Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #1

Windshield Molding

Yesterday while returning home from Labor Day weekend, I heard a flapping sound while on the interstate. My immediate thought is I was about to lose a tire. I pulled over and checked everything and found nothing amiss. I pulled back out onto the highway and it started again. It was the rubber molding that goes around the windshield at the very top.

About 3 years ago my windshield was broken and had to be replaced, along with this rubber piece. I got out a ladder and looked at it and it appears to just be a rubber molding glued onto the windshield. The windshield itself is bonded in place and it looks like this just fills the gap. It doesn't have a piece that goes on BOTH sides of the glass. Does this just get glued in place and is this something I can fix myself, or does the windshield have to be removed. I taped it in place with some electrical tape and we made it home fine, but I do need to fix this soon. It looks similar to the picture below.
Attached Images

2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a rain gutter that goes across the top of the window. It started to come loose so after some internet searches and posting questions on another forum I found that the piece is attached to the rubber gasket by using 2 sided 3M tape, which can be found at most body shops.

I pulled the gutter off being careful not to brake it. I then cleaned it up along with the rubber gasket. Used 3M tape to put it back in place and then used a black caulk to fill the lower gap and make it look seamless. I sprayed a little WD40 on my finger to smooth the caulk. Looked pretty good when I was done and has held for 4 years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

When you say "fills the gap", where is the gap? Between the body and the gasket or a gap/ groove in the gasket. Some gaskets use a rubber piece that fits into and is an intregal part of the gasket acting like a zipper to lock the pieces together. That piece would be present around the entire perimeter. There is also a gap on mine, only on the top, that is filled by a rubber piece called an eyebrow. Its sole purpose is to divert water shedding down from the top over the glass and is glued in place. When you reinstall it make sure you use the proper adhesive, not silicone. I got a tube from the place that did the windshield install.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

It's between the body and the gasket. It's definitely not a zipper type. It looks like it just came unglued, but I wanted to make sure before I attempted any type of repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
When you say "fills the gap", where is the gap? Between the body and the gasket or a gap/ groove in the gasket. Some gaskets use a rubber piece that fits into and is an intregal part of the gasket acting like a zipper to lock the pieces together. That piece would be present around the entire perimeter. There is also a gap on mine, only on the top, that is filled by a rubber piece called an eyebrow. Its sole purpose is to divert water shedding down from the top over the glass and is glued in place. When you reinstall it make sure you use the proper adhesive, not silicone. I got a tube from the place that did the windshield install.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote