Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
dennis45,
Thanks for your replies and suggestion. I'm getting ready to drive over to Love's right now to see if I can talk to George or someone there. It is a Sunday so not sure if he will be there. Going to try. I'll post back with outcome. Appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Keith
They are primarily a Truck Tire shop but might have a mechanic on staff or at least be able to point you in the right direction. I was in there this spring getting my AC recharged and got a new set of tires and felt they were pretty good people.
Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"letsgoagain".....sorry to hear of your issues. It sounds like you have a u-joint going bad and you're seeing some movement of the u-joint within one of the caps.

I think "dennis45" made a good suggestion regarding the truck stop. At minimum, they should have some numbers for a mobile mechanic. At least Williams has some nice campgrounds.

I would highly recommend not driving it anymore than necessary until you get it fixed. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of torque on these short DP drive shafts. If it comes apart or shifts any further, you can very easily tear up the front of your Allison transmission.

If you can find a mobile mechanic, you might help your situation by getting some measurements (photo) of the u-joint to help a mechanic get you the correct part. Monaco will also be open tomorrow. If you provide them with your coach number, they may be able to identify the u-joint number for you. They might even be the fastest way to overnight ship one.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't got it fixed yet, try the shop/gas station across from Jack in the Box. They seem to be a busy shop and have seen them work on delivery type trucks. There's another shop that works on trucks east of town just before you go under the RR tracks. Not sure if the road is called route 66 at that point.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #18

Just wanted to post a follow up on the outcome of my original post. We just this afternoon arrived back home after our trip out West.
Turns out one of the u joints was severely worn and the yoke was damaged also. Feel very fortunate that we made it to our destination (Williams AZ) without the driveshaft dropping and doing further collateral damage. I think God was watching out for us.
i had the repair done at Belmont Truck Repair and Towing in Belmont AZ. Drove it the 18 miles from Williams to Belmont on Monday the 12th and repair was completed by midday Wed. The 14th. Had trouble finding the yoke and they had to overnight it from someplace on the East coast.
Yoke was right at 300 and total bill was $714.00. I felt this was a very reasonable charge and that they do very good work. I would definitely recommend them.
Made it home via Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Childress, Ft.Worth, Crater of Diamonds State Park Arkansas. No further issues.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you got lucky with a reasonable resolution to your issue. Thanks for posting back.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #20

Thank you the update and glad to hear you made out OK. Things like this have the potential to get real expensive vert quickly.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #21

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help that everyone who responded offered up.
I feel very thankful that we made it to our destination as I now know that it was a serious mechanical issue that could have been much worse quickly.
Now that I know what it was I think that it started when we left home but it was barely noticeable but once we had made it to Albuquerque it became more pronounced. I'm now more educated on these things and in the future will get it checked as soon as I feel anything unusual. Here's hoping there isn't anything more unusual.
Thanks again.
Keith
Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #22

Thanks for the follow up information. I'm happy to hear you resolved the issue and are satisfied. Safe Travels.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat