Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I know they will replace a windshield tint strip at the top but was unsure if they would cover an entire windshield tinting as I don't know anything about windshield tinting legalities. They covered a 12" strip on my windshield when I replaced it.

My camper has tinted windows with dual pane and I see no problems after 12 years.
I agree it may be a safety issue as it does impede vision at night and obviously if it is illegal in your state ,a safety conscientious insurance company would not want to replace completely tinted windshield glass. I feel pretty sure they would replace any tint on damaged side glass.

Are they limited to 12 inch across the top? Most class A's have a huge vertical viewing area. I AM 6'2" and think I could have at least a 20 inch strip across the top and it would not impede my vision. In direct sun light early or late in the day, with such huge windshields, if you are headed directly into it also really can impede vision with no tint even with a baseball cap and deep tint sun glasses. I have had adjustable power shades that help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
I had been told this, but installed the hurricane film tint on my entire FL home that has dual pane Anderson windows. It made a big difference in heat and was easy to tell as 2nd floor AC did not have to work nearly as hard after the house was tinted. It has been 10+ years and I see no evidence of any issues with fogging. I have also had installed on dual pane RV windows and got the same favorable results with no fogging. I assume it has happened so must be a required disclaimer
Sky Pilot
Was the glass in your RV windows tinted before you installed the hurricane film tint?
MY double pane RV windows are made with "tinted glass".
I'm not sure if adding a "tint film" to "double pane tinted glass" is a good thing??
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #17

Question for the OP, what is the $ amount of a class a motorhome? Next question is how many peices or seams? Surely it can't be installed in one peice. Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
Call me cheap, but I just bought a roll of reflectix insulation ($40) and cut pieces for each of the windows in my bedroom, bath, windshield and large drivers window. Amazing how it helps keep the temperatures down when set up in a park. ...
CHEAP! LOL J/K

It is probably a little bit of apples and oranges but maybe not so much. In other threads there is much discussion on windshield covers for when parked. Clearly, outside covers are much better than anything you mount inside the windshield and other coach windows because the reflect heat before it even gets to the outer glass surface. Most systems for inside the coach can leak a lot of warm air into the coach. These are better than nothing and in most cases significantly so if properly done.

I still wonder about how they would be any worse than your solution that reflects heat back into double paned glass. Perhaps they are more efficient and thus reflect a significantly greater amount of heat into the area between the window panes? I've read in other threads concerns that using reflective materials inside windshields can cause failures similar to what is of concern with these window film products.

A quick google on TINTED films indicates that with TINTED film there is a higher risk of problems with tint that it too dark. SEE THIS

This doesn't directly address the ceramic window treatments which normally have an added tinting layer added to them to provide the actual tinting affect. Here is what 3M says about their products.

Do 3M Window Films cause glass to break?

The application of 3M Window Films will increase the temperature of your sunlit glass which will increase the stress on the glass edges. The quality of those glass edges and several other factors (external shading, interior shading, glass history, type of film, size/shape of glass, indoor/outdoor temperature) all contribute to the potential risk of glass breakage.

3M's forty plus years of experience with applying 3M Window Films to different types of glass enables us to make proper film/glass recommendations and minimize the potential for glass breakage. In addition, we support these recommendations with our 60-month glass breakage warranty against thermal shock fracture. Should the glass break within 60-months of application, 3M; will replace the glass (maximum $500.00), and the dealer will replace the film.

Do 3M Window Films cause seal failure when applied to insulated (double-pane) windows?

No, 3M Window Films do not cause seal failure. We've been applying 3M Window Films to insulated windows for many years with several millions of square feet of film applied to date.

When recommended films are applied to the inside pane of an insulated glass unit, there will be some absorption (except with clear safety films) of the sun's energy, which will increase the temperature of the glass pane. Some of this heat will transmit to the airspace, slightly raising the airspace temperature. However, even a 20 F degree increase (unusual for most films) will result in a less than 3% change in air pressure, whereas properly made units are designed and tested to withstand 22% changes in air pressure.

