Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Windscreen covers - color vs heat build up?

Our coach had a black snap on windscreen, driver window and side door window cover when we bought it. God quality, works well, and not too much of a problem to install or remove.

It is the color black that has me wondering. We're in Yuma, and facing South with AM to PM sunshine on the windscreen.

I'm wondering if anyone has had both a black, and then a lighter color (tan/beige/off white) windscreen. If so, any guesstimate of the difference in coach heat gain? 10, 20, 30% cooler?

We're thinking of changing over to Magna Shade, and wondering if cooler interiors would be part of our payback.

TIA for any thoughts on this, best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
going to watch this
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Of course the darker the color the hotter the temps. I'd get a tan/beige.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

Windscreen covers - color vs heat build up?

I just ordered a Magna shade and asked this same question. I was told that the black fabric absorbs the heat instead of it passing through and since it is spaced off the glass, the airflow dissipates the heat better than the light colored fabrics. Another drawback with the light colored fabric was the fact that it tended to glow in bright light and gave off a lot of glare in the coach. They seldom have complaints about the Black or Brown but do have dissatisfied customers with the lighter colors. So I ordered black. I have noticed that shade screens on greenhouses and other applications are always black. Call Magna Shade, they were very helpful and seemed well informed.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto here for MagnaShade characteristics and experience...
Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

RV Windshield Shades of Flordia

I bought a windshield, side windows, wiper covers and storage bag from RV Windshield Shades of Flordia almost two years ago. It is a black set. I was told that they sold way more black covers than other covers combined. I have been more than pleased with its performance. One advantage I love is during day light conditions it acts as a one way mirror, I can see out but outsiders can't see in. I also bought a full length awning extension, tire covers and rug. Everything matches! The windshield cover was custom made on site. UV protection is a must in a motor coach.
xflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

The key is having the cover on the outside of the window rather than the color. If it is outside, the sun never enters the coach.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with xflyer. I bought mine from the RV toy store in Palm Springs. They snap on to the outside. They're gray and even in direct sunlight they're cool to the touch. You can see out but not in.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
The key is having the cover on the outside of the window rather than the color. If it is outside, the sun never enters the coach.
Totally agree! All of ours have been black as well.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an exterior silver/gray color cover made for mine at a local upholstery shop.

$100 installed with twist lock tabs. Owner has a motorhome and I think he made me a good deal.

Our coach has silver, black and blue designs so we decided the lighter the color the better it would be for reflecting heat.

It is a big help when the coach faces the sun all day.

We've only had this one color so I can't estimate what the difference in colors would do.

I agree with Ludmilla that it has to be outside.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #11

I had a Beige Prompt windshield cover on my PaceArrow that I had for fourteen years and now a Black Magna Shade on this coach. I can't tell any differance between the two colors. I think the black looks better though.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:08 AM   #12

Have a chocolate brown Magna Shade front and sides, works well and do not think a lighter color would preform much better.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:13 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by xflyer View Post
I bought a windshield, side windows, wiper covers and storage bag from RV Windshield Shades of Flordia almost two years ago. It is a black set. I was told that they sold way more black covers than other covers combined. I have been more than pleased with its performance. One advantage I love is during day light conditions it acts as a one way mirror, I can see out but outsiders can't see in. I also bought a full length awning extension, tire covers and rug. Everything matches! The windshield cover was custom made on site. UV protection is a must in a motor coach.
I have the same since 2010 that I bought in Apache Junction, AZ; the colour is dark brown and it is just fantastic; it is the 94% UV protection type.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #14

Curious to know how are the external window covers at night as far as seeing into the coach with interior lights on?

Tags
heat, scr