Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Shores View Post
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=121608976836

We bought 2 of these and they work good enough for the price. They turn on and off with the power so it's set it and forget it. I also bought batteries for them or else they don't hold any memory. Batts are a Nokia cell phone unit and were about $4 each, also off eBay, and 32 gig mem cards at Walmart. Poof presto we're protected! Lol
I've been using two like this for about 2 years now. I do have the problem with not holding the menu settings. I assume you replaced the internal battery with the Nokia cell phone unit. Is this correct?

Thanks

Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We have a GoPro 3+ that is on whenever the RV is moving. I set it for 20 min segments and the camera then starts throwing away the oldest segment when the memory card is full. So far I have never captured anything of any real interest, but it's good insurance.

The GoPro video quality is probably the best you can get for this application.

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #17

I've had a Transcend brand HD dash cam with micro SD card for a couple years now. It loops for about 3 hours in 3 minute clips and can be set for motion detection, sudden impact, etc. I usually just have it "on" whenever I'm driving. It works great and comes with an HDMI cable to readily play back on a TV. Cost somewhere around $125. Although it is a high definition camera, my only disappointment is that it really isn't clear enough to read passing license plates in the event of an incident. I like having the inexpensive coverage "just in case".

I've often viewed the recordings after passing through remarkable scenery. Just need to remember that the content scroll off after 3 hours. Oh, it also comes with an adapter for the micro card.

Good news is that this type of technology is improving and becoming more affordable every year.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

Just bought a go pro 3 it is a great unit and support 164 gig
Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just bought the DOD LS460...it was highly rated. Will read instructions this evening and install later this week.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
I've been using two like this for about 2 years now. I do have the problem with not holding the menu settings. I assume you replaced the internal battery with the Nokia cell phone unit. Is this correct?

Thanks

Fred
That's what I had to do because it didn't come with a battery when new. We have only had them for 2 months and no problems yet. Ya get what ya pay for but I wasn't interested in spending lots of $ for our first one. Lol
Old 05-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just bought the DOD LS460...it was highly rated. Will read instructions this evening and install later this week.

Don, that's a pretty expensive camera! Is there a particular reason you chose to go with that one? I'm kinda looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K32IUI2BFPVPYS

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought a 1080 p dash cam made by Pilot with 4 Gb card. With 3 yr warranty. 42.00 at Walmart. Works great.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Bought a 1080 p dash cam made by Pilot with 4 Gb card. With 3 yr warranty. 42.00 at Walmart. Works great.

I didn't find that one on the Wal-Mart website. Can you post a link?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the camera at our Walmart. Didn't purchase it online.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been looking at a dash cam for some time now and came up with the KDLINKS X1. Its a little more pricy than others, but it has excellent heat/cold tolerance, a GPS, good day/night video, & comes with an SD card. It also has a 5-Star rating on Amazon by over 400 owners. Going to the KDLINKS web site you can buy it for the same price as Amazon without shipping charges or sales tax - $169.00.

One thing I read about the lower priced units is that many have very poor/no manuals or support. Which ever one you buy, make sure the company has a U.S. presence.

I'm looking forward to hearing about some of your hardwire installation experiences & how it looks.

Great thread!

Dave

KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 165 Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS, G-Sensor, WDR, 2.7" Screen and 8GB Micro SD included - Car Dash Camera
Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I didn't find that one on the Wal-Mart website. Can you post a link?

Pilotautomotive.com
Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
I bought the camera at our Walmart. Didn't purchase it online.

Google Pilot Dash Cam
Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Highly recomend you check out this website https://dashcamtalk.com/ for Camera info. These guys really get into this stuff, and if you go into the forums on each camera, you will find even more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
I've been looking at a dash cam for some time now and came up with the KDLINKS X1. Its a little more pricy than others, but it has excellent heat/cold tolerance, a GPS, good day/night video, & comes with an SD card. It also has a 5-Star rating on Amazon by over 400 owners. Going to the KDLINKS web site you can buy it for the same price as Amazon without shipping charges or sales tax - $169.00.
Here is what that website says about the KDLINKS X1- "Not the most discreet camera and video is on par with cameras half the price. Mobius and B40 / A118 are better values."

I run a Lukas in my MH, and so far have been very pleased. Run a Panorama in my F-250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
The GoPro video quality is probably the best you can get for this application.
The GoPro style Camera's can't hold a candle to the actual "Dash Cam" style camera's especially for the price. The main problem with POV camera's for dashcams is the FishEye effect & lense apature. GoPro is so over priced for what you get, IF you were wanting to go this route, look at the Replay XD Official Site - Professional POV Action Cameras this is what the pro's use, the video smokes a GoPro hands down, and is about half the price of a GoPro. Here is my ReplayXD mounted on my dash for a temporary fix, its a very small form factor, and everything you see in the picture is included with your purchase, the mount and all the goodies, nothign is extra, unlike a GoPro.

I am certainly no guru on this stuff, just an electronic's junkie that loves this kind of stuff. You can get a really good quality dashcam for a MH in the $100 range since MH's just dont get that hot inside, unlike a car which gets smoking hot 140+ degress when parked out in the sun, this is what kills most dashcam's is the heat, the internal parts can't take it.

The Panorama is considered the best camera available in the market right now, its $180 +/-. Bought mine on Amazon, not sure if still sells there or not. I do not buy the GPS feature, A. is more $$ and B. unless you have it calibrated and sync'd up, it becomes more of a liability than a plus. For example, lets say your GPS is not correctly sync'd up, and it says you are going 75 mph when in fact you are only going 65 mph. You now have VIDEO stamped proof of you traveling at a speed that maybe considered too fast for a MH. Without GPS, your video will show an incident, which may or may not be befifical to you, but you wont have to argue your rate of speed fator on top of whatever incident.

Good Luck!

Tags
camera