RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Windshield leak while parked on a slope

Hi,

Twice last week when parked on a slope water ran down the inside of the windshield when I lowered the jacks. It was probably about a fluid ounce of water.

Since then I have been through some heavy downpours without a drop entering.

I removed the inside windshield trim and see the metal windshield mount is dry. I inspected the outside and do not see any seal damage.

It's possible its condensation gathering in the metal windshield mount.

Before I bring it to a shop any ideas on what to check out?

It happens when I retract the Jack's on a slope.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Did you perform the inspection when the jacks are retracted on a slope?

Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Did you perform the inspection when the jacks are retracted on a slope?
Hi,

I have not done that

Thanks
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

another common place is around the clearance lights.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
another common place is around the clearance lights.
Hi Skiddy,

That is a possibility. Water did seem to come from the center of the windshield.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_185713.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	259909
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

I think most clearance lights leak if they are not checked/caulked annually like the roof!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Winnebago had a problem around that time frame. I had a 2008 Wbgo Destination 39W and the windshield leaked. It had to be taken out and the rust at the top of the windshield cleaned and then the area fixed. They had to remove the cabinets over the driver and passenger seats to fix the problem. I did not have a problem after that.

That rubber grommet you see around the outside of the windshield is not a seal. Yes it protects the underlying area from rain to some degree but not completely. The seal is between the window edge and the frame.

As stated, checking the seals around the clearance lights is a good first step.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #8

Our MH did that several years ago. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom of each clearance lens and resealed around the top-half of the base's. Must have stopped any water intrusion, it hasn't happened since.
I once had a clearance lens hold water, it rose to the wiring entrance into the 5er, then ran down into the front wall(bottom half of light base was sealed). I spent that winter in FL, rebuilding the front wall and part of a bedroom side wall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #9

Thanks all,

I will check the seals around the clearance lights. I was going to bring it to a Windshield shop who I know have worked on class A's in the past to check the windshield.

Coach is going in to indoor storage in 5 weeks for the winter so if not sorted by then I have a buffer.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 AM   #10

We had save the thunderstorms last night and not a drop of water on the dash.

We were cooped up in the coach all day/night and wet clothes were drying so a lot of condensate.

I could see the water dripping from the metal support bang in the middle of the windshield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_071245.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	259925
Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is an easy way to completely eliminate the windshield trim or pinpoint it as the problem. We are members of the “Winnebago leaking windshield club” thread found on this forum. A poster there told how he put wide electrical tape across the top rubber strip and that solved the problem very cheaply.

We had the same problem and I removed the rubber strip and found the sealer had gaps that allowed water in. I dried all with a blow dryer and the resealed with urethane sealer and covered the rubber strip with 4” black electrical tape overlapping it onto the fiberglass and window glass. Have not seed a drop of water in three years since I did that.

I also sealed the clearance lites and put a drain hole in them but that was not our problem. I also removed the top cabinets and checked for condensation on the metal framing. I saw trails in the dust on them so I put vent grilles in the rear of the cabinets to promote ventilation and when parked we always reave the cabinet doors open.

The main “cure” proved to be the tape on the outside of the windshield. It is still there and I change it as needed about every two years. A very cheap fix that you cannot see unless you know it is there. If you do not wish to leave it there, it would at least help diagnose the problem.

Ours leaked only when parked and we had a long rain. Driving thru hard rain did not cause it to leak, only when parked and water could run down the windshield. Sound like you may have the same problem when the front end is a bit low allowing any water on the roof to run down the windshield. Good luck and maybe check out the leaking windshield club on this forum.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

Hi George,

I will for sure check out the leaking windshield club.

There has been some really bad thunder storms here today and the dash is bone dry. This is definitely a mystery.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

I had the water dripping on the dash in front of the driver and 2 places where it ran down the inside of the windshield, both parked and driving.

What I did was use stick on gutters over all the windows on the bus, including the front window. Then used 4" wide electrical tape on the middle seam and bottom of the dual windows in front. The tape seems to be fairly long lived but I did have to replace the vertical piece once so far over the last 2 years.

So with all that done, I didn't see any water on the dash when I was parked during huge Iowa type rain storms, but did find it while driving during a heavy storm. Doh!

I thought it was likely the running lights so I put a small hood over the tops of the lights to channel water around them. Sort of works like a hinge too so if I need to change a bulb, the tape is hanging onto the lens at the top and not likely to lose it. Haven't had to drive in any 'big' rain storms since so not positive it'll solve the problem but have high hopes. I have driven in smaller rain events and no leaks at all.

Pictures and links to products used at my blog: Weather Proofing

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #14

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting that. I will read it later.

All,

It was torrential rain all night here and no water on the dash. Next I will put the coach up on jacks.

Tags
leak, wind, windshield