Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

If he floored it, he would of kept going straight...

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
That's the theory, although I hope I'm never in the position to have to test it...

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post

He already had it floored

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I've been driving for almost 50 years without the need for recording my every movement. I don't see the need for it but you're likely to get responses re: having video of accidents or incidents on the road. I guess they're inexpensive enough that if it makes you feel better having it you might consider it.

People today have gotten to be very paranoid.

To each his own but if you have ever been in one of those "he said, she said", kinds of fender benders which many have, you will quickly be happy for the visual proof especially if it saves you a few hundred or more on insurance deductibles. Check this out as an example of why they can be so helpful

RAW: Craig Schneider's dashcam video - News - CBC Player

The story that went along with it was that it was an attempted shake down. The tune quickly changed when they discovered there was a dash cam. Suddenly it was "we don't need to involve the police" yada, yada, yada. For $250.00, it seems like an easy way to protect yourself from the mass of bad drivers out there or in cases like this where scam artists are at work. My wife commutes every day and she has one on the dash. It just goes in a loop, we don't review it but should the time come when there is an accident, she will have the visual evidence about what actually took place.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #19

That kind of little stuff is called "no-fault"

Old 05-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
"no fault" is code for "you all get to pay". That little stuff you refer to was an attempt to extort money out of a motorist who was just minding his own business. Without that camera, he would have been out money that he shouldn't have been. It is really just another form of insurance.

It's an individual choice. No one is going to force someone to have one of these. But it isn't paranoia either to have one. That video was just one example of how for a relatively low amount of $$ you can potentially save yourself quite a bit later. There was another example in the local news recently of how one of these camera's caught an incident of road rage where a driver left his vehicle and struck another through his driver side window. That video led to an arrest and assault charges.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #21

Windshield Camera Benefits

I would fear the perp and rather leave than directly confront, then call the cops. No telling how violent or drugged or drunk the hoodlum may be.
My Wrangler would not be damaged by such a tap anyway.
In the US, "no fault" on little taps is where you each pay your deductble (if the damage exceeds it). No idea how it is in Canada.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #22

We were in an accident last year in Florida. A car made a right on red and hit us. They told the police I ran the red light. Another driver who witnessed the accident stopped and gave me his phone number and told me she ran the light. I gave the police the number and she was sighted. Had it not been for the witness I would have to pay my $500 deductible and it would have put points on my license. So I went and bought a dash cam and use it all the time in the MH and toad.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I bought one on E Bay about Four Years ago! It's great to be able to review some of the roads and routes,but above all it is there recording every moment of Our Trip! In the event of an accident there will be irrefutable Proof of Who is at fault!

If memory is still correct We paid about $30 for the Camera and another $30 for the SD Card that stores 8 hours of Video and Sound in 15 Minute Segments.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #24

I went online and found a relatively inexpensive dash camera to install in my company car, which is branded with the auto insurance company name on the side. I've been in the business for nearly 30 years and I'm still amazed at the blatant disregard for fellow drivers and violation of driving laws. While I'm in the company car I have to remember I'm representing my company. And it's apparent to me that other drivers are aware of that as well. Last second, no signal lane changes - Running cross traffic red lights - passing in the curb lane - not stopping for pedestrians in the crosswalk. You name it, I've recorded it on my unit. For me it's a matter of preserving evidence to protect myself and others. You have to remember, a car is much more maneuverable than an rv. Imagine trying to execute a quick lane change to avoid a red light runner in an rv... It's your word against theirs. My unit records in 15 minute loops and can be set to record when motion is detected, which can also be a valuable asset at campsites.

Tags
camera