RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #1

Wind speeds: Awning in? Slide outs?

At what wind speeds to you bring your awning in? What about slideouts?

We had a lively discussion on another page about awning tie downs. Our Georgetown has a Lippert electric awning that bounces violently in even the lightest winds so I added a set of Camco tie downs. We’ve been able to deploy it all week with the tie downs with up to 12 mph winds this week. Without the tie downs, we wouldn’t have been able to have it out at all.

Tomorrow it’s supposed to get really windy. The awning won’t be out, but I’m wondering about the slide out awnings? What wind speeds can they handle? Ours are a bit flappier than the smaller awnings on our little Navion.

Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #2

I personally don't believe there is a set "wind speed" that I use in order to bring my awnings in - because a sudden burst or gust of wind can wreak havoc on them.

If the wind gets the least bit gusty while mine are out - it's time to bring them in. I've seen one quick blast of wind completely wrap an awning up and over the top of an RV, and I don't want that happening to mine.

I've also seen when people had them tied down and sudden increase in wind speed either tears the awning up or violently shakes the entire RV.

My advice - just pay attention and if the wind gets blustery it's time to pull them in.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
At night time, if the winds are strong, I'll pull the slide in, basically so I can get some sleep without the topper flapping around all night.

I have a manual awning that I usually deploy in a half out mode. This makes it less susceptible to the wind ripping it off. However, more than one I've gotten up at 3 a.m. to retract the main and window awnings due to high winds.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I believe Monaco set the automatic retraction of the main awning at 11 mph.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #5

Slide toppers can take much more than an awning. That said, they are prone to getting ripped at the ends due to flapping. If possible pull them in if windy weather is coming, or you hear them making a lot of noise. As far as awnings, even tie downs don't guarantee they wont get ruined. We were at a park this summer where the people left for the day. It got windy while they were gone, and they came back to their awning ripped half off the trailer, and the arms a bent and tangled mess. They were upset to say the least. Probably a couple thousand dollar mistake. I personally wont leave the rv unattended with the awning out. It only takes a few minutes to put it in. For several thousand dollars, I can spend a lot of minutes. Cheers.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #6

As has been mentioned any unexpected gust can be a problem. I've had both of our large Paramount awnings out in mild 8-10 mph winds when without warning a gust picks them up and they start to retract. I've left them out at times and when I return one might be retracted. I would never leave manual awnings extended, tied down or not. They make a pretty good sail when the wind gets underneath. Depending on the angle of the wind, I might retract a slide out just to be safe. I have had to replace one topper because of a tear starting at one end.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have had to pay for my learning when it comes to awnings. Big ( manual awning ) ripped off at 3:00 am in a down draft thunderstorm in the mountains. The weather predicted storm wouldn’t be there till 11:00 am the next morning. 2. Winds had been 20 -25 mph for two days coming into drivers side of coach. 5:00 am, wind direction change and a gust, tore the entire awning and frame off above the door.

We stay in the RGV in the winter, it seems to always be windy to strong winds. The slide toppers flutter and flap a lot. But you don’t want to spend days with the slides in. You can take 1” pvc pipe, and make what looks like a short saw horse and put under the slide topper on top of the slide. Easy to insert, no glue, take them apart and stow.
I have also seen folks throw a rope over the slide topper and anchor them to the ground.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I put the awning in before bedtime and if we leave. If we are home and it starts fluttering enough to make me check it's usually time to roll it up. I don't worry about the slide toppers. They can take a lot more abuse and if it isn't a severe storm they should be fine. Someday I will repair the animometer but I suspect I am more leary than the automatic setting.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

We were at Disney World two years ago whenever I leave my camper I always bring the awnings in I guess several people around us did not everybody went to the parks and came back and all the awnings were torn off the side of the campers I think we counted six in total
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
We had a lively discussion on another page about awning tie downs. Our Georgetown has a Lippert electric awning that bounces violently in even the lightest winds so I added a set of Camco tie downs. We’ve been able to deploy it all week with the tie downs with up to 12 mph winds this week. Without the tie downs, we wouldn’t have been able to have it out at all.
I'm guessing you have this awning? https://support.lci1.com/solera-power-awning

If so, the owner's manual at https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001369.pdf has a note on page about that.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AwningWarning.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	260136  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:

If so, the owner's manual at https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001369.pdf has a note on page about anchoring it.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AwningWarning.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	260137  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

If so, the owner's manual at https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001369.pdf has a note on page about anchoring it.

Ray

We do and I did read that. I find it hard to believe that bouncing violently and loudly in 5 mph wind is “normal”. If so it’s a fairly poor design. Ultimately I’m just happy to have an awning that we can actually get some shade from.
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #13

In sailing, reducing sail in strong winds is called "reefing". There's an old saying that "If you're wondering if you should reef, you should". I apply the same thinking to awnings.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
We do and I did read that. I find it hard to believe that bouncing violently and loudly in 5 mph wind is “normal”. If so it’s a fairly poor design. Ultimately I’m just happy to have an awning that we can actually get some shade from.
We had our two out yesterday in a 7 MPH wind (per Alexa) and it barely fluttered. One is 17' but mostly over a slide. The other is 12' and not over anything. The trees were blowing around but not terribly. Perhaps the difference is because the long front awning mostly has an obstruction underneath it.

Apparently our mileages are varied.

Ray

Tags
awning, slide, slide out, wind