Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #29

I too just purchased a Panorama but the G model with gps. Don't have it hard wired in but connected to the cigarette socket. That means I have to start the recording manually. Not a big deal but have to remember to do it. Video appears very good but haven't tried it at night. I hate driving at night so don't think I'm going to have a problem with recording quality with night driving.

One thing to note is that most do not come with a memory chip and with most you need a good, fast, memory chip. For the Panorama you need a regular sized SDxc. Can't use a microSD with an adapter; doesn't seem to work. I've got a 64GB card; good enough for about 7 hours recording. I thought it would be nice to have video of the scenery for the day if something interesting came into view. Nothing interesting yet so perhaps 64gig is a bit overkill.

As previously posted, go to DashCamTalk and read.

And, download Registrator Viewer for your computer to view the files on the memory card. It will display the video and if you have a gps equipped dash camera it will also display a map of your location along with speed and other gps data.

2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding post #28 The Lukas is a great dash cam if having one that "is not the most discreet" is not an issue. The KDLINKS X1 is $70 less and half the size of the Lukas. But the Lukas is on my short list. It's one of the best in heat tolerance.

ALSO comparing dash cams without a playback screen and no GPS with one that has those features is a case of comparing geek-apples and geek-oranges. How many 5-star products do we ever see? 400 happy owners get my attention.

Regarding the speed indicated on video playback, some models allow that to be turned off.

Additionally, using dash cam video in court is problematical depending on the state.

One of the advantages of the GPS is that when you're reviewing that beautiful drive, you can see where you actually were.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry Caswelld, did not word my post correctly, nor did I mean to offend you, my sincere appologies if I did.

The KDLINKS is probably a great camera, I dont know anything about it TBH. My point was these dashcamtalk guys, really get into this stuff, and disect these these things 10 ways to Sunday. They literally tear these cam's apart and look into the components that each is built with. Was merly suggesting that anyone interested in these cam's should really spend a few minutes checking out what those guys know, as there are some experts there that really know their stuff.

I have had my Lukas for 2 years now, and it works great, it was the latest and greatest when it came out. Not sure I would buy one again though, its nowhere near as slick as my Panoroma, and it seems the Panoroma has great support.

From my limited reading on the GPS issue, yes you can turn it off on some cameras, however the GPS info will still be encoded into the video, while not visible on the playback, its still there if one is smart enough to pull it.

Agree that dashcam video introduces a whole new set of problems in a court setting, however, since 99% of these accident related issues are settled out of court, think it makes a great negotiating tool when working out a non-courtroom resolutiion. Have personally had some deals where it was a he said-she said deal at first, once we broke out the surveillance video, while not 100% conclusive, the other side said folded within a week and settled.

There is also one huge item that just came to mind, that most are probably not thinking about. IF you get a dashcam with a "parking" feature, it becomes a surveillance cam for you MH. We leave our on all the time, with the parking feature enabled. Once it picks up motion, it starts to record. Am always paranoid while in some area's of our wonderful country, that someone will want to aquire some of our belongings while we are away from our rig.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #32

Dash Camera

We have the Garmin Dash Cam purchased from Costco. The main reason we chose that one is, it does not mount permanently on the dash; therefore, it can easily be moved to our car etc. It is secured by a suction cup, which works very well.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
DegoRed....No offense taken...but this is really a good conversation & one reason we all like this forum. Learning from othersí experience with products is so valuable.

Iím still looking & will check out all of the dash cams mentioned.

PS: Cool Jeep!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I didn't find that one on the Wal-Mart website. Can you post a link?
Might be this one Pilot Automotive Dash Cam - Walmart.com
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

Thanks Bob! Don't know how I missed that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I purchased a WW when they first came out. While it works, it's nothing special, and over priced compared to other options that are available.

I didn't want or need anything more than a dash camera that would record events taking place in front me, particularly someone abruptly slowing down or stopping in front of me.

I have purchased two Mobius cameras for less than $70 each Mobius Actioncam Full HD Sports Camera 1080p 30fps 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay that I use in my towed and other personal vehicle.

Here's a short video clip from the Mobius while driving my towed over Donner.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by istumpy View Post
Has anyone installed a windshield camera in there coach??? I am looking at the Windshield Witness dash cam. If you have this are other please give me some feed back.
thankshttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif
Am sure that I'd NOT go for that one. I've read that it is usually reliable, but its been around for a few years. So, the Windshield Witness ought to be considered out of date nowadays. Besides that, for the same price there are cams available which offer much better video and much better features such as the Panorama and similar.

The Mobius is impressive for the price.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the G1WH
http://www.amazon.com/BlackView-Reco...&keywords=g1wh

Rated highly, excellent picture.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
I have the G1WH
http://www.amazon.com/BlackView-Reco...&keywords=g1wh

Rated highly, excellent picture.
I like this one, and the price is right. Any issues? Are you satisfied with it? I may consider it that is why I am asking.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I like this one, and the price is right. Any issues? Are you satisfied with it? I may consider it that is why I am asking.
No problems at all. Has an excellent picture. I'm using a 32GB micro sd card which holds about 6 hours of video, then starts overwriting. So far haven't seen the need to lock any files so they don't get overwritten. It was rated the best for its cost on dashcam reviews.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
I've been looking at a dash cam for some time now and came up with the KDLINKS X1. Its a little more pricy than others, but it has excellent heat/cold tolerance, a GPS, good day/night video, & comes with an SD card. It also has a 5-Star rating on Amazon by over 400 owners. Going to the KDLINKS web site you can buy it for the same price as Amazon without shipping charges or sales tax - $169.00.

One thing I read about the lower priced units is that many have very poor/no manuals or support. Which ever one you buy, make sure the company has a U.S. presence.

I'm looking forward to hearing about some of your hardwire installation experiences & how it looks.

Great thread!

Dave

KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 165į Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camcorder with GPS, G-Sensor, WDR, 2.7" Screen and 8GB Micro SD included - Car Dash Camera
I also bought the KD Links X1. It comes with an 8 GB card, which I upgraded to 32GB (very inexpensive). People give us such little respect on the road that unfortunately it will probably be used as evidence sometime in the future.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #42

I work daily in professional video. I've been in the video business since the mid-70's. I have several HD video cameras that I use producing professional videos for my clients, including a GoPro 400.

As I looked at the various cameras suggested in this thread, I was struck by the outright false representations made by many of them. Many of them claim to be "Full HD" but they aren't! Full HD is an image that is 1920 x 1080...1,920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high. A camera that shoots 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 720 is NOT an HD camera.

If you want the clearest, sharpest image possible, only a full 1920 x 1080 true FULL HD camera will do it. They are not that much more expensive than the pseudo-HD cameras of lesser resolution.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP

Tags
camera