Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wind, Wind, forever Wind .....

We are nearing our 5th month in Arizona and are trying to understand how to deal with the wind.

Our awning is now warped a bit to where it will not close easily. The two metal arms (each end) are curved a bit from the wind pressure and I have to push them to get them back all the way. I try to extend the awning in the mornings with less wind to block the sun on the passenger side of the coach. Around noon I close it about 80% where it appears to be stronger and let it stand until the sun goes over the top. How do you handle wind with your awning?

Next is the door. We like to keep it open but I am worried that the wind pressure on it will eventually pull the hinges loose. Its starting to have a creaking noise when the gusts of wind hit it. Any ideas on the keeping the door open in the wind?

Relentless... that is all I can say about the wind here. Just relentless.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

I never roll out the awning if there is a chance of moderate + winds. When we leave the rig for a few hours I always roll in the awning if there is any risk if T-storms. It's just too risky and yes I have seen one wrap itself around the roof of a travel trailer I had once....it was ugly.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

I hear you. We spent most of last winter at Vista Del Sol RV park in Bullhead City AZ. Every day the wind was blowing and strong 30-50 mph. Didn't dare put the awning out or latch back the door. Not going back there this winter.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

Has the material slide one way or the other? I winter there, where the wind always blows, but I have awning and deflappers poles......my door has a gas shock on it, but I still use a ratchet straps....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I never roll out the awning if there is a chance of moderate + winds. When we leave the rig for a few hours I always roll in the awning if there is any risk if T-storms. It's just too risky and yes I have seen one wrap itself around the roof of a travel trailer I had once....it was ugly.
Same for me
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethomas View Post
We are nearing our 5th month in Arizona and are trying to understand how to deal with the wind.

Our awning is now warped a bit to where it will not close easily. The two metal arms (each end) are curved a bit from the wind pressure and I have to push them to get them back all the way. I try to extend the awning in the mornings with less wind to block the sun on the passenger side of the coach. Around noon I close it about 80% where it appears to be stronger and let it stand until the sun goes over the top. How do you handle wind with your awning?

Next is the door. We like to keep it open but I am worried that the wind pressure on it will eventually pull the hinges loose. Its starting to have a creaking noise when the gusts of wind hit it. Any ideas on the keeping the door open in the wind?

Relentless... that is all I can say about the wind here. Just relentless.
You ain't seen nothin' yet. lol Wait til monsoon season arrives.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If there is a chance of high winds I keep the awnings in. The first year I had my MH we were camped in Maryland, weather was calm. Then strong gusts struck from out of nowhere. Before I could get to the awning switch the gusts tore the awnings' arms off the side of the coach. It was a major hassle trying to get the rig home. Insurance covered the claim. But I won't take the chance with wind again.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Well,
After moving from San Diego and living here in Lake Havasu City AZ now for just over 4 years, I can say that the wind can, at times, be a pain in the petoot. Different sections of the desert and, even the southwest, can get different amounts of wind, at different times. We've had times when it's been dead calm for days on end WISHING we'd have at least some breeze. Then there's the times when leaves and flowers, (mainly Bougainvillea) from the other end of the city end up in OUR POOL. It is what it is. Desert is desert.

As for awnings and the wind, yep, the two don't play well together. So far, the auto-retract function on our big awning has worked flawlessly in situations where we were out and about and the awning was left out. We came back to the coach and, it was in. So, it's definitely nice to have the awning out to acquire shade but, the wind can sure play its game.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

We have been full-timing in Flagstaff for a while. This spring has been even more windy than normal.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #10

We just lost an awning on a DP to a dust devil at the RV show yesterday. Some Vistas have a bar with the ends bent 90 degrees that fit into a fitting both on the door and on the side of the coach. Some Vistas have nothing to hold the door open. There are latches that you can install to hold the door open.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a manual awning.

Generally, I pull it in for high winds. But I learned another trick when I deploy it so its only rolled out about 2/3s of its normal fully deployed length.:

I unroll it all the way, then slide the two top end rails to their normal top position, I leave the locking knob lose. I then roll the awning back in as far as it will go. It rolls up about three or feet, and can't roll any more because of the top end rail pieces.

The awning is now rolled out about 1/2 to 2/3rds its normal length..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post

X2. We get very little use out of our awnings and don't leave the door open on windy days.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Awnings...........eeerrrrrrr. I love them and hate them. Have had two unplanned super storms, in the middle of the night destroy them.
The large awning was out, the 10:00 pm weather said thunderstorms tomorrow about noon, wife said you better roll up the awning. Oh, I’ll do it in the morning ( already in my PJs ) About 3:00 am a horrible bang, broke two clamps on bottom locks, and ripped the rear top mount and bent the quarter round to the roof. Not fun fighting it in the heavy wind and cold rain, in the middle of the night.
This spring wind had been moderate for a couple of days, coming in to the rig front left. Had not deployed the large awning. But had some rain, so did have the small awning ver the door open. It was shielded by the rig. About 5:00 am a wind shear event occurred. Wind gust changed 180 degrees, blew the awning off the rail completely.

I’ve decided, I think I’ll leave the door awning closed...period. And if I put out the big awning, never leave it un attended, or go to bed with it out.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #14

Works for me.....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170311_150044410.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	203664
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote