Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #15

i re-stringed one so i got to know how it works, i hence made the strings a couple inches longer. now all of them are very easy to go up and down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like curtains and have been thinking if it is possible to take the window treatments down and put up valences and curtains. I like to switch out my curtains for the different times of the year. Also thought about the blackout thermal drapes like we have in the s/b. Just a thought and option.

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have restrung my shades once now I am going to restring a couple of them the second time. I agree with everything the OP stated they did not like about the day/night shades. The OP was looking for suggestions so I have one. We have investigated replacing ours with Levelor Motorized cellular shades. The double wall shades advertise insulation qualities. We like the motorized option because when you bring them all the way to the top they fit very tight. When traveling you just hit the button bring them to the top and you do not have to worry about them banging around while you are moving. I do not think it gets any easier than hitting the raise or lower button on a remote. We have not replaced them yet because we are temporarily living in our MH and I do not want to replace them until I get back to the stick house and can take them off to do an accurate measurement then wait until the new ones arrive. I agree with the earlier poster about DW and wanting to get undressed. I could not leave them off while we are living in it.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I have restrung my shades once now I am going to restring a couple of them the second time. I agree with everything the OP stated they did not like about the day/night shades. The OP was looking for suggestions so I have one. We have investigated replacing ours with Levelor Motorized cellular shades. The double wall shades advertise insulation qualities. We like the motorized option because when you bring them all the way to the top they fit very tight. When traveling you just hit the button bring them to the top and you do not have to worry about them banging around while you are moving. I do not think it gets any easier than hitting the raise or lower button on a remote. We have not replaced them yet because we are temporarily living in our MH and I do not want to replace them until I get back to the stick house and can take them off to do an accurate measurement then wait until the new ones arrive. I agree with the earlier poster about DW and wanting to get undressed. I could not leave them off while we are living in it.
I like the idea of pushing a button. Have you figured out how you are going to get power to every window in the motorhome? Seems that would be as big a challenge as replacing all the window treatments.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella222 View Post
We miss our metal mini blinds in the adirondack but I went to Walmart and bought curtains they have some nice cream damask ones for under $ 10. This way we can leave shades up and pull curtains over. Plus made the whole rig look classy!!!!
I like the mini blinds as well. We have a couple of them in the Endeavor and they are easy-peazy. I don't know why more manufacturers don't install them stock.

For hanging the curtains did you use spring rods or install brackets for the curtain rods to hang on or????? We have valances? (the fancy shadow box thingy) around all the windows so I think curtains would have to fit inside that box. Could be a bugger mounting brackets up inside the box.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #20

Okay, not to sound stupid but who is MCD?

I need new window treatments especially the windshield curtain. Looking for options with reasonable cost impacts. I was wondering about ordering from a JCP or Sears Window Treatment Department.Any thoughts or suggestions?
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #21

http://mcdinnovations.com
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
I like the idea of pushing a button. Have you figured out how you are going to get power to every window in the motorhome? Seems that would be as big a challenge as replacing all the window treatments.
On my tiffin the window valances are tucked up right next to the bottom of the cabinets at the roofline. These cabinets have reading lights in the bottom of them and switches in the cabinet. I am just going to take power off of the hot side of the switch and the ground off of a light. Drill hole at the bottom of the cabinet and then run wires behind the valance.

They also sell them with an option to put batteries in the motor portion of the shade. I am not sure how long those would last but with rechargeable batteries might not be too bad an option.

You can see them at lowes.

For My tiffin all of the shades in the coach area. This would not include the passenger or driver window or the front windshield. These do not have day/night shades on them. I am looking at about 2600.00 with me doing the work myself.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #23

We used tension rods on the ones with valences. New rig has regular curtain rods.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #24

Thank you Duoglide1!
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
I agree. The first time my DW touched those day/night things, they broke. I think she learned some new words that night. We tried to restring them once and after following the online instructions found that the cords on one side were too short. We cut them EXACTLY to their specs. We then and there decided that was not going to work. We went down to Lowes and bought some wooden blinds that would work just fine, had them install them and they are beautiful. They work fine too. Ours were a little bigger than most of you indicate yours are. One was 74" wide and the other was 78" wide. Yes, we have large windows, the better to see you with. NO MORE day/night shades for us.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
The only problem we ever had with day/night shades is broken string on the shade on the front window (which was slanted) of the oh bunk on our C. This installation was inappropriate as the tension and wear caused by the angled installation wore out the string. We restrung the blind with heavy duty fishing line and didn't have any problems.

We hand D/N shades in our A (dp) and have not had any problems and especially like the opportunity to have daylight with some protection without totally closing and blocking the view as would happen with drapes.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick327 View Post
I agree. The first time my DW touched those day/night things, they broke. I think she learned some new words that night. We tried to restring them once and after following the online instructions found that the cords on one side were too short. We cut them EXACTLY to their specs. We then and there decided that was not going to work. We went down to Lowes and bought some wooden blinds that would work just fine, had them install them and they are beautiful. They work fine too. Ours were a little bigger than most of you indicate yours are. One was 74" wide and the other was 78" wide. Yes, we have large windows, the better to see you with. NO MORE day/night shades for us.
I think I'm leaning towards the mini-blinds/wooden blinds/faux wood direction as well. The idea of pushing a button and having magic happen is cool, the prospect of getting wire to all the windows not so much. The idea of dropping $120-$150 a window not so much at all.

How's it been living with the wooden blinds? Do they rattle going down the road? Were they real wood or faux? Given the environmental challenges of motorhomes I worry about real wood. I was thinking of aluminum mini's for ours, but the warm look of wood sounds really nice. Also, what size slats did you go with? 1"? 2"? Bigger?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
I think I'm leaning towards the mini-blinds/wooden blinds/faux wood direction as well. The idea of pushing a button and having magic happen is cool, the prospect of getting wire to all the windows not so much. The idea of dropping $120-$150 a window not so much at all.

How's it been living with the wooden blinds? Do they rattle going down the road? Were they real wood or faux? Given the environmental challenges of motorhomes I worry about real wood. I was thinking of aluminum mini's for ours, but the warm look of wood sounds really nice. Also, what size slats did you go with? 1"? 2"? Bigger?
You probably do not want to go the motorized window route then. I believe the motorized option alone adds a 150+ to each shade. MCD shades are ok I do not think I would like them I have seen them on other coaches but I believe you are again in the 150+ option for just the shade.

Tags
window