Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Window Film to control heat?

Has anyone ever tried the solar heat control tint on their windshields from 3M - Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US or https://www.llumar.com/choose-a-prod...r-window-films ?

I have 3M Crystalline on my F150 and it made a world of difference. You can barely tell there is any tint with the 70% and I'm sure the 90% is all but invisible.

Obviously registering your MH in some states will not make this possible, but I've been driving for 2 years with the 70% on the windshield and 50% on the front side and it is a night and day difference with the solar heat coming in.

Just thought I'd ask.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I have the 90% Limo Tint all the way around and a 12 in strip across the windshield- works great !

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't tried it, but it looks very interesting. A little pricy, but maybe just do the windshields and two front windows.

I'm thinking the 70 or 90

john

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

I have been interested in this product as well. I was talking to a window tint guy about tinting the windows on my RV. He said he would never tint the windows because the glass on the house windows were not DOT approved windows like in a car. I thought glass was glass. I want more info. It is HOT here in PHX.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

I have eleven windows tinted with Ceramic tinting, huge heat reduction. Limo tint in top of windshield for eyes. The Ceramic is worth the $ to me, this our second mh with it.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It was pricey to do the windshield and side windows in my F150 in the Cincinnati area. $650 if I recall. You might have better luck in areas with competition like AZ/TX/FL.

I'll reiterate, it made a HUGE difference in the F150 with 70 in the windshield and 50 on the sides.

I'm surprised no one has tried this yet on their MH with the 3M Crystalline. Maybe it would be way too expensive.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A friend has it on their Allegro Bus windshield & thinks it's great. Other than cost the only downside is they have many rock chips filled and don't want to replace the windshield due to the cost of replacing the film. I don't know how an insurance company would treat it.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

When I talked about having this done, I was told it was a really bad plan to install it on dual pane glass of any kind - even in sticks and bricks. The reason was that it overheated the seals, which eventually leads to fogging between the panes.

The windshield plan sounds good.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #9

I put 95% residential tint on all of the coach windows and top of driver's side. Put legal auto tint on passenger window in the entry door. Used the Gila brand. Our older coach does not have dual pane, so wasn't an issue. I think it has made a significant difference in heat gain. And, it does not affect the view outside, except at night.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call me cheap, but I just bought a roll of reflectix insulation ($40) and cut pieces for each of the windows in my bedroom, bath, windshield and large drivers window. Amazing how it helps keep the temperatures down when set up in a park. Also blocks light at night. Obviously, you can't drive with it in the windshield and drivers window but we did leave the bed/bath pieces in place while driving thru TN, GA, SC, NC two weeks ago during temps of high nineties and we stayed cool
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
When I talked about having this done, I was told it was a really bad plan to install it on dual pane glass of any kind - even in sticks and bricks. The reason was that it overheated the seals, which eventually leads to fogging between the panes.
X 2!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

I had been told this, but installed the hurricane film tint on my entire FL home that has dual pane Anderson windows. It made a big difference in heat and was easy to tell as 2nd floor AC did not have to work nearly as hard after the house was tinted. It has been 10+ years and I see no evidence of any issues with fogging. I have also had installed on dual pane RV windows and got the same favorable results with no fogging. I assume it has happened so must be a required disclaimer

On the RV's I did all windows but only the strip across the windshield. The issue that I see with windshield tint is that it definitely makes it harder to see out at night. I can tell that by the side glass when looking out the side glass at an intersection. If a car is approaching around dusk with no lights on, it is very hard to see it.

On the Insurance question about replacing tint when windshield is replaced. State Farm replaces any tint on car windows when they are replaced, usually the glass shops have a tint company they work with. State Farm writes a car policy on Motorhomes, so assume they would replace the RV windshield plus the tint.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
On the Insurance question about replacing tint when windshield is replaced. State Farm replaces any tint on car windows when they are replaced, usually the glass shops have a tint company they work with. State Farm writes a car policy on Motorhomes, so assume they would replace the RV windshield plus the tint.
I know they will replace a windshield tint strip at the top but was unsure if they would cover an entire windshield tinting as I don't know anything about windshield tinting legalities. They covered a 12" strip on my windshield when I replaced it.

My camper has tinted windows with dual pane and I see no problems after 12 years.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If your windows are double paned, you need to find a company that uses appropriate tint for double paned windows. It won't be a company that tints car windows, check those that do house windows.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, window