Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Windshield damage for replacement vs "repair"

Hi:

We took a big rock in roughly the middle of our one piece 105 x 49.5"
Vectra windshield. A chunk about the size of a nickle was removed and it spidered well outside the diameter of a quarter.

The insurance company is sputtering about our demands for replacement vs so called "repair" which cannot be guarantee'd not to crack at any time nor to restore the clarity of our windshield. The damage also reduces the value of our rig by the $3k cost of a replacement or more.

We would appreciate any of your experiences with this issue especially regarding how much damage justifies replacement and the
long term veracity of these so called "repairs".

Thanks in advance.

Sewfishy

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!

><{{ ){('>
<")}()}}><
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
KIX

Perhaps if the damage was in the line of sight for the driver..........
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just out of curiosity what insurance company do you have??

I haven't had to replace an RV windshield yet but I have had to have a few car/suv windshields replaced. My insurance company never mentioned repairing the old ones.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Per your description that damage is not repairable. Spidering in the glass is only bound to increase over time. As such, I would suspect a new windshield is called for. I am surprised that an insurance company that offers windshield coverage would balk at that. I wonder what company you are using?
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the driver's side windshield replaced and four chips repaired over a 10 year period.

The chip repairs have never given me a problem nor has the replaced windshield.

My chips were never that big...maybe the size of a nickel so I don't know what to advise other than ask the repair company what they think.

I'd be a bit worried about replacing the whole windshield if the company doing it doesn't know what they are doing for fear of improper sealing coming apart at a later date.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #6

Sometimes when you lean on it a bit while cleaning they give way...
Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a rock hit the windshield right at the bottom just above the gasket and a crack started to migrate up. We were in Fairbanks Alaska. I took it to a windshield repair facility and had them drill a hole at the end of the crack to terminate it, it did not migrate on the 7K mile home. We had the windshield replace once we got home to TN. The insurance company didn't question it. The contracted with Duncan services but they in turn contracted with a local company who didn't specialize in RV's. We had trouble with the replacement shifting, had to have it pulled and reset while we were in Florida the next year. Took it right to a Duncan shop near Tampa and they did a great job, no problems for +4 years.

2 years ago my wife drove the coach up to Michigan and the last mile she had a dump truck throw a rock and put a +quarter size chip in the center of the one piece windshield. There was no spider cracking. We called a repair site and the came and used a vacuum/resin system to repair. If you know where to look you can see it but other then that it is not a problem.

Been there done that both ways, it depends on what your insurance company will do BUT no matter what make sure you get quality repair service.

Good luck.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

I've had a couple of windshields repaired. Personally, especially with motorhomes, I'm much happier to leave in a well-sealed windshield than have it pulled out. The general rule used to be that out to about a quarter it can be repaired, but I don't know that it's a hard rule (now, if you are talking a couple of inches, that's obviously well beyond a quarter). And generally that it be out of the primary line of sight of the driver.

Just make sure that they will cover replacement without considering it a second claim if this repair doesn't hold... but if it does, I think you are much better off unless your windshield has other chipping, etc., that leads you to want to replace it.

Steve
Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Safelite repairman told me if you can cover crack with a dollar bill he could fix it. He was repairing chip in my windshield at the time.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking Sucess - full replacement approved.

So.....

We negotiated and held our ground until the insurance company (Foremost) caved for a new windshield rather than a repair. The good folks down at RV Fog Doctor in Searcy Arkansas helped us out and will be replacing our windshield next week.

Thanks for all your good words and a big thanks to George for his consult.

Sewfishy

Laissez les bons temps rouler!!

><{{ ){('>
<")}()}}><
Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure they check for rust in the metal framework, very common problem with Winnebago's in your time frame. I had a big chip repaired first and then had the windshield replaced about 3 years later. I am glad I had it replaced as they caught the rust fairly early and treated it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think Foremost is better than some others to deal with. I had them for a lot of years but now have the lizard company.

They had a repair done on mine about a year ago that was larger than I thought was the limit. It was/is close to the size of a half dollar. It's s held up so far but I sure don't like the way it looks.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
Safelite repairman told me if you can cover crack with a dollar bill he could fix it. He was repairing chip in my windshield at the time.

The drivers windshield was replaced last week on my Journey. When I called the insurance company they asked if a one dollar bill would cover the chip. I took a dollar out there and parts of the chip extended beyond the sides of the dollar bill. Insurance contacted Duncan and the windshield was replaced. This is the second drivers side replaced in about three years. Fortunately, I don't have to pay a deductable for the glass replacement.

I asked at the repair shop if they report back the damage so the insurance company actually knows the repair is/was necessary. Nope, so unless someone from your insurance company comes out to inspect it or they want photos it is your word that it needs replacement. I don't have a photo with the dollar bill but did take one with a tape measure. I don't think they could have repaired this one like they do the smaller chips/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110114 trailers 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	79026  
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
Per your description that damage is not repairable. Spidering in the glass is only bound to increase over time. As such, I would suspect a new windshield is called for. I am surprised that an insurance company that offers windshield coverage would balk at that. I wonder what company you are using?

Actually from what I have been told by a glass repairman with decades in the business when they repair the glass with the epoxy they force the epoxy up into the crack and it strengthens the glass where the crack is. I would be more worried about the chunk that was missing than I would the crack.

With that said. Several insurance companies I have done business with over the years offer an option. If you have it repaired no deductible, if you decide to have it replaced you pay the glass deductible but the option is up to you. I do not know what my current insurance company does because I do not have a deductible for glass replacement. If they try to force me to have a large break repaired they will be my ex insurance company.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, replace, replacement