RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Window seal - Winne

My winne needs seal on a few of the windows (see below). Winne doesn't have the windows in their seal spec sheet, which is weird. What do you recommend (07, Adventurer)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	143869   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	143870  

Citti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Any ideas?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking this is the butyl tape that is under the window that is squeezing out over time. I think the only thing to do is take the window out and replace the tape over time. I'm hoping someone who really knows this will add their comments. It really takes away from the looks when it does this, and there is no easy way to clean it up. I don't think adding sealant to the side of the window is the solution.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

I have looked at all the sealant call outs, and they are only for the roof area, as you said. Looking at the window installation - looks like the window is installed with only butyl tape/ribbon as a seal - this maybe what you are seeing (can't tell from the photo). May want to contact Winnebago for a definitive answer. I am sure any non- silicon RTV sealant should work - just a matter of color. Do you have any leakage around the window?
Good Luck - Russ
Old 11-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SubGuy View Post
I have looked at all the sealant call outs, and they are only for the roof area, as you said. Looking at the window installation - looks like the window is installed with only butyl tape/ribbon as a seal - this maybe what you are seeing (can't tell from the photo). May want to contact Winnebago for a definitive answer. I am sure any non- silicon RTV sealant should work - just a matter of color. Do you have any leakage around the window?
Good Luck - Russ

No leakage, was just thing "preventative".
Old 11-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #6
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

You are correct. There is nothing on the callout sheet for this item. I just got through doing all my windows, door and rear ladder mounts that were in the exact condition as yours and asked the same question about a month ago so here is the conclusion and the procedure that I used and it worked great.

1) Buy some plastic razor blades. They come in different hardness/stiffness. I used the yellow ones. Can get on Amazon.

2) Buy an 2 empty spray bottles where they sell mops & household cleaning supplies @ Home Depot an fill one with mineral spirits (MS) & the other with regular alcohol (RA) bought at Walgreens

3) Spray some of the mineral spirits around that old gooey stuff around the windows with MS and that softens that old material. Then use the razor blade to cut and remove old material. Then use a toothbrush & MS to clean down in the molding groove. Wipe clean with more MS and rag. After the window is entirely clean of the old gooey stuff, spray RA all round the window edge to clean and remove any residue and film of MS.

4) Then...using blue painters tape—also @ Home Depot—tape around the entire inside of the black window molding—just barely to the edge. Then tape around the entire outside of the window—on the fiberglass—with more tape leaving around a 1/4" gap between the edge of the window molding and the fiberglass. Then using a caulk gun & Clear Proflex caulking, place a small bead of Proflex around the entire window. Wet your finger with a little MS and gently smooth out the caulking bead. Let the Proflex firm up just a little bit for an hour or two, then remove the tape on both sides before the caulking completely hardens. This will a produce a nice clean line of Clear Proflex and all that black goo is gone. Then let it fully cure. Time to do each window approx. 30-45 minutes.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
You are correct. There is nothing on the callout sheet for this item. I just got through doing all my windows, door and rear ladder mounts that were in the exact condition as yours and asked the same question about a month ago so here is the conclusion and the procedure that I used and it worked great.

1) Buy some plastic razor blades. They come in different hardness/stiffness. I used the yellow ones. Can get on Amazon.

2) Buy an 2 empty spray bottles where they sell mops & household cleaning supplies @ Home Depot an fill one with mineral spirits (MS) & the other with regular alcohol (RA) bought at Walgreens

3) Spray some of the mineral spirits around that old gooey stuff around the windows with MS and that softens that old material. Then use the razor blade to cut and remove old material. Then use a toothbrush & MS to clean down in the molding groove. Wipe clean with more MS and rag. After the window is entirely clean of the old gooey stuff, spray RA all round the window edge to clean and remove any residue and film of MS.

4) Then...using blue painters tape—also @ Home Depot—tape around the entire inside of the black window molding—just barely to the edge. Then tape around the entire outside of the window—on the fiberglass—with more tape leaving around a 1/4" gap between the edge of the window molding and the fiberglass. Then using a caulk gun & Clear Proflex caulking, place a small bead of Proflex around the entire window. Wet your finger with a little MS and gently smooth out the caulking bead. Let the Proflex firm up just a little bit for an hour or two, then remove the tape on both sides before the caulking completely hardens. This will a produce a nice clean line of Clear Proflex and all that black goo is gone. Then let it fully cure. Time to do each window approx. 30-45 minutes.
Wow, thank you! Did you buy this https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Elas...flex+caulking?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citti34 View Post
No. Not sure if what you posted is the same thing but what I bought was this.
Proflex RV sealants on Sale at PPL - PPL Motor Homes
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Thank you!

Tags
seal, window