.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judabug63 View Post
We did put new batteries in and that didn't help at all. Well i guess i will jump in and see if I can figure this thing out because I am ready to go camping !!

When did you put in new batteries and who did it? Are you sure they are connected correctly? Do you have a multimeter to measure the batteries' voltages?

Normally when installing new batteries, the person turns off the battery disconnect switch (the switch on the side of the battery compartment that was mentioned previously) and you have to make sure that it was turned back on.

You definitely have a battery problem. Either they are not connected correctly or they are turned off or you have a bad (loose) connection on one of the cables..... I have heard of new batteries being bad from the start....but that's very rare.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
You said that the batteries were replaced. Did you mean the coach/house batteries which there are at least two or did you mean the engine battery for the MH engine??? If you had new batteries installed then you drove it home. So it did start after the new (whatever batteries were replaced).

Now you're home and it won't crank. That power source starts with the one coach/engine battery under the hood. Measure that voltage at that battery and it should read 12.3 to 12.6 DC volts. If it does not then put a charger on it for at least 12-24 hours. Also measure the voltage at the battery while it is charging. Maybe your battery charger is bad. It should read about 13.6 volts. That was the problem the last time I answered an op's electrical questions.

After charging do you have interior lights??? Do you have headlights?? Do you have dash lights?? If these answers are NO then your charged coach/engine battery is not really connected to the engine.

Solve the charging problems first. These electrical problems have to be diagnosed in a step by step fashion. You can't jump to conclusions or you will start replacing things that are not bad.

TeJay
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
judabug63

If you are sure the chassis battery(ies) are charged and the disconnect switch is not turned off and when you turn the key NOTHING happens, I would first try moving the shift selector into drive, then into reverse and then make sure it is in neutral .

Your problem might be a sensitive or failing neutral position switch.

Hope this helps.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrvers View Post
judabug63

If you are sure the chassis battery(ies) are charged and the disconnect switch is not turned off and when you turn the key NOTHING happens, I would first try moving the shift selector into drive, then into reverse and then make sure it is in neutral .

Your problem might be a sensitive or failing neutral position switch.

Hope this helps.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z

There is no shifter on this rig, it's a Alison electronic pad. If there is no power at all it would light up to even show what gear it's in.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
That should be " wouldn't light up"!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #14

First thing, get a meter and check the voltage at the engine battery terminals. If no or very low voltage there, you have found your problem. If you have good voltage at the battery, move inward checking connections and fuses until you locate the disconnect of power. Total power lose is generally not that hard to isolate and find. However, you do need a basic knowledge of how to use a voltage meter and the 12 volt negative ground automotive electrical system.. ( just basic knowledge). If you have no clue, ask someone else to look at it.

Randy W