Risk of seal failure is greatly determined by the quality of workmanship and the quality of the materials that go into building the insulated glass units. The best guard against seal failure is to purchase well-made units from reputable window manufacturers that have solid experience and histories with insulated units.

After doing this quick Google search I am less inclined to use window film of any kind. The cost to benefit comparisons with the potential risks are a little troubling to me.

YMMV
Old 06-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Question for the OP, what is the $ amount of a class a motorhome? Next question is how many peices or seams? Surely it can't be installed in one peice. Thanks
I'm not sure on cost. I know it comes in up to 60" rolls but don't yet have a mh to measure window height on. The 70% on my windshield is barely perceptible, but I wouldn't want anything darker. The 3m crystalline doesn't add glare at night either from lights.

In the f150 the tint is just enough that I rarely wear sunglasses unless the sun is directly in my eyes.

The only caveat with the film is polarized sun glasses do result in some weird distortions at times if the film wasn't installed perfectly straight off the roll. It's way less distracting than regular tint with polarized glasses though.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #20

I pull the shades and crank up the A/C. I pay for a few electrons.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I pull the shades and crank up the A/C. I pay for a few electrons.
SILLY GUY! LOL

From my perspective and a user of outside window covers for all cockpit windows I'm having some difficulty in justifying the expense of window films. If I did use them it would only be on the 3 large windows in the living room and 1 in the bedroom that aren't covered.

I did send an email to 3M asking them if they could specifically comment on adding ceramic window film to insulated glass that is already tinted. Waiting to see what they say.

For me there are some budget issues but in reality I probably wouldn't see a pay back. However, if they do work as well or nearly so as my window covers over the cockpit, the COMFORT value makes up for that kind of discrepancy. I do know that as I sit in my recliner next to the wall that as the sun hits that side of the coach I can feel some heat coming through the window next to me. Even with shades down it does decrease my comfort factor.

YMMV!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #22

I'm with you, Don. Look forward to your query

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
Iv'e had 3m Limo tint on my (single Pane) windows for the last 14 years, Cooler inside, Can't seen in and helps keeping it cooler inside !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #24
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I saw this video and it influenced my opinion a lot!
2012 Dodge Durango RT
BillJump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #25
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill, very very interesting. Thanks for the video. I'm re-evaluating, again.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Sky Pilot
Was the glass in your RV windows tinted before you installed the hurricane film tint?
MY double pane RV windows are made with "tinted glass".
I'm not sure if adding a "tint film" to "double pane tinted glass" is a good thing??
Mel
'96 Safari
To address that, after I had bought a home and after the 8 Hurricanes that started hitting FL in 04-05 I decided to add the 3M tinted Hurricane/Security film. It addition, my 2nd story AC ran almost solid in the day time since the house was open from first to 2nd floor. The Installer pointed out that my Windows were the top of the line Anderson Windows with dual pane, tinted with some gas in between panes so were among the most efficient windows available at the time. The house had a lot of windows that faced the sun in the a.m. and p.m., after the tint the upstairs AC ran less than half of the time and my electric bill averaged at least $1200 per year less, the tint cost about $3600, so in ten years I have far more than broken even. In addition, I saved money on the AC unit itself. I have not had to replace the upstairs AC which would have worn out by now by being overworked.

In my last RV that I tinted, it was an almost new Safari Trek, the largest they ever made (32 ft approx.) but only came with one roof AC. It had good dual pane windows and good shades. When hot, it was very hard to cool down and a couple of times, I would have to run the dash AC with the roof unit to get it cooled down when I parked. Adding 3M window tint to it also made a very noticeable difference and kept it cool with a single roof air. In addition, the tint protects your shades when stored and you can leave the shades up in the day time with privacy and much more visibility and openness than leaving the day shades drawn.

I recently bought a new used coach with 2 roof air but plan on tinting to protect the interior as well as have daytime visibility outside with privacy.

Tags
heat, window