Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Window tinting

Looking for some advise on widow tinting.... I did read on past forums that the double pane windows are bad for tinting due to the possibility of heat build up and cracking, but does that apply to interior or exterior tint application? We have (as most class a's do) Large driver and pass side windows and would like to tint the upper portions as well as our coaches side windows.... any tips or advise would help.... ohh and i am also looking into the state laws on how dark but just not sure if that also applies to rear side coach windows..... Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only tip I can give is to check state laws on tinting of the windows beside the driver and front seat passanger... There may (or may not) be limits on those specific windows.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlogic View Post
Looking for some advise on widow tinting.... I did read on past forums that the double pane windows are bad for tinting due to the possibility of heat build up and cracking, but does that apply to interior or exterior tint application? We have (as most class a's do) Large driver and pass side windows and would like to tint the upper portions as well as our coaches side windows.... any tips or advise would help.... ohh and i am also looking into the state laws on how dark but just not sure if that also applies to rear side coach windows..... Thanks
We live in the Arizona desert and it gets over 100 here for many summer days. We hired a tinting company to put the film on our windows even though they had factory tint. Any reputable company will not put film where it is illegal. We had the large side windows tinted with film. In the drivers compartment they would only do the upper portion of the side windows to comply with the law. The tinted film helps a lot and the heat doesn't seem to cause any problems. After all, almost everyone in our community has tinted car windows with the same film and the only bad tint jobs that we have seen are the ones the owners tried to do themselves. The pros do this for a living.
Hope this helps. Our coach only has large windows on one side of the lounge, kitchen, bedroom and of course both sides of the driver's compartment. It was about $250. It was worth it. Oh yes, my windows are thermopane and the tint is on the inside. No problems in two hot summers.
Happy Trails, Joe & Mary
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
If completely tinting dual pane windows, apply the tint to the outside pane. If applied to the inside pane, enough heat could build up between the panes to crack the glass.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many folks have posted that they have tint on the inside of double pane windows with no problems.

Folks have posted warnings of window problems when doing this, but I don't know if we have seen any first hand reports of problems.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I believe you'll find the "problem tints" to be the mirror or reflective types. When mounted on the inside of a dual pane, incoming and reflected heat combine to cause the problems.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
If completely tinting dual pane windows, apply the tint to the outside pane. If applied to the inside pane, enough heat could build up between the panes to crack the glass.
I'm not sure this is the same as a dark window tint, I applied a privacy film to a bathroom window on one of my rental homes and the directions clearly stated to apply to the outside of a double pane window. Having said that, one of my tenants applied a medium tint on the inside a sliding glass door (double pane) a few years ago and there is no sign that it has affected the glass in any way.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #8

I don't know anything about tint on MH. But I did hear about a new type of tint yesterday. It's called Air 80 Blue and I think it is made by Llamar. I was told it works as good as dark tint but it is mostly clear. (a little blue tint to it). The truck I saw it on had it on the windshield.
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #9

Great thanks for all the good advise.... I will contact a tinting company today and see what they recommend as well and get a price quote.. it would really be nice to cut down on some of the afternoon sun heat while driving
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had our coach done last year. Was worth every penny! They tinted all the windows behind the driver compartment with 5% (limo) tint. We can see outside fine, and the inside of the coach stays a lot cooler. You can not see inside the side windows except at night when there is a light on inside the coach. The drivers windows and the entrance door was tinted with the darkest Texas law allows. I think it was 20% or something like that. It helped a lot, I have no trouble seeing while driving. I tried to get it darker, but he wouldn't do it, even when bribed by "tasty beverages" . LOL They would not put any tint on any part of the front windshield.

I had mine done in Saginaw (just North of Ft Worth),TX @ Xtreme Tint. He let me stay in the coach while it was being done. I also had all my wheels mirror polished and a complete hand wax done. I also had our previous toad tinted as well. I think the total bill was around $650.00.

Moving about this great country,
Kerry
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #11

Texas law says that anything below 35% on the front side windows (like driver's window) can earn you a ticket. For Texas State Inspections it would pass at 20% until recently when it was changed to 25%.
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrede View Post
I had mine done in Saginaw (just North of Ft Worth),TX @ Xtreme Tint. I also had all my wheels mirror polished and a complete hand wax done. I also had our previous toad tinted as well. I think the total bill was around $650.00.
Do you remember what the cost of the wax job and wheel polishing was? Also do you have their contact info?

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #13

"Tasty Beverages"

Gotta store that term in my (too short) memory bank
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There are two types of tint...one for motor vehicles, one for houses. The auto tint will not work on double paned windows, it retains heat and will crack the window. The residential tint is okay for double paned RV windows because it reflects the heat...it is put on the inside of the glass.

Be SURE to check with the company who will install your tint that they have the correct material. The company who does my cars had no clue they could not do the MH until I asked them to call the manufacturer of the tint...who told them not to do it.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window