Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Windshield Chip Fix and Prevention Products

We have a Class A motorhome with the full windshield. Sure enough, during our last outing the windshield picked up a small chip (half the size of your small fingernail) on the passenger side lower right. Questions are:

1) Do you know of any companies that fix RV windshield chips? I called
Safelight and others and they only fix autos:

2) Do you know of any "films" that can be applied that you know works?
One product I have read about is "Surface Shield".

I have also heard in the past there is a company that sells the NASCAR
type of film that peels off and also just saw a commercial of a spray product from 3 M.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, this is weird. Safelite DID repair our motorhome windshield about 7 or 8 months ago. We got a small "star" from a rock and they went to the storage facility to fix it. The poor repair guy had to borrow a very tall ladder from the storage maintenance guy because he didn't realize how tall motorhomes are.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Safelite repaired the one on my Brave a few years back.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

If you go to a Auto Parts House, you can buy a do it yourself windshield repair kit (Permatex brand). I keep one on board for those times whenever you get a chip while on the road. They're easy to use and they work pretty darn good for the repair, but more importantly it'll keep the "chip" from growing into a full blown crack (don't ask me how I know this). It's nice to have in case you get a chip on your toad as well....Cheap Insurance for around $12.00.

Just My Opinion.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Safelite repaired my windshield about 2 weeks ago. I called my ins co and they set everything up. My windshield was repaired a couple hours after I called. The Safelite loaction in Baton Rouge had a loading dock that provided the perfect height for repairs.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Safelite locations are independent franchises so each may have their own rules about what vehicles they can work on.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
We have a Class A motorhome with the full windshield. Sure enough, during our last outing the windshield picked up a small chip (half the size of your small fingernail) on the passenger side lower right. Questions are:

type of film that peels off and also just saw a commercial of a spray product from 3 M.
Call your insurance company, most, if not all, will waive your deductible and have the chip "repaired" for no charge to you.

If there were some magic elixir or system for preventing windshield chips, then Safelight and/or our insurance companies would be pushing it!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob,
There are many windshield repair entities out there. some are good, some are fly by night.

The best one I have had is the GlasWeld technician. Their technique hardly leaves a pin-prick on the windshield. See if there is one in your area. It's worth it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #9

Safelight repaired the bullet-chip in my windshield really well - to the point where I will use them again for any other repair.

Definitely call them in person and explain the situation - the online block-check wizard just messed things up and was not helpful.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone I received a lot of great tips. The Charlotte area Safelite office does not do RVs but I will reach out to other areas. My four point plan based on responses so far include:

1. Call my insurance company for ideas;
2. Call my local RV dealer which is Tom Johnson in Concord NC;
3. Check at auto parts store for a product called Perma Tex;
4. Re-call safelite and see if any other stores do RVs

Great responses....thanks again..
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
A word of caution - A couple of years ago I had a chip repaired in Yuma and when I got home I wasn't satisfied with the repair so went to my favorite glass shop to have it fixed. They wouldn't work on it saying they had no idea what chemicals the person in Yuma had used and they were afraid of possible nasty chemical reactions. The Yuma repair was a "fly by the night" guy that wanders around truck stops looking for us.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post

Rock chips appear to be almost inevitable. I'm not aware of any practical applications (films etc.) that might prevent them. Almost any auto glass company has the means to repair them along with many independent operators (of varying expertise). Some insurance companies will cover the cost with no deductible since it's much cheaper than replacing a windshield. If you get one, get it repaired as soon as possible to prevent spreading and a much more expensive repair. I've had at least four repaired in various locations. Done at the RV Park in every case at a cost of $50-60. Repairs are almost never perfectly invisible if the sun is at a certain angle, but are mostly unnoticed in normal driving conditions. Beyond a certain size and if it's spread already, it may not be repairable but most are, if you get to it soon enough.
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #13

We had a chip fixed, however we notice that coach windshields flex quit a bit. Does anyone know what percentage of chip failures there are on coach windshields?

We love our coach!!!!
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #14

Over the years I have just used clear nail polish. It stops the ding from enlarging due to elongated cracks, or spider webbing, and is hardly noticeable.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote