Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #15

I picked up a nasty "star" on my way home today, just to top off another "check engine" light filled trip!

Right in my line of site and about the size of a half dollar. 1 piece windshield... I can't fathom how much to replace!

Mal

I hate my coach

Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
So sad & sorry to read your comment "I hate my coach". I will wish you many safe miles filled with smiles

Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #17

Just frustrated right now. I've owned this coach for 8 weeks. I've been on 4 trips with it and each time something had gone wrong.

Check engine light three times due to a crankcase pressure sensor, dash air inop from delivery, several trips to Cummins and Freightliner while they pointed fingers at each other.

Blew a coolant line off a distribution block, lost all the coolant and overheated.

Now this past weekend - supposed to be a nice bonding weekend with my son out to Cass West Virginia. Check engine light trips on the way out. Power is reduced and the engine brake is almost non-functional. Made the mountain pass quite stressful. Limped it home, barely making 60 mph. Now has a red Stop engine light and won't go over 5 mph.

Talked to Freightliner today... He was saying the fault codes are due to the DEF system. Not sure how that would affect the engine brake. I think the turbo is shot. We'll see tomorrow, hopefully I can get Freightliner to send a tech out... Otherwise it'll need to be towed.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
You have experienced more than a "shake-down" cruise in getting all the bugs out! Again wishing you more smiles with safe miles!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
RE: Permatex DIY Kit. You may want to read these reviews with suggestions: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Permatex 16067 Bullseye Windshield Repair Kit, .025 oz. Syringe Consider or reconsider
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
If you go to a Auto Parts House, you can buy a do it yourself windshield repair kit (Permatex brand). I keep one on board for those times whenever you get a chip while on the road. They're easy to use and they work pretty darn good for the repair, but more importantly it'll keep the "chip" from growing into a full blown crack (don't ask me how I know this). It's nice to have in case you get a chip on your toad as well....Cheap Insurance for around $12.00.

Just My Opinion.
Just got back home, and I caught three chips on this trip!! I had one of these on board for the first one. Went to wally world and bought two more for spares. All three chips were repaired and chip won't develop into a crack and will keep me from having to buy two windshields. Cost me about 12 bucks each. Easy to fix on the road at a campground.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #21

I will preface my comments by stating that I used to own and operate a windshield repair company. A chip that is repaired correctly with good quality resin should be guaranteed against getting bigger for the life of the vehicle. Note that repaired correctly does involve training and experience. Good quality resin costs about fifty bucks an ounce and is not available on a wall hook at the local auto parts store or wally world. Any repair is still visible to some degree because the repair resin refracts light differently than glass.

I have had countless customers that have used super glue, nail polish, etc. Unfortunately these household items do not bond adequately to glass, nor penetrate the entire break. In addition, they often clog up the tiny passageways in a break making it difficult to make a professional repair later. Those that have had "success" with household repairs have just been lucky, as some chips can go years without spreading. Depending on temp. changes, vehicle movement, type of rock chip, and just glass being glass, no one can accurately predict how long it may be before a small chip takes off into a long crack.

I personally know of no reason why a windshield tech would not repair a motorhome chip. As long as the damage is in glass with two layers (like a windshield) it doesn't matter what type of vehicle. I once repaired a Stutz Bearcat inside a car show. Granted it is tougher up a ladder at the top of a class A or sitting on the top of hot semi truck engine. Yes, single pane glass, like storefronts, can be repaired with different resin, and techniques. Most windshield techs don't do window panes.

The parts store ten buck kits seldom do the job completely. A bullseye chip may fill completely with mediocre resin. But any chip with star legs, scalloping, etc is next to impossible to repair well without the proper material and know how. As stated before, most repairs are free to the customer with adequate insurance coverage.

Finally, some one asked about what percent of chips fail. They can fail during the repair process (very rarely, but it is glass.) They can last for years with no repair. I had a customer that went a year with a star chip. He decided the next day he would get it repaired. That night it split out while parked unattended. Best thing is to place a small piece of tape over the chip. Keeping dirt and moisture out ensures the best looking and strongest repair at that site.

Yes, even some cracks can be repaired. I have saved expensive, one piece, Class A glass with a two foot long crack. Most techs will say not, and certainly don't press the issue with them. They have not the experience, training, or techniques to do long cracks. Buy chance are they can fix that rock chip you have so it is protected for as long as you own the vehicle. (I am officially retired now and no longer do repairs)
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Call your insurance company, most, if not all, will waive your deductible and have the chip "repaired" for no charge to you.

If there were some magic elixir or system for preventing windshield chips, then Safelight and/or our insurance companies would be pushing it!
Not all of them do I have safeco and they do not waive deductible for windshield repairs.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #23

Insurance Companies don't waive the deductible to be nice, they are only make you think that. Many states require a 0 deductible on all windshield replacements and repairs. It's part of their rate structure.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #24

Only 4 states have 0 deductible glass.. Florida, Kentucky, Mass and S. Carolina.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I have Safeco also but I live in Florida. They recently told me my deductible applied to the windshield until I pointed out Florida is one of 4 or 5 states that by law have no deductible on windshield replacement.

I have a 10 month old Entegra and was on a two lane road going from Santa Fe into Texas. One of those muddy oil field gravel haulers went flying around me with the sign on their tailgate that said "stay back 300 ft-not responsible for damage" and of course gave me two windshield chips with small cracks. My windshield is huge and they are difficult to install and get a good seal. I chose to try a professional windshield repair guy from Safelite at no cost to me! The guy did an excellent job. You can't see any trace of the repair except what looks like two bug marks. I'd try repair first.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I will preface my comments by stating that I used to own and operate a windshield repair company. A chip that is repaired correctly with good quality resin should be guaranteed against getting bigger for the life of the vehicle. Note that repaired correctly does involve training and experience. Good quality resin costs about fifty bucks an ounce and is not available on a wall hook at the local auto parts store or wally world. Any repair is still visible to some degree because the repair resin refracts light differently than glass.

I have had countless customers that have used super glue, nail polish, etc. Unfortunately these household items do not bond adequately to glass, nor penetrate the entire break. In addition, they often clog up the tiny passageways in a break making it difficult to make a professional repair later. Those that have had "success" with household repairs have just been lucky, as some chips can go years without spreading. Depending on temp. changes, vehicle movement, type of rock chip, and just glass being glass, no one can accurately predict how long it may be before a small chip takes off into a long crack.

I personally know of no reason why a windshield tech would not repair a motorhome chip. As long as the damage is in glass with two layers (like a windshield) it doesn't matter what type of vehicle. I once repaired a Stutz Bearcat inside a car show. Granted it is tougher up a ladder at the top of a class A or sitting on the top of hot semi truck engine. Yes, single pane glass, like storefronts, can be repaired with different resin, and techniques. Most windshield techs don't do window panes.

The parts store ten buck kits seldom do the job completely. A bullseye chip may fill completely with mediocre resin. But any chip with star legs, scalloping, etc is next to impossible to repair well without the proper material and know how. As stated before, most repairs are free to the customer with adequate insurance coverage.

Finally, some one asked about what percent of chips fail. They can fail during the repair process (very rarely, but it is glass.) They can last for years with no repair. I had a customer that went a year with a star chip. He decided the next day he would get it repaired. That night it split out while parked unattended. Best thing is to place a small piece of tape over the chip. Keeping dirt and moisture out ensures the best looking and strongest repair at that site.

Yes, even some cracks can be repaired. I have saved expensive, one piece, Class A glass with a two foot long crack. Most techs will say not, and certainly don't press the issue with them. They have not the experience, training, or techniques to do long cracks. Buy chance are they can fix that rock chip you have so it is protected for as long as you own the vehicle. (I am officially retired now and no longer do repairs)
Thanks!! I'm not saying that a "professional" repair is not better. I sure you were good at what you did (you said you were) but I'm on the road or in the boonies and get a chip, I'd rather have a "wally world" repair and have it 90% unseen than wait 2 days for a professional to arrive and take a chance on ruining a windshield by having the chip develop into a crack. Maybe I've been lucky, but have successfully repaired chips on MH and Toad glass many times, but I HAVE had to replace w/shields when I deem them unsightly or when the repair is in my sight of vision.
Just stating MY OPINION, you can make your own decision.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you Gruelens for your knowledgable insight. I have a very small 1/8th inch very shallow chip that has been there approx 8 to 9 months. Would you recommend repair or monitor it, which I have done it is no larger, or have safelite repair it now? Thanks for your reply!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #28

I picked up two chips in Louisiana last winter and when I got to Lake Charles I called a windshield repair outfit and they sent two bubbas out to do the job. They did a half--- job and charged me 50 bucks. I did not make an insurance claim. I called the owner the next day and he said it was another perfect job and left. I doubt if any further repair can be done and it looks worse than before the repair. So much for professionals. I'll go get my own stuff next time ans then I can blame myself for a lousy job.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote