Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Wind shield and side window shades?

Two questions.
  • Has anyone made or bought a good shade for the windshield that blocks the sun but allows you to see out? I would prefer something that does not allow you to see in, and can attach to the current curtain track. I’m pretty handy with a sewing machine if I could find the right fabric.
  • Has anyone extended the driver and passenger side window shades? Mine are just too short the block the hot sun in the summer months.
Pictures would be very helpful.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally don't know of a material that will let you see out but not be able to see in. They make it so you can't see in during the daylight hours but not for night use. You would have to have a double set of curtains to achieve it I believe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

We were at a CG in Florida and saw some form of screen on the coach next to us and noticed we could not see in that evening. The next morning they were gone and I've looked ever since.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There are several options for privacy screening (i.e. seeing out during the day but outside would not be able to see in).

Do a search on MCD shades (inside) or MagneShades (outside) & you will find several threads discussing these products.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

We decided to have our windows tinted to provide some privacy. We also wanted to try to lower the heat transfer through the window. After some research we had a Huper Optik applied and are very pleased. We can see out through the side windows but weeing in is almost impossible. Additionally the heat transfer is virtually gone. We still get radiant heat but now we can enjoy the view and not worry about heating up the RV. They claim 98% Infra-Red Comfort Control & 70% Solar Energy Block and IMHO they are right. Automotive Window Film, Automotive Window Tint Film, Car Window Tinting FYI there is a company in Evans GA - Tint Masters LLC - that carries this product.
McCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All good sunscreen will let you see out but not let others see in...day time only! At night, with the lights on, the outsiders can see in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabago View Post
We decided to have our windows tinted to provide some privacy. We also wanted to try to lower the heat transfer through the window. After some research we had a Huper Optik applied and are very pleased. We can see out through the side windows but weeing in is almost impossible. Additionally the heat transfer is virtually gone. We still get radiant heat but now we can enjoy the view and not worry about heating up the RV. They claim 98% Infra-Red Comfort Control & 70% Solar Energy Block and IMHO they are right. Automotive Window Film, Automotive Window Tint Film, Car Window Tinting FYI there is a company in Evans GA - Tint Masters LLC - that carries this product.
did you have product put on your windshield?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sandi--this thread has some great info as well as a couple of DIY suggestions. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2012...de-113925.html
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Magna-shade is a good product. Easy to install, and no drilling. You can see one on my avatar. I think it's great. Check out their web site for more info
Bruce
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
did you have product put on your windshield?

We opted not to do that at this time. I may change my mind before we leave Arizona.
McCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #11

I bought Black sheers and fit to size on the side windows. A tension rod keeps them in place. I did it for sun protection while driving. They block the sun and I can pull them forward all the way and still see my mirrors during the day. Parked during the day you can't see in. You can see through them at nite with a lite inside the MH but I don't use them for privacy at nite.
P J Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Contact Shure Pro awnings in San Diago. They make custom screens like you are looking for. If you are down in the west coast -they will install. I had a set put on my Commander for $329.00. Windshield and both side windows.

Tags
window