Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Windshield crack

I have a 2008 Winn. Sightseer that has a 1 ft. crack on the driver side front windshield. The crack started at the middle post and is spreading upward.

I was wondering if it worth trying to repair, if so, what would you recommend. I am looking at a $500 deductable from my insurance company and I would like to save some money but I don't want to do something that I would regret.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I would think that 1' is beyond repair.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

I was in the windshield repair business for years, and a one foot crack is not a problem to repair at all. The problem is finding a "tech" in your area that's competent enough to repair it.

Where is the coach now?
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
I was in the windshield repair business for years, and a one foot crack is not a problem to repair at all. The problem is finding a "tech" in your area that's competent enough to repair it.

Where is the coach now?

I stand corrected , however I wouldn't have it repaired.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A good tech can Probably fix it, problem is a motorhome flexes much more than your average car. The crack will probably continue to run shortly after the repair..... and after you hit a good sized bump

You'll have to replace it eventually. I've had to replace two on passenger side and one on the drivers side in the eight years I've owned my coach.
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

The proper way to repair it aside from paying a $500 deductible only to take another rock chip in the new glass, is to "drill" a stop hole ahead of the crack. Then they will carefully force the crack to continue to that hole, that's when the bridge (injection tool) will be used to fill the void and stop the crack in its tracks. A really good tech will make that crack really hard to find, and just as strong as the original glass.

Flex away, doesn't matter!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post

Where is the coach now?
EXACTLY!!
Ours had gone to right at 13" in a sort of "S" curve and, I called a tech to see what could be done. We have a $1,000 deductible so, replacing each side would be out of my pocket anyways so, if any fix at all was possible, then I'd go for it.
Well, the tech came out, said no problem and went to work on it. The repair was a great job. You can, if you look in certain lights, still see most of it but, it's about 50% disappeared to the un-trained eye. It cost me a whopping $100 for that tech to make a 75 mile run, to and back, to fix our $850 passenger side windshield. That was 3.5 years ago and, it has not moved since.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

In Dacula, GA, a town northeast of Atlanta.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

I drove our new (to us) MH from Tuscon to Philly area and got two chips along the way. I got my first chip in Texas, I used Safelite in New Orleans to fix it. I got my second chip in Alabama, I drove it home and had Safelite fix it in my driveway. They do not drill the cracks any more, they use suction to force the bonding agent into the crack. The chips cost about $120 each to fix. You might give your local Safelite a call.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

Depends on the skill of the tech, most don't drill because they were not trained properly. The only way to properly repair 99% of rock chips is to drill them, otherwise the "resin" which is injected into the void under pressure, has no way to access the void. The suction portion of the repair is built into the bridge/injector and is used to remove air/black spots, drawing it out past the resin, then back under pressure, more suction, then pressure again and in some cases a dozen times.

If the guy doesn't drill, don't let him touch it. All that will do is block the passage for a proper repair down the road.

I'm sure Safelite has some decent techs, but they are in the business to "sell glass". I would recommend finding a repair only guy IMO.

The best guy in the business is " Nobetr Windshield Wizard" he's in Johnson, MN but spends the winters in the Phoenix Area. His name is Ron, PM me if you want his number. It's a little far from GA, but if you're planning a trip anywhere near him it would be well worth the stop.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Had a crack repaired , about 8" long and several smaller chips. Been through hot weather cold weather several trips now still doing good. Gene in Yuma several people recommended him. Been doing it for a long time.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #12

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think that I will just replace the window.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #13

One note, Winnebago has an issue with the windshield frame rusting. Make sure the frame is OK so any repair will last.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I had no idea you could repair a cracked windshield like that. Love these forums! Good to know, in case I ever get one. Thanks.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote