Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #15

I got caught in an unknown speed, strong cross wind in Texas with my 33' 5er. Thought I was going over. I slowed down and thankfully so did the winds in about 10 miles.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We are headed across Wyoming Friday; winds are forecast now to be 24 mph from the west which will be a tailwind. I realize that on a 300 mile trip it won't all be a tailwind.

Last time we drove across Wyoming we had gusts to 50+ one day and 65+ the next. We were in a car so it didn't effect us a great deal.
If on I-80 check 511 in WY. West from Cheyenne can be very dangerous.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If on I-80 check 511 in WY. West from Cheyenne can be very dangerous.
If on smart phone check:
wyoroad.info
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Great link! Thanks!
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
TGR

A little over a week ago I was coming back from a family members funeral. Had to travel over a 4 lane bridge with no shoulder. The wind was so strong that I drove right down the middle of both lanes. I got hit with a gust a couple of times which moved me. Glad I had the extra space. Also thankful for the understanding people behind me.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
When I was learning to fly a small plane crosswind landings were the scariest thing I had to master. The manual had a crosswind limit published, asking my instructor how that was determined. He replied it was based on the skill of the guys doing the test flights when the model was qualified. In other words base on your skill. I apply that same logic to driving in high winds. Is my trip mostly a head wind or tail wind, how much is cross wind, how far am I going, how am I feeling. Sustained over 30 mph is time to be asking questions.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
We drove in gusts to almost 40 mph today and the coach did well. A couple caught me by surprise but I was able to keep my lane.

Tomorrow is the trek across Wyoming with 24 mph winds forecast though mainly from behind.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We live in Pearce, Arizona and Yesterday we were on the road to the Tucson Pima County Fair with our 35' RV with Car attached. It was only 70 miles from home but we had 25 to 30 MPH with wind gusts to 40 and if you ever have come down Texas Canyon to Benson you know what i am talking about. We hit really bad wind around Marsh landing with cross winds. I was never so glad to get off at Hounton RD off I10 to the Fair as we are showing some of our Tractors.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We drove in gusts to almost 40 mph today and the coach did well. A couple caught me by surprise but I was able to keep my lane.

Tomorrow is the trek across Wyoming with 24 mph winds forecast though mainly from behind.
On I-80 you will have hills protecting you. As they periodically drop away wind gusts can come across with no protection. Becareful. WY has a law. If high profile or trailer travel not recommended & you have a problem you pay for cleanup. As a lighter note on your way across WY. Pretty reasonable fuel price in Rock Springs. West of Rock Springs approx exit 66 is Little America. You will be safe in their truck stop over night. Great stop over. 50 cent ice cream cones. Great burgers & beer. We never pass it by.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

On I-80 you will have hills protecting you. As they periodically drop away wind gusts can come across with no protection. Becareful. WY has a law. If high profile or trailer travel not recommended & you have a problem you pay for cleanup. As a lighter note on your way across WY. Pretty reasonable fuel price in Rock Springs. West of Rock Springs approx exit 66 is Little America. You will be safe in their truck stop over night. Great stop over. 50 cent ice cream cones. Great burgers & beer. We never pass it by.
I checked I-80 & they have some closed due to winter condx west of Cheyenne. Some accidents.This is a very dangerous area with many semi trucks blown over during windy condx. Just heed all cautions.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #25

PHAYS, thanks for the website! I have it in my favorites, I have often wondered about being able to see what the winds are, this is perfect!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
PHAYS, thanks for the website! I have it in my favorites, I have often wondered about being able to see what the winds are, this is perfect!
If you look at the map now that portion of I-80 that is red & closed is the most dangerous part of the entire highway across WY.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #27

Tell me about the high winds on I 80 I'm setting in WY. waiting for it to die down right noe and have been here for 3 days.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmovieman View Post
Tell me about the high winds on I 80 I'm setting in WY. waiting for it to die down right noe and have been here for 3 days.
chck out:

wyoroad.info

You can check map or routes. Roads will be coded green, yellow, orange, or red.