Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Windshield Camera Benefits

I have read another active thread that discusses what windshield camera to buy.

But, I do not know what purpose the camera serves.

Is this another "nice to have" toy for our rigs or has it produced some dollar savings for the owners?

What use do you have for the video recorded?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Look at YouTube for all the crash and crash avoidance videos. Most came from dash cams. It seems a lot of folks consider the price low enough these days to put in a dash cam tied to the ignition and let it do a rolling 20 minutes to probably day's driving in order to have a record if they have an accident. Some places doing an edit for scenery would also be nice but less common.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

I've been driving for almost 50 years without the need for recording my every movement. I don't see the need for it but you're likely to get responses re: having video of accidents or incidents on the road. I guess they're inexpensive enough that if it makes you feel better having it you might consider it.

People today have gotten to be very paranoid.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a GoPro camera that I use for a dash cam but it has many other uses. I wanted a video record to show a LEO if some clown pulled in front of me and stood on the brakes for no reason. My family likes to see some of my travels as they appear thru the windshield and also enjoys seeing my many hikes to different sites. I also install it on my 4 wheeler to record my travels. Well worth the money IMHO.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Many dash cams can also be set to a mode where they record movement while the vehicle is parked.....this is a way to potentially catch a vandal or thief while the RV is in storage or you are away from the motor home for some reason.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I have read another active thread that discusses what windshield camera to buy.

But, I do not know what purpose the camera serves.

Is this another "nice to have" toy for our rigs or has it produced some dollar savings for the owners?

What use do you have for the video recorded?
My opinion is that it is a "nice to have" toy. I bought one for my hubby's birthday a couple of months ago and he has yet to take it out of the box.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #7

gopro's are one thing but to get a camera dedicated for crashes is crazy... I see the advantages of getting it if there is a discount on insurance but I dont know of any companies that does... so why bother. Those crashes on the internet are places that mandate these devices (for insurance, legal aspects). But, Im old school, If Im a professional driver... sure why not, but no one is paying me to drive our MH.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

I purchased one for no other reason than to have documentation if an accident occurred..

Too many times I have seen poor driving by others that have caused me grief.. panic stops, quick lane changes, you name it.. I don't want to get into an accident.. but I DO want to make sure I have an impartial witness if I should..

I have a nice looking rig.. full body paint.. in the society we live in.. I can honestly say I could become a target of someone looking to take advantage of me and the hard work it took to get the things I have.. We have recreational vehicles.. many will think we have recreational money... why put our recreational dollars in jeopardy because I didn't want to spring for a $100 dashboard camera..

I hate to be cynical, but its the world we live in...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Windshield Camera Benefits

They are truly nifty toys! I know many that use them.
I don't see enough need to be recording all of the time, nor the DVR running, nor would I plan to replay the views. I get more than enough to look at with the pics and videos I already take! Not enough time for that, nor a fear of scams in front of me.
Those fear videos of the tricksters are out of Russia, where you must take your wipers off when you park; they WILL be stolen!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I wanted a video record to show a LEO if some clown pulled in front of me and stood on the brakes for no reason.
I had a couple close calls like this which are making me think about getting one, but I haven't done anything about it.

I had one case where I saw a white Yukon SUV pull out of the lane behind me to pass, barely got in front of me then pulled back into my lane so close to me that I couldn't see pavement between me and that vehicle. I instinctively slowed down when that happened, which was a good thing because a moment later that person stood on the brakes to be able to make the turn onto a side road. It all happened in less than a second. I also stood on the brakes and I have no idea how I missed hitting them. I have no idea if they signaled, because they were so close I couldn't see the back of their vehicle.

With a reckless driver like that, I'm sure that had I hit them, they would've denied passing me and cutting me off, and would've claimed that it was all my fault. In a situation like that, having a camera could make a world of difference. (And yet, I still haven't bought one... )
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

I find that lots of people really don't like following a large motor home. And, before I owned one I didn't like following them. There solution is to pass, on either side of you and then pull in front. I've had several instances and the last one caused me to slam on the brakes hard enough I was afraid I would unload the cabinets. After that one I bought a dash cam. It is on anytime I drive. So far, nothing has happened so maybe it is a magic charm that keeps people from doing crazy stuff to me.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I just purchased one and it is definitely a 'nice to have' for us. The event I wish I had been able to capture was a grey wolf crossing the road directly in front of us in Yellowstone last summer. DH said grab the camera, I said I wasn't taking my eyes off that awesome animal for a second for fear he'd be gone by the time I got back with the camera! If only . . ..
Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Having dashboard camera's will allow one to have and post a video such as this (from recent thread)

WATCH: RV crash on I-10 | WBRZ News 2 Louisiana : Baton Rouge, LA |

I just hope and pray everyone is safe !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Having dashboard camera's will allow one to have and post a video such as this (from recent thread)

WATCH: RV crash on I-10 | WBRZ News 2 Louisiana : Baton Rouge, LA |

I just hope and pray everyone is safe !!

Great example!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera