Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

windshield popping out. help

Hey friends, need suggestions with a problem. I just bought my first class a rv last month. When on the test drive with the original owner,we noticed a little wind noise and a seperation at the windshield. The owner at the time said that the seperation was not there last time he drove it. He said that the windshield had been replaced around a year ago and could be under warranty. After purchasing the rv, I took it to the place he had the windshield replaced to have some other work done and asked them to check on the windshield. They said it was not under warranty and had to reseal it. They charged 400 dollars and on the invoice it says outside labor. I went on my first trip to the mountains this past weekend and on the way back I noticed the windshield had popped out at the right lower corner and also a slight speration at the left upper. This rv is a 2000 fleetwood with the two seperate windshields. So both had a seperation but the right lower was all the way out where I could almost stick my hand through. I called the repair shop and they said they used a outside glass company and would get them to come back out and fix it. When I got home that evening I noticed nothing had been done. I called the next morning and they said the glass guy said it looked like they was stress fractures on the fiberglass as if it had been hit by something. I assured the guys that nothing had hit it for I was the one that drove it. So they contacted me back saying the glass guy said there was a 6 inch split in the fiberglass so he would install the windshield until this was fixed due to liability. I came home and inspected the entire fiberglass opening and see no breaks what so ever. I once again called them and they said they would contact me back on monday. I feel as though the glass company just doesnt want to man up to the warranty work. It also seems alittle shady that it was a outside company that did it. Any suggestions as to what approach some one would take in this situation. Also is there a glass company that yall recommend as being professional and trust worthy. Im at the point where I want another opinion but dont know who to ask. I contacted a glass company about it and they said they wouldnt go back behid someone elses work for liabilty purposes. This makes me feel like my hands are tied. They guy who did it acts like he wont do it and no one else wants to come behind someone else. Please help!!!! I feel like my rving has come to a complete stop just as it was getting started. Thank you for your suggestions!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Rushing,

It would help if we knew what manufacturer/model/year of the coach.

I hate to tell you that this problem often is caused by distortion of the basic structure.

Frank

Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Please read my post (Windshield Woes) in Fleetwood owners Forum American Coach, where you can read about my Horror story and maybe pick up some tips as what to do!!!

Hope that helps!

Good Luck,

Ed
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Windshields popping out is not uncommon on motorhomes. You are getting a run around. We had dozens and dozens of windshields repaired. The trick is to eurathane in the windshields. Most motorhome factories do not do this because the motorhome has to sit for a day to let the eurathane cure. A few of the top of the line manufacturers do use it. They have almost no problems. We used City Wide Glass in Jonesboro, Ga. They never had a problem. If you can get to Atlanta, I would highly recommend them. their number is 770-997-7226. Make plans to overnight so the eurathane can set. They are mobile. You can probably have them come to a campground and do it.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

My question is, why did you buy that thing?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
My question is, why did you buy that thing?
Why not? We drove to Mississippi and bought a motorhome for my son-in-law and the windshield was out on it. We took it to city wide and they reset it and he had no problems with it coming out again. This AINT rocket science.

You just have to take it to someone who is compentent.l
Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since this is your first RV you are experiencing what many of us already know. Fixing some things on a MH is not standard repair procedures. Because of the uniqueness of these things (a rolling home) many manufacturers employ techniques that often fail after several years of use. Windshields are one of those items.

While they can be properly installed not just anybody can do the work competently and that's what you are experiencing. Finding someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to that type of repair is a challenge.

You might give Fleetwood a call and see what they recommend. I'm sure they have a mountain of windshield repair information on record and know who and who can not fix an RV of a 2000 vintage.

If you had a car/truck windshield break or pop out you could find a good number of competent shops in just about any town in the US. Not so for an RV. They are unique.

You asked why they hired the job out to another company?? Well now you know. Not just anybody can install those windshields and even then it didn't work out. You may just have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that the first company does not know what they are doing. You are getting the run around. As already suggested get it to a place that is recommended and competent.

Why are windshields an issue in a MH??? We had a WS shatter (1999 Dutch Star 34') while driving very slowly over some very hilly bumpy dirt roads entering a CG. The frame twisted just enough that the left side WS looked like it was hit with a BB bat.

When your leveling jacks lift the MH they work in tandem (2-left, 2-right, 2-front or 2-rear). Lifting one corner of a MH is a NO NO. It can twist the coach enough to pop the WS. Keep that in mind when performing service work as well.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

If the glass guy is stating a crack that you cannot find it is likely bs to avoid warranty.

This is very easy to deal with.

Tape a marker to the windshield and ask that the crack be marked so you can find it.

Best to meet them but that may not be possible but being a subcontractor he Han state cracked unit and be clear until someone forces him to actually prove the crack exists.

Back on warranty...
If you paid a place to "fix and replace windshield" then they usually inspect for cause of a popped windshield as that is an opportunity to charge for more repairs.

Since they just slapped one in they either found no issues or were careless.

Call them back and remind them that you paid them to fix the piped out windshield and unless they can find where a tree hit your unit you expect them to get it fixed...period.

You could make an appointment to take it in and have the service manager inspect ir with the glass guy so the glass guy can show what he is using as excuse.

And next is key...

Say he does find and show a crack, have him prove it was fresh.

If it was there before he should have caught it and since he missed it then it is theirs as they should have caught it and billed you for making it sound but now they own it.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

I bought my Monaco Safari Panther last February first trip out the windshield cracked had it replaced second trip out windshield cracked I was on my way to New Hampshire this month got to the Georgia South Carolina state line and my windshield was coming out on both bottom corners couldn't get any help everyone said it was STRESS I called Darren Thomas Glass in Sebring FL. 863-655-9500 they told me to bring it in, as soon as he saw it he knew what the problem was.....the leveling system the ride height valves
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Windshields popping out is not uncommon on motorhomes. You are getting a run around. We had dozens and dozens of windshields repaired. The trick is to eurathane in the windshields. Most motorhome factories do not do this because the motorhome has to sit for a day to let the eurathane cure. A few of the top of the line manufacturers do use it. They have almost no problems. We used City Wide Glass in Jonesboro, Ga. They never had a problem. If you can get to Atlanta, I would highly recommend them. their number is 770-997-7226. Make plans to overnight so the eurathane can set. They are mobile. You can probably have them come to a campground and do it.
Sorry but the method "A few of the top of the line manufacturers do use" is no comparison with the Gasket and Glass method other manufacturers use, apples and oranges! Those windshields are glued on to the frame on a cushion of materials! The second involves No Urethane or any kind of caulking at all. Then there is the Gasket and Urethane method some Ill informed Glass shops use!!! that one is self invented and has no business in the RV repair business!
When a Gasket is used there should be no Caulking used but only Fresh New rubber! I just learned this the hard way myself!
But even then the Glass Has To FIT FIRST and that may be the problem as it was with our 2000 Am. Eagle read my new post on the subject "Windshield woes" in Fleetwood owners Forum, American Coach, sub section!

Ours was installed completely wrong and largely glued in with Urethane, which is why it could not move in the frame and why I cracked TWO windshields the next time.
Yes Fleetwood Now provides very detailed instruction kits to Glass shops on HOW to install these windshields in each particular model For Those That ASK......
Then there is the problem of glass shops that like to fix little water leaks with loads of Urethane caulking!!! What does that do but Glue the Glass IN !!!! Causing more of the same problems, DON'T LET THEM DO IT TO YOUR'S!

Our case may have been extreme but they had to cut one corner by 5/8 of 1 inch or the windshields would have overlapped on top!!!!!
that is CRAZY!!! Look at some of those new windshields and put a straight edge against it ours had a discrepancy of 1/2 an inch in the middle of the sideline and 3/8 on the bottom????? If that is acceptable quality control shame on them!

and being told that it is the fault of anything other then the initial design is also Crazy, it's not because of the levelling system or the Jack's or anything else but the CABIN and the Glass and how it is allowed to move!
Poor engineering.

Best regards,

Ed
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingDutchman View Post
Sorry but the method "A few of the top of the line manufacturers do use" is no comparison with the Gasket and Glass method other manufacturers use, apples and oranges! Those windshields are glued on to the frame on a cushion of materials! The second involves No Urethane or any kind of caulking at all. Then there is the Gasket and Urethane method some Ill informed Glass shops use!!! that one is self invented and has no business in the RV repair business!
When a Gasket is used there should be no Caulking used but only Fresh New rubber! I just learned this the hard way myself!
But even then the Glass Has To FIT FIRST and that may be the problem as it was with our 2000 Am. Eagle read my new post on the subject "Windshield woes" in Fleetwood owners Forum, American Coach, sub section!

Ours was installed completely wrong and largely glued in with Urethane, which is why it could not move in the frame and why I cracked TWO windshields the next time.
Yes Fleetwood Now provides very detailed instruction kits to Glass shops on HOW to install these windshields in each particular model For Those That ASK......
Then there is the problem of glass shops that like to fix little water leaks with loads of Urethane caulking!!! What does that do but Glue the Glass IN !!!! Causing more of the same problems, DON'T LET THEM DO IT TO YOUR'S!

Our case may have been extreme but they had to cut one corner by 5/8 of 1 inch or the windshields would have overlapped on top!!!!!
that is CRAZY!!! Look at some of those new windshields and put a straight edge against it ours had a discrepancy of 1/2 an inch in the middle of the sideline and 3/8 on the bottom????? If that is acceptable quality control shame on them!

and being told that it is the fault of anything other then the initial design is also Crazy, it's not because of the levelling system or the Jack's or anything else but the CABIN and the Glass and how it is allowed to move!
Poor engineering.

Best regards,

Ed
Gosh I guess City Wide was just lucky. they did about ten windshields a year for us. 10 X 15 is 150 windshields and no one came back to us and complained. There were about a dozen windshields that they could not fix. all Tiffin and all one model. It seems Tiffin came out with a new model and cut the windshield hole too large. They all had to go back to the factory and have fiberglass work done on the cutout.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Take it to a company that deals in auto glass replacement not to a guy who will sub contract that job out. You are really limited on having any recourse.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #13

If you are in Columbia your best bet would be to listen to ga traveler. It could be the cost of a lesson. Give them a call as suggested then decide. No matter how much half baked work you get it will all add up to half baked, be sure you deal with someone who's done many motorhomes.