Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #15

I likely will go back to a 5th wheel, although not a toy hauler like I had before.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
i went form a class A to a class 8. i will never go back to a class A
from your picture profile, that thing is enormous. It must have endless space. Is it legal in most states? California is 45' limit.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
B+ to A

We just moved from a B+ (24') to a class A 31'. I could think about going to a smaller A ... or a larger B+ but...

The A gives you that 100" HD more than 1040P Nature Screen that cannot be beat. There is no IMAX that can beat a Class A when you are enjoying some of the beauty of this nation.

A Class C with the bunk over the windshield is verboten for us.

Next one has to have a larger shower! Other than that... the A is pretty good.

FWIW
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I can see us going back to a 5er. It will depend upon the circumstances in the future. Once the travel is done and we have decided on a more permanent location having a Class A may not be practical.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #19

We went from a class A gasser, to a camper, back to a class A DP. I do not see going to anything different, other than possibly a larger rig than our current 36'. We are retired and still relatively young at 58/55, and have no plans to full time. We usually head out for no longer than a month at a time.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On third Class A, each one gets bigger and of course more expensive. Oh, for the conveniences, amenities and short setup breakdown times. But never say never...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We traded our 34’ Class A in June for a 42’ 5th Wheel with a mid bunk house. We love the more homelike feel.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #22

We have a 26' class A and love it.Its just the two of us. What's really nice is I can make a U turn on my street. No problem.
edroe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #23

Will you ever have anything other than a Class A?

Just for conversation, I wonder if the question is too broad. Maybe refine it to ask if you would ever have a different type RV in your same price/size category?. Moving between different categories indicates just that; It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Example; the popular claim about the benefits from changing from a gas class A to a diesel pusher. In most cases this not an equal change but a move to a different category (if both are the same year, the DP is more expensive. If the cost is the same, the DP will be considerably older or the gasser newer).

I'm not bashing "Upgrades", the forum is full of people posting how happy they were to do theirs. I'm just offering a different way to address the original posters question. Maybe a category list would look like this?

Small gas Class A vs:
Sprinter-based Class C or equivalent

Larger gas Class A vs:
CLass C on a chopped van Ford chassis

Diesel Pusher Class A vs:
Super C on an International or Chevy Kodiak chassis

Prevost-based coach or equivalent vs:
Class 8 Toterhome

I didn't include trailers because I'm not sure the different size/style/prices fit in the motorhome categories mentioned above. Maybe someone wants to expand on this. Also, before someone beats me to it, there are examples of product overlap like the long gassers vs. shorter DP's.

Finally, our first motorhome was a Class C Midas Mini, then we went to three Class A's but all in the same general length (27, 26 & 28 Ft.) so our answer is that we like Class A but stayed in the same "Category".
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think what you own is all about how you RV. When we were younger, our RVing included 20 years of boat ownership. That required that we owned a motorized RV to tow the boat. Having two children that RV'd with us for 20 years also dictated what we owned. Over time, we moved into a DP and can't see having anything else. I would consider a fifth wheel, but can't back it up the hill into my side yard, so that's out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are currently going from a 40' class A to a condo. Ours was our winter home and never got much use in the summer. Last year our winter home CG was sold and has been bull dozed making way for a resort hotel. So this winter will be our first without the class A in 7 years and the first in 13 with no MH. For the price of GGs where we winter, real estate was a better investment.

All that said we will miss our little side stops on the way down and back. Leaving tomorrow (way late this year) and have hotel reservations. Not sure how we will like this. We both are thinking now for the short side stops a TT would work and be way less expense than the A. Then we can store it somewhere in Florida north of our condo for a reasonable rate and have stops on the way back north.

BTW (shameless plug) we had some work done on the class A this summer to make it nice and will be offering it in the spring for sale.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a