Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Windshield cover hest/sun blocker

Hi, we have a 2014 Itasca Sunstar and we're looking for something to help keep the heat from the windshield out of the RV, and if possible, still be able to see out to some degree. The RV currently only has the two curtains from the factory.
I try to park, when possible, so that the windshield is not facing west but sometimes the camping site is what it is.
I saw a few posts on the subject but they were a little dated 2011, as an example. One mentioned Sunguard, or possibly making your own. I'm figuring there may be something else out there now.
Thanks for any suggestions you have - we're wide open to them all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Magna Shade is a favorite of many, including myself.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Magna shade is top notch uses magnets and is easy to install to be sure!
I refused to pay that much and bought , online, the snap on Sunguard. Several snap designs and custom made to order for much less. You do have to have a small ladder to put the top snaps on.
Definitely recommend a outside shade however to block the heat outside not inside the coach.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

We have both day and night full electric shades in the front but DW wanted something better. We bought a spring loaded shower rod and she ran up a curtain out of a decorated material with colors and theme that match the RV. The curtain is about 28" long and we install it so the bottom of the curtain just touches the dash. It still lets us see out, keeps a majority of the sun out but limits what others can see inside. Curtain folds for easy storage and rod travels cross way in the basement. About 2 minutes to thread on the rod and put up or take down.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Magna Shade or similar is you best bet. It blocks the sun from the outside therefore blocking before it heats up your windshield. Curtains on the inside are not nearly as efficient as the sun has already heated the windshield and the area between the windshield and the curtains.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The Magna Shades are a great product, but if you don't mind climbing a bit and installing the shades with snaps there is a less expensive product. I have owned shades from SunPro Mfg in Arizona for two different motor homes and their product is outstanding. They sell a set of windshield cover, DS and PS side window covers, and windshield wiper covers all in a storage bag for around $259. They can also make side window shades in any size. I ordered five extra side window shades plus the windshield set, and everything was under $500. Below is a photo of the exterior and an inside photo showing the view from the front with the shade installed. These are their 90% grade shades in black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SunProShades.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	133976   Click image for larger version

Name:	SunProShades-2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	133977  

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Magna Shade is the best. I pulled into an RV park just a few weeks ago. The wind was howling and I had no problems putting them up. Someone came up to me the next day and they said they were amazed how easy the shades were to put up in the wind. Besides that, they do a great job of blocking the sun and keeping the coach cooler. And they look good.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the outside shades. Also, use the pillows in the roof vents.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #9

X2 pillows,shades and may I suggest if there is a slideout you don't need, keep it tucked in too. Less air to cool, less area exposed to the sun.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #10

Thanks for the pics - they always help. Amazing how well you can see through the 90% shades. How difficult is the install to get it right? I will check out both the SunPro and the Magna Shade.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:34 AM   #11

Thanks, tell me more about pillows in the roof vents. Like cheap couch pillows from Wally World? How do you keep them in there?
Old 07-24-2016, 05:15 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the favorite way to mount the supra windshield shade, snaps, twist lock, dual lock (velcro ).

I'm leaning towards the velcro as not to be drilling holes into coach.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
These are a square vent cushions that press fit into the ceiling vent opening made specifically for this. They sort of stay in place.
Vent Cushion - Intersource D10-146 - Fan and Vent Accessories - Camping World
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If, like many, you avoid Camping World whenever possible, Amazon has these and a lot of other RV products.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-S...v+vent+cushion