Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Windshield damage seems like we are cursed!

We have had four chips in the motorhome windshield just this year. One was a chip turned to a big crack. Plan to just replace the windshield in a few weeks. I will eat your hat, but we got a new big chip up high Saturday.

I drive with lots of spacing ahead of me, seems the problem is folks coming at me. 20K mikes this year, all in lower 48 on paved roads or highways.

Getting so I think I'm jinked. Not sure anything you can do short of not driving to prevent it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The last three chips we got were caused by a truck going the other way. There was no traffic in front of us.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Community Administrator

I had one of those in Alaska.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The last three chips we got were caused by a truck going the other way. There was no traffic in front of us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had both our windshields replaced this spring by Progressive Ins. and within two months we got a chip on the very bottom of the drivers side. It now is starting to crack.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may want to consider caring a windshield repair kit, in hope of repairing the crack before it travels. A rock hit us from a truck coming the opposite direction during our recent trip from MN to CA. I've used the a VersaChem Windshield Repair Kit and have been pleased with the results.
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:36 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

We have had several chips but have them repaired right away. No cracking has ever occurred

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
You may want to consider caring a windshield repair kit, in hope of repairing the crack before it travels. A rock hit us from a truck coming the opposite direction during our recent trip from MN to CA. I've used the a VersaChem Windshield Repair Kit and have been pleased with the results.
Progressive will replace the windshield. I've never had great results with the so called repairs. The insurance companies send out the "professional" repair people who guarantee the repair but in a few more years the windshield cracks and the guarantee does not cover the crack only the repair.

I think the insurance companies hope the fix last long enough for you to sell the vehicle.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

I think windshield chip repair is a viable alternative.

We have had several repaired(all by Safelite) and never had a crack develop. This is a no cost benefit from your insurance so you might as well take care of it. Safelite has always come to us making the process pain free.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have had several chips but have them repaired right away. No cracking has ever occurred
X 2 here. Chips are unavoidable.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

I've replaced several windshields in our previous TC unit over the years, but when we got our first class A last Fall I thought, boy those windshields are big! So I did some research on replacement cost and decided to get full glass replacement coverage. We were within 400 miles of home on a 7k mile trip this Summer and rocks thrown up by passing vehicles damaged the drivers side windshield. I had a choice of repair or replacement and decided on replacement. It cost $1250.00. I'm thinking full glass coverage was a good choice.

I guess it can happen to anyone at anytime.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I think windshield chip repair is a viable alternative.

We have had several repaired(all by Safelite) and never had a crack develop. This is a no cost benefit from your insurance so you might as well take care of it. Safelite has always come to us making the process pain free.

I am glad you had good luck with Safelite. I used them on a chip in the RGV last winter.....did a terrible job. They pressed me several times to replace it rather than repair it, I said no. I have a great chip guy at home, but wanted it fixed right away to avoid it cracking. I guess that's why they did such a bad job. The guy at home cleaned their mess up some.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just thinking, might be wiser to try to find a used set of that equipment, and learn to do the repairs myself.
I watched several guys do it. Understand you can go to any junk yard and practice till you learn the ins and outs.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Just thinking, might be wiser to try to find a used set of that equipment, and learn to do the repairs myself.
I watched several guys do it. Understand you can go to any junk yard and practice till you learn the ins and outs.
I've done several car windshields myself, but after learning that the glass cost me $100.00 and I could have it done for $150.00 with no risk of breaking the glass and a warranty too, I decided to go that way. I think professional glass installers get a significant price break on the glass.

I'm don't know anything about the cost of MH windshield glass, but it could be a similar situation. I know the cost of having mine replaced was $1250.00 and it probably only took them an hour to do it. If the cost of glass isn't that much you could very well be correct.

On the other hand, the increase in insurance cost for full glass coverage was less than $100.00/year so I will probably stick with that, unless that increases significantly.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #14

I just got back form a trip from Alberta to Nevada . Through Idaho they had just chip sealed hwy 15. Almost every car that passed me threw a rock up hitting my windshield. By the time I got t Idaho Falls I had 6 new rock chips, some worse than others. I pulled into a glass repair place and got them all fixed before they turned into big cracks. best 85$ I spent on the whole trip
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems