Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #15

We have had our windows tinted on four different coaches beginning in 1995. All with double pane windows. Haven't had a problem yet. One of the first things we do when we trade is have the windows tinted. The last two, the tinting co. suggested Ceramic tinting and we have liked it so far. Upper windshield and upper side windows in front area are "limo" tinting. 95% light reduction and we like it also. Hope this helps.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My DW has tinted all our windows with the dark limo tint a few years ago, we also have the double paned windows, no problem yet. We live in LA and its hot as a fire cracker down here..
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #17

While reading this thread, the following ad link popped up. May be interesting.

Suction Held Solar Shade Screen Replaces Window Film/Tinting
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #18

I tinted the inside of all the windows in my coach about 8 years ago........I used a reflective tape that contained copper............It made the outside of the windows look like mirrors in the daytime.......You could see through it at night if there was a light on or we had the big screen TV on......
Anyway, the tint worked great and kept the inside of the coach cooler than before....
Two years ago I started noticing fog in the driver's window and coach entry door...........
The tint fried the seals in these windows because they were thermopane glass.....
I had to have the driver's window and entry door glass re-glazed because the glass got so foggy that I couldn't see out of them while driving......
I haven't tinted these windows yet, but they say I can re-tint them using the same copper based film IF I put the film on the outside of the windows.....
I'll probably keep them clear because the tint has a tendency to reflect my image as I look out the entry door (Looks like a mirror from insiide).........You can see outside, but have to sort of look through your own mirror image and that's not too safe......

Tinting the rest of the windows if fine, but I would avoid doing the driver's window and entry door.....

John
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #19

I had mine tinted with limo (5%) for a year now. The windows look perfect, and it was 121 a few weeks ago here in Phoenix.

It really cuts down on the interior heat!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are thinking about tinting also. My dad suggested getting solar screens like he had on his house. Any body heard of solar screen applications in RVs?
dangofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put the UV tinting (I think it's 85% UV) on my vehicle. It made a huge difference in the heat, I can tell you!! It is well worth the extra few dollars for it.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #22

1st post howdy
i went to a place that does vehicle wraps , advertising , got them to install un printed white perforated 50/50 film on the 2 long glasses on my yukon xl you cannot see in . but you can see out .the difference is def noticable when you touch the white window and the factory tint on the back door glass . i like it . i don't think it would work on windows that move , but ,i will put on the windows i don't use . for sure the patio door
flatboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
There are two types of tint...one for motor vehicles, one for houses. The auto tint will not work on double paned windows, it retains heat and will crack the window. The residential tint is okay for double paned RV windows because it reflects the heat...it is put on the inside of the glass.

Be SURE to check with the company who will install your tint that they have the correct material. The company who does my cars had no clue they could not do the MH until I asked them to call the manufacturer of the tint...who told them not to do it.
When I did my stick house double pane windows the tint specifically said NOT to put it on the inside of of the double pane windows, so I didn't, then the neighbors kid shot a bb gun at a bird, but my windows were the backstop!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy545 View Post
You can see outside, but have to sort of look through your own mirror image and that's not too safe......

Tinting the rest of the windows if fine, but I would avoid doing the driver's window and entry door.....

John
Exactly why the law here won't allow tint on any window the driver has to look through and there is no reciprocity on it. You come into WA you have to comply with the laws here BUT I have yet to hear about anyone being stopped or ticketed for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
What are you all paying to have your coaches tinted. I just talked with a company here and they said it would be between $800 to $1500. They do several of the Nascar MH's. Does that seem like a good range??
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We had both side windows in the drivers compartment done [upper glass section] along with three large windows on the driver's side. $250.00. We didn't have to do the passenger side because the windows are very small. They used a non-reflective film on the inside. Happy trails, Joe & Mary
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #27

There are some good tints available that are guaranteed not to crack or peel etc even with the heat. I have had mine on this coach for six years and not a problem. In tint the darker the tint the lighter the percent number. In Oklahoma you cannot exceed 30% tint on the side windows by the driver and passenger. I would not want anything over 30% due to seeing at night on the side windows. I used 70% on all the other windows including the window above the driver. It does reduce the light in the coach some. It also almost makes it impossible for anyone looking into the coach to see anything, but the lights and items next to the lights at night. During the day you see reflection from the tint and very little of what is inside. I like the tint to help reflect the heat and for bright sunlight. I would do it again. I expended $900.00 on all windows except for the front windshield which did not get tint. You can put tint here in a border at the top of the windowshield, but we did not do that.

My tint is on the inside of the double pane windows with no problem. I would not want it on the outside of the coach. You would have to wash carefully or you would scratch the tint film. Hope this helps.
Whitofok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlogic View Post
Looking for some advise on widow tinting.... I did read on past forums that the double pane windows are bad for tinting due to the possibility of heat build up and cracking, but does that apply to interior or exterior tint application? We have (as most class a's do) Large driver and pass side windows and would like to tint the upper portions as well as our coaches side windows.... any tips or advise would help.... ohh and i am also looking into the state laws on how dark but just not sure if that also applies to rear side coach windows..... Thanks
Try here. www.tintlaws.com
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